Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Whats The Deal With Grandmaster Flash

In the last 4 months, a lot of music magazines from dj times, ministry, and more are all doing feature stories on grandmaster flash. I see he's one of the guest djs all over the world at the electronic festivals.in germany, japan etc..I know he's considered one of the fathers of hip hop..the mans been doin it for 27 years. Even at the music events here in ny..there's an area for old skool.

He gets the props from a lot of music producers, remixers and dj's.

How do you feel about him doing a set at the roxy...

. . It may have something to do with the rising popularity of breaks . . I mean, I'm speculating here . .but alot of the nu skool . .no ALL of the nu skool eventually traces back to that . . sad thing is, the producers now are taking a path away from the funky, urban sample driven sound and focusing in on this wacky sliding bass two-steppy dark stuff . . . .

Originally posted by joeg

i saw him at smirnoff, and i was just like "wtf...."

Yeah I had a better time at weddings than in GMF's room at Smirnoff. And get off the goddamn microphone for a few minutes so we can hear the crap you're playing. It sounded like KTU "Level 1" or some shit like that... :laugh:

Originally posted by sdeelite

grandmaster flash is awesome...

he's one of the godfathers of the scratching technique...don't hate...

He was awesome back in the day, but he was neither scratching nor showing any technique. Just yelling his own name like a madman on the mic. I'm not hating on him, just hating on bad music at a good venue.

question is..if flash, flex, biz markie, or kid capri came on for one set maybe 45 minutes thats all, would it be phat or flat. A lot of the music in the downtown scene is hip hop, R&B and especially old skool. I'm not talkin ghetto parties..I'm talkin the so called A crowd..even old skool rappers like RUN DMC, DUGGIE FRESH, SUGARHILL GANG etc rip it up for a predominately white crowd all over the world. Lets say even if LIL KIM walked on stage and ripped it, I'm asking would it be cool as a novelty or not...

I remember awhile back at EXIT i seen Kid Capri and thought it was horrible. I dont really like the idea of bringing hip-hop/rap music to the main floor. Majority of clubbers are at clubs to hear music that they cant hear anywhere else or in there rarest forms and special mixes. I like things the wasy they are.

~SaL C.~

:cool:

BobG, definitely not a good idea. He plays hip hop and rap music. I heard him one time at Sound Factory on a Friday like 3 years ago. The people who go to Roxy want to hear House Trance and dance mixes. What about Jason Oheda. Heck, get Rob Corbet. That guy was great.