***HomeGrown Roll Call- 7/23***

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by joeg

not to start trouble... (oh wait, since when do i care...)

Don't get me wrong... I probably like dj dl more than anyone there... and its definately cool to have a guest or 2... but 90% of the lineup are people from other places or established djs...

I think the descrepancy is just how the party is being promoted... its your party, you're more than free to do whatever you want with it... just don't promote it as something its not...

I think thats what justin's trying to voice... (don't get me wrong, he has bigger moodswings than a pms'ing 13yr old girl that he'd want to have sex with.... but hes got a valid point, and people have been saying things... (don't ask me to call ppl out, i'm not going to... if they wanted it voiced publicly, they would have had the balls justin did.)

while we're on the topic of feedback (And yes, i'm giving feedback, not attacking... lets be clear on that...)

It'd be nice to aim for each dj spinning a different genre, IMO...

like every week, 1 house, 1 trance, 1 techno, 1 dnb, 1 breaks... etc.. etc...

I don't know... just my thoughts... take them as you will...

So you've highlighted the lines "No attitudes, no discrimination based on experience" and "local up-and-coming talent". Are you trying to say that we don't do our best to do that?

We have had less experienced DJs spin at HomeGrown and we will continue to do so. That statement does not say that the party will be entirley composed of less experienced DJs. It means we will not discriminate.

Second...we have had nights with D&B, techno, tech-house, house, and progressive. Is it possible to host all genres every time. No it isn't. It happens that the pool of DJs that have expressed interest (submitted a demo) to us happen to be largely composed of house and progressive DJs. Therefore it is not a surprise that a mojoirty of the DJs we have brought in have fallen within those categories. We bring in all kinds, but we work within the limited pool of DJs that we have.

Tommorow we have house, tribal, breaks, progressive, and trance. I think that is a pretty wide array of styles. It isn't easy to find a party that consitently delivers more. Bear in mind this is a small party and we can only do so much. So, your suggestions are noted, and are completely in line with our actions throughout. We will continue to do so.

Originally posted by roha3000

So you've highlighted the lines "No attitudes, no discrimination based on experience" and "local up-and-coming talent". Are you trying to say that we don't do our best to do that?

We have had less experienced DJs spin at HomeGrown and we will continue to do so. That statement does not say that the party will be entirley composed of less experienced DJs. It means we will not discriminate.

Second...we have had nights with D&B, techno, tech-house, house, and progressive. Is it possible to host all genres every time. No it isn't. It happens that the pool of DJs that have expressed interest (submitted a demo) to us happen to be largely composed of house and progressive DJs. Therefore it is not a surprise that a mojoirty of the DJs we have brought in have fallen within those categories. We bring in all kinds, but we work within the limited pool of DJs that we have.

Tommorow we have house, tribal, breaks, progressive, and trance. I think that is a pretty wide array of styles. It isn't easy to find a party that consitently delivers more. Bear in mind this is a small party and we can only do so much. So, your suggestions are noted, and are completely in line with our actions throughout. We will continue to do so.

i'm not judging 1 way or the other... i'm just clarifying the point i believe justin was making...

as far as not being able to find talent from each genre... its definately hard... but not impossible...

dnb: thehacker, bluewater, misjif, small change? theres plenty more that just haven't heard of the party who would love to jump in... kris can fill in all the blanks...

not to mention plenty of Local breaks djs... wool/cer/sara walker/shuga/mike robinson/k-swing/brickhouse (uk garage/2step)/bk mike (sometimes?)/miss bliss/etc..etc...

theres a lot of great local techno talent too... zoran/charlie ruhle/the hacker (does live PA's that are great)/echostar/etc..etc...

maybe a thread like "what local talent would you like to see at homegrown?" would help...

obviously you're putting in a lot of work to make a great party, and you can't do everything all the time... so maybe a little feedback will help make your jobs easier...

Guys let me just say something here.

First off, as much as we all like to attend and support Homegrown, this is not your party. The party and control thereof belong to the people who work to THROW it.

It is THEIR decision as to what happens each week and if you don't agree with that, then either don't come, or speak to them PRIVATELY about it. It's called tact and i suggest that SOME of you exercise it sometime, unless you seem to enjoy pulling others into your own personal war.

Second off, because the HG crew can book WHOMEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT, WHENEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT, it is NOT your decision or even your position to criticize them for failing to live up to YOUR expectations. If you want to take a moral standpoint and criticize, just realize that you aren't perfect and yes your shit does smell too.

If the party is only for local DJ's, then realize that eliminates pretty much everybody else outside of a set radius of NYC.

That means DL shouldn't be there.

That means that I shouldn't be there.

You can say "oh no you can spin too" all you want, but you can't have it both ways. give the man PROPS for driving from BOSTON to get down here to spin for NO PAY.

Go to enjoy the music provided FREE for you by a WHOLE CREW of hard-working people and please for one last time, keep politics and dancing SEPERATE.

Originally posted by cintron

Guys let me just say something here.

First off, as much as we all like to attend and support Homegrown, this is not your party. The party and control thereof belong to the people who work to THROW it.

It is THEIR decision as to what happens each week and if you don't agree with that, then either don't come, or speak to them PRIVATELY about it. It's called tact and i suggest that SOME of you exercise it sometime, unless you seem to enjoy pulling others into your own personal war.

Second off, because the HG crew can book WHOMEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT, WHENEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT, it is NOT your decision or even your position to criticize them for failing to live up to YOUR expectations. If you want to take a moral standpoint and criticize, just realize that you aren't perfect and yes your shit does smell too.

If the party is only for local DJ's, then realize that eliminates pretty much everybody else outside of a set radius of NYC.

That means DL shouldn't be there.

That means that I shouldn't be there.

You can say "oh no you can spin too" all you want, but you can't have it both ways. give the man PROPS for driving from BOSTON to get down here to spin for NO PAY.

Go to enjoy the music provided FREE for you by a WHOLE CREW of hard-working people and please for one last time, keep politics and dancing SEPERATE.

*round of applause*

very well said...

its definately cool to have a guest or 2... but 90% of the lineup are people from other places or established djs...

I think the descrepancy is just how the party is being promoted... its your party, you're more than free to do whatever you want with it... just don't promote it as something its not...

Good point joe... I think a lot of people may have missed that...

Good point Ron...I think some thickheaded morons seemed to miss that one too.

Good point joe... I think a lot of people may have missed that...

I agree... Cintron's point is well taken, but that's not how Homegrown is advertised.

I don't think it's "politics" to point that out, nor is it especially tactless... it's more of an honest inquiry: "Hey, what's going on? Is this really what you're trying to do?" Of COURSE it's Ron & Bog's party... let them do with it what they will... and people will react accordingly.

Originally posted by hoke

I agree... Cintron's point is well taken, but that's not how Homegrown is advertised.

I don't think it's "politics" to point that out, nor is it especially tactless... it's more of an honest inquiry: "Hey, what's going on? Is this really what you're trying to do?" Of COURSE it's Ron & Bog's party... let them do with it what they will... and people will react accordingly.

I want you to tell me how HomeGrown is advertised. In my prior posts I quoted directly from flyers and other posts that have been made. This is how HomeGrown is marketed. If you undertood it differently then there is nothing I can say to you.

I think there may have been a post or 2 in the past which said we will give the 'bedroom' DJ a chance to spin. This is still in line with what we are doing. Just because the party is not primarily composed of 'bedroom' DJs does not mean we are not doing as we said were. I think I have already explained this and we are beating a dead horse. Either you agree or you disagree, but there is nothing more to say.

Originally posted by hoke

That was a little harsh...

I am getting frustrated with this argument. I know how this party is promoted. I promote it. We are and have always been completely in line with our promotion. Anyone that says otherwise has misunderstood. Thats it.

theres no need for namecalling in this thread, cupcake...;)

Well this is entertaining. Honestly I don't give a fuck who is spinning, i mean shit... all this techno garbage is just repetitive nonsense. :D

I go to Homegrown to hang out with u loud mouths. If a cracked out raver boy is bitching and complaining about spinning, just find him a nice 14 year old and shove em in the bathroom.

And joe, if u ever want to open your mouth again in public see my sig first. Thanks for your cooperation.

:blank:

Lesson One:

If the party isn't yours, but you still enjoy it and moreover it's FREE.... then why complain. It's thrown by music enthusiasts and DJ's just like the rest of us, not a corporate committee out of touch with the world.

Lesson Two:

If you want to spin, then you get your ass in gear and make a damn good demo, give the demo out to SEVERAL people, not just a HG crewmember. Have people talk about your mix. Talk to Qwest, submit it for airtime. Get feedback. Become involved. be a people-person.

Lesson Three:

Have icecream. It's too damn hot to sit in front of a computer and bitch about something.

'limited pool of djs'

yeah, its hard to find djs in nyc... :confused:

I gotta head out for a while... if theres still any confusion on my point, i'll clarify it when I return.

Have a nice day. :)

In case you haven't noticed, 95% of the time, we do not go out and solicit DJs to spin at our party. We give spots to those that show interest. They are primarily the ones that support our party and we are happy to give them spots.

The limited pool of DJs are those that express interest, ie. submit a demo. We now have a a team of 4 ppl working on this party. Therefore our pool of DJs is growing, but you can't expect the world.

This entire argument is coming from ppl who thanked me over and over for bringing in DL the last time. Now we brought him back and you all have a problem with that. Well, you can't have everything you want. We do take suggestions to heart, but you guys are more than simply a fickle bunch. You now seem to want everything your way. Accept the party for what it is. In the end all we try to do is make it fun for all.

I want you to tell me how HomeGrown is advertised. In my prior posts I quoted directly from flyers and other posts that have been made. This is how HomeGrown is marketed. If you undertood it differently then there is nothing I can say to you.

I think there may have been a post or 2 in the past which said we will give the 'bedroom' DJ a chance to spin. This is still in line with what we are doing. Just because the party is not primarily composed of 'bedroom' DJs does not mean we are not doing as we said were. I think I have already explained this and we are beating a dead horse. Either you agree or you disagree, but there is nothing more to say.

Ron, I told you I didn't want to complain right now -- I'm inclined to wait and see what happens. But whatever the intention was when this statement was written, I hope you can see how it might have been misunderstood:

Homegrown is a weekly party for DJs by DJs: a weekly showcase of NYC’s up-and-coming local DJ talent. This is the party that gives the bedroom DJ's a shot at the spotlight, and the music head a chance to hear the unheard.

Every Tuesday night from 8 till 2, you will be seeing 6 DJs dropping tasty beats from different genres. This party is free and its sole purpose is to support the scene in NYC. No attitudes, no discrimination based on experience, just fresh beats from fresh DJs. You can also expect to see some surprise guest DJ appearances from time to time.

If you would like to spin, come down with a demo,

and within a few short weeks you'll be placed behind the decks.

1) "showcase of NYC's up-and-coming local DJ talent": well, we've already seen that not all the DJs are from NYC... not a whole lot to argue there.

2) "gives the bedroom DJ's a shot": you have to admit that makes it sound like the bedroom DJ is a priority. Whether or not that was your intention, the advertising is misleading.

3) "its sole purpose is to support the scene in NYC": this statement could be interpreted in many ways. If you just mean that you're adding another party to the scene, then you're on the right track. But again, I think a few people thought this meant that you'd be supporting NYC DJs... we're seeing outside DJs take precedence over our friends, and we're just asking if that's how it's supposed to be.

4) "no discrimination based on experience": well, you yourself said in this very thread that you wanted to bring "the best talent"... Now, that does sound like discrimination. I think people expected from this statement there'd be more emphasis on giving the little guys a shot... that's all.

5) "from time to time": every week?

Look, obviously it's your party, and what you want to do with it is clearest in your own head -- but instead of arguing with us about what the party should or shouldn't be, why not just admit that the flyer led to some incorrect assumptions? It obviously did, so I don't really see why you would argue that point!

Lesson One:

If the party isn't yours, but you still enjoy it and moreover it's FREE.... then why complain. It's thrown by music enthusiasts and DJ's just like the rest of us, not a corporate committee out of touch with the world.

Just because we enjoy the party doesn't mean it's not okay to ask questions about what the party's goal is... it's not a black and white issue -- you can enjoy something and still have questions about it.

Lesson Two:

If you want to spin, then you get your ass in gear and make a damn good demo, give the demo out to SEVERAL people, not just a HG crewmember. Have people talk about your mix. Talk to Qwest, submit it for airtime. Get feedback. Become involved. be a people-person.

I thought this party was supposed to get away from all that self-promotion bullshit... it's about giving people a shot, remember?

Lesson Three:

Have icecream. It's too damn hot to sit in front of a computer and bitch about something.

I'm in an air conditioned office. :tongue:

Cintron, I appreciate your desire for purity in the scene -- you know I do. But the purity has to come from both sides -- the partygoers AND the people throwing the party. Some of us felt the advertising was misleading, and we raised some valid points. Is that not okay? :confused:

*sigh*

New Yorkers will be New Yorkers...

at this stage of the game i'd figure that if opinions are like assholes, people should realize that not everyone wants to see your asshole or hear your opinion.

hehe now thats some funny shit :D

Lou (^_^)

Questioning is okay. I never said it was wrong.

Some people tend to think that their questioning also means They're Right and someone else is WRong... so it doesn't really come out as a question or an inquiry, but as a barbed insult meant so they can get their shot in.

Also, it's not about self promotion, but then again you must realize that the DJ'ing scene is one in which you're dealing with people all the time. You deal with em to get you to spin, you spin to em, and then you talk to more afterwards and repeat the cycle.

It all comes down to letting people know WHO you are - you'll find that on any level, regardless of how "open" it is.

Ron said it himself - it's not an open decks event. Go to Pseudo for that.

The website clearly states that if you want to spin, BRING A DEMO and talk to the people running it. It might be more lenient than say getting a spot at groovejet or vinyl, but it's still a process nonetheless. It's all about just getting out there and showing who you are and what your sound is...

and NOT bringing drama ;) it's a celebration, not a debate!