Clubplanet Nightlife Community

*George Acosta is on Crack!

joeygk

So I'm chillin' at Barnes & Noble gettin' my read on, when I stumbled on a feature about Miami's own George Acosta in Mixer Magazine. He's quoted as saying it makes him feel good knowing he has more influence than Sasha & Digweed.

George........put the crackpipe down and think before you speak.

Originally posted by joeygk

So I'm chillin' at Barnes & Noble gettin' my read on, when I stumbled on a feature about Miami's own George Acosta in Mixer Magazine. He's quoted as saying it makes him feel good knowing he has more influence than Sasha & Digweed.

George........put the crackpipe down and think before you speak.

That article was in mixermag and Acosta said that in South America he attracts an audience of 5,000 people while Sasha and Digweed will only attract an audience of 1,500 people. That comment is in reference to his popularity in South America. I guess since he's a latin DJ more South Americans recognize him.

i read that in the june mixer as well and had the same reaction as you! that was awfully conceted of him to say... plus, the last time he was in chicago i'd have to say i was very disappointed with his set and so was everyone else. the dancefloor had all of 5 people on it and was cleared out/empty 2 hours before close (that NEVER happens at redno5). sorry george, but you gotta get off your high horse and back to reality.

Originally posted by pastilling

HI every1

Thats totaly tru,

aqui in Hialeah nobody knows any Chacha or Dig-weed(we know weed) .

But Jorgito(gerge acosta) is the fawkin man, everybody knows him

He plays the very best music in Miami.

Hay meng....fuera de mano!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by pastilling

HI every1

Thats totaly tru,

aqui in Hialeah nobody knows any Chacha or Dig-weed(we know weed) .

But Jorgito(gerge acosta) is the fawkin man, everybody knows him

He plays the very best music in Miami.

Oye mijo, that is too funny :laugh:

I think George has turned into a joke, I've seen him spin about 20 or more times in NY, DC, and here, and he is ALWAYS f*cked up...his sets turn into his own little parties with his friends and he in the dj booth getting f*cked up and hanging out, like the crowd isnt even there...

Well well, I can't believe there is actually a thread about Acosta. I'm probably one of the biggest GA fans on this board and will always try and stay loyal to him. I too read the article in Mixer and definitely raised an eyebrow when I read that line. I don't think Acosta is 'on crack', as Joey stated, but I think he was rather just trying to say it made him feel good to know that in a certain part of the world he may have more fans than two of the most highly respected DJ's in the world. Either way it's not very good exposure to have something like that written in Mixer. And I think the article was titled 'the big cheese.' lol Yeah I will agree with that to a certain extent. George has definitely changed his style over the past year and plays a lot more mainstream. I think after that last night at Shadow something was just left behind, and he just has not been the same since. I've only seen him spin once or twice at Level, and it simply was not the same atmosphere he used to create at Shadow(RIP). I can totally understand why most of you guys think he just f@king sucks. And I have slowly been finding I would rather listen to progressive house than hard trance. But there is just something that happens to me when I go and see GA spin that doesn't happen all too often, and it usually involves numerous shots of yager and non stop dancing. It's always a great night for me even if he drops some cheesy tracks in there, and I will continue to remain a loyal Acosta fan. It appears that in Miami trance is dying, but hey if anyone saw his set at Ultra, 20,000 people with their hands in the air... the man must be doing something right.

Later,

Chaos

Originally posted by chaos33

Well well, I can't believe there is actually a thread about Acosta. I'm probably one of the biggest GA fans on this board and will always try and stay loyal to him. I too read the article in Mixer and definitely raised an eyebrow when I read that line. I don't think Acosta is 'on crack', as Joey stated, but I think he was rather just trying to say it made him feel good to know that in a certain part of the world he may have more fans than two of the most highly respected DJ's in the world. Either way it's not very good exposure to have something like that written in Mixer. And I think the article was titled 'the big cheese.' lol Yeah I will agree with that to a certain extent. George has definitely changed his style over the past year and plays a lot more mainstream. I think after that last night at Shadow something was just left behind, and he just has not been the same since. I've only seen him spin once or twice at Level, and it simply was not the same atmosphere he used to create at Shadow(RIP). I can totally understand why most of you guys think he just f@king sucks. And I have slowly been finding I would rather listen to progressive house than hard trance. But there is just something that happens to me when I go and see GA spin that doesn't happen all too often, and it usually involves numerous shots of yager and non stop dancing. It's always a great night for me even if he drops some cheesy tracks in there, and I will continue to remain a loyal Acosta fan. It appears that in Miami trance is dying, but hey if anyone saw his set at Ultra, 20,000 people with their hands in the air... the man must be doing something right.

Later,

Chaos

Thats what Im toking about, you c??

Somebody who actually knows about music.

I miss the 'sharo' too, the pills used to be waaaay more shiper....

"Has anyone else heard the rumor that he'll be residing @ Space,

after his contract is up @ Level?

Biz, Spacious .... Fact or Crack?"

First of all, I can't believe I actually sat here and read all the way thru this thread. There's definitely nothing to do in Miami on a Monday night...can't wait for football. But now that I have, I will put my 2 cents in...

GA at Space...it's only a rumor. I also heard it.

Next...

I don't think we should all be jumping on the "GA used to be a good DJ band wagon" just yet. I have known George for a long time now and there is one thing I can say about the man...don't ever count him out! He is one of the most talented individuals I have encountered in my 25 years in this business and he will prove you wrong. If perhaps he is going thru a case of "DJs block" (kinda like writer's block) it might be due to the following.

I believe that the club is just as important as it's resident DJ. There have been many a time that I have seen the club and it's audience make a good DJ a great DJ. Check your records and see how many DJs got famous by spinning at clubs no one knew about. The club gives the DJ a platform to express his talent to his or the club's audience (whichever got there first, usually the club). Without a proper club (sound/lights/etc.) and an audience that challenges the DJ to excel there is no great DJ.

Give the man time to find a proper club and an audience that challenges him and we will re visit this thread.

"That's my story and I am sticking to it."

I've seen Acosta at Exit in NYC, in Level, and at Ultra.

He was pretty sick at Exit, even though the crowd blows hairy cock, they have 10000 times more energy and knowledge of what goes down then that idiotic crowd that I seen in Level. His set at Ultra was good, he held it down, following Oakenfold wasn't easy, but he did a good job, especially when he dropped Can You Dig It, wasn't a bad set.

whatever.. making statements implying that you, attract more people or have more, influence then two of biggest dj's in the world. in addition to being rather pompous, it is unproven. imo it indicates a certain level of insecurity .. I think his sets have become dated, predictable, and lack energy. I doubt very much that has, anything to do with the venue.if you have the talent, you should be able to rise to the top. regardless of the obstacles. however that's my opinion, others may feel differently. :)

it will be interesting to see, what the next level will be for Mr. Acosta.

i was reading this thread...and its kind of ironic, i saw Georgie at La Guardia during my little "wait" for my plane, guess i caught him on his way out, think he had a gig at Exit...i said whats up to him, told him i was from Miami...bla bla bla...actually he was alot nicer then those days at Shadow Lounge...i still think he needs to buy two airlines tickets when he travels...One for himself and the other for his ego!!!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

i was reading this thread...and its kind of ironic, i saw Georgie at La Guardia during my little "wait" for my plane, guess i caught him on his way out, think he had a gig at Exit...i said whats up to him, told him i was from Miami...bla bla bla...actually he was alot nicer then those days at Shadow Lounge...i still think he needs to buy two airlines tickets when he travels...One for himself and the other for his ego!!!:rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: LMAO!

Having had GA as our resident at Shadow for so long, I have watched him give countless interviews. Most of them were forced upon him by me or people like me who stood to gain from the publicity he sometimes gets.

The simple fact is that he is not very comfortable giving interviews and that usually leads to him saying something that comes out wrong...or is taken the wrong way. I remember an interview that appeared in Mixer a couple of years ago in which he said something like "I love looking out of the booth at Shadow at 5am and seeing brothers with full gold grills waving their hands in the air for my music". My reaction was "is he on crack?" What he meant was that Shadow and his music attracted a very diverse crowd from all walks of life. What I'm saying is that I'm sure he did not mean to say that he was going to kick Sasha's ass and make Digweed his bitch. I know the respect he has for those guys and what they have achieved.

Give the guy a break. If you don't love what he does behind the decks, don't go see him...but don't judge him or his ego from what you read in an interview. He really is a good guy. He has made one hell of a career for himself. And...he gives very bad interviews.

Dade