Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bloomberg's anti smoking policy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . Fuck all of yous . . . I should be able to smoke a fucking cigarette at a bar . . .Next thing we know they're gonna make the futile attempt to ban them in clubs . . . :rolleyes: . . bull . . shit! . . .

Please justify.

Originally posted by jimk29

Why don't you let us know why we shouldn't be able to smoke...

It's not black and white. I do think you should have a right to smoke. But I also think I should have a right to go out drinking or dancing without inhaling your second-hand smoke. Therefore, I only support your right to smoke in places where I will not be, i.e. not in public places.

The people in LA have been living with policies like this for years. No smoking in bars, clubs, or restaurants. Eventually we'll all get used to it.

A bartender woking an 8 hour shift inhales the equivalent of 1/2 pack of cigarette smoke. The same bartender also has a 1.5 to 2 times greater chance of contracting lung cancer than someone working in a non-smoking environment.

Ask former flight attendants who used to work when they allowed smoking on planes.

This bill will pass because Mayor Mike is focusing on the employees of establishments.

Originally posted by brooklynkid

The people in LA have been living with policies like this for years. No smoking in bars, clubs, or restaurants. Eventually we'll all get used to it.

A bartender woking an 8 hour shift inhales the equivalent of 1/2 pack of cigarette smoke. The same bartender also has a 1.5 to 2 times greater chance of contracting lung cancer than someone working in a non-smoking environment.

[/quote

8 hours and only half a pack... thats nothing. I sit at a bar for 8 hours I throw down at least 2 packs :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

[

8 hours and only half a pack... thats nothing. I sit at a bar for 8 hours I throw down at least 2 packs :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

. . . I know, no shit right? . . . :rolleyes: . . .This is bullshit . . . Bars and Clubs are all about hedonistic VICE . . If I wanted nice and clean, I'd go to a poetry reading at my local library . . .When I'm out I'm out to have fun, and that usually includes drinking, smoking, the occasional bump of White and the ocassional series of pills . . That fucking simple . . .

As a smoker, even I'm all for it!!

I wanna quit.

Tried and failed a few times. Maybe this will make it easier, since the toughest part of quitting is while you're out drinking.

I think it's a disgusting habit that not only harms you, but others around you.

I try and be as respectful as I can, but it is what it is, a nasty smelling habit.

I agree that people who don't smoke shouldn't have to be subjected to the smell and/or side effects just because they'd like to go out and have a drink too.

California has the no smoking rule. It's probably just a matter of time anyway....

When I had stopped for a couple of weeks once, and came home from a bar, I really noticed the smell of smoke on my clothes.

It smelled like a dirty ash tray. Unfortunately, I still went back to it :(

Maybe I'll try to quit again this weekend. I only have 3 left in the pack ;)

My .02

Originally posted by bionic

As a smoker, even I'm all for it!!

I wanna quit.

Tried and failed a few times. Maybe this will make it easier, since the toughest part of quitting is while you're out drinking.

I think it's a disgusting habit that not only harms you, but others around you.

I try and be as respectful as I can, but it is what it is, a nasty smelling habit.

I agree that people who don't smoke shouldn't have to be subjected to the smell and/or side effects just because they'd like to go out and have a drink too.

California has the no smoking rule. It's probably just a matter of time anyway....

When I had stopped for a couple of weeks once, and came home from a bar, I really noticed the smell of smoke on my clothes.

It smelled like a dirty ash tray. Unfortunately, I still went back to it :(

Maybe I'll try to quit again this weekend. I only have 3 left in the pack ;)

My .02

So how about forcing people to bathe, as a firm believer in hygiene I feel that shouldn't be subjected to the absolutely disgusting funk that some New Yorkers have. I don't like the smell, but you know what, no one is going to do anything for me...

. . . I know, no shit right? . . . :rolleyes: . . .This is bullshit . . . Bars and Clubs are all about hedonistic VICE . . If I wanted nice and clean, I'd go to a poetry reading at my local library . . .When I'm out I'm out to have fun, and that usually includes drinking, smoking, the occasional bump of White and the ocassional series of pills . . That fucking simple . . .

Bars and clubs are all about hedonistic vice for YOU. For me, bars are a social spot, and clubs are a place to dance. You have no right to tell me that I should put my health in danger for the sake of your destructive little pleasures.

I see your point Mikey but I think there's a difference between vices and vices that involuntarily involve others. A bump or a pill isn't going to bother the person next to you or jeopardize their health. Smoking may affect people with allergies, asthma, etc.

It's kind of like, all of us here on CP like REALLY loud music (plenty loud enough to damage our hearing), but we can't bring our boomboxes into a bar or restaurant and sit it down next to us and pump it up.

So how about forcing people to bathe, as a firm believer in hygiene I feel that shouldn't be subjected to the absolutely disgusting funk that some New Yorkers have. I don't like the smell, but you know what, no one is going to do anything for me...

While I agree that bathing should be a law, the subway rider's underarm funk isn't going to do me any bodily harm aside from

me maybe having to cover my nose and saying UGH.

I will tell you the real kicker... we worry about people's health because of smokers in the bar. What about the drunk ass people that drive home and kill people. I tell you what, lets just close the bars period. No smoke inhalation for you and no one else gets hurt either... :rolleyes:

I will tell you the real kicker... we worry about people's health because of smokers in the bar. What about the drunk ass people that drive home and kill people. I tell you what, lets just close the bars period. No smoke inhalation for you and no one else gets hurt either... :rolleyes:

I actually do think there are parts of the country where bars should be closed entirely. In the area where I grew up in California, there's no possible way you're getting to and from a bar without driving... kind of makes drinking and driving laws ridiculous, doesn't it?

Here in New York, I don't have that problem, because people always have the option of trains and taxis. It's one reason I chose to live here over any other city -- not having to worry as much about my friends at the end of the night.

But none of this changes my opinions about second-hand smoke.

First of all, there are *laws* prohibiting driving while intoxicated. You can drink all you want, so long as other people aren't harmed as a result of that drinking. So if smoking harms others, why no law?

Secondly, aren't heart disease and cancer like the number one and two causes of death in this country? The numbers of DWI deaths are tiny comparitively.

No need to close the bars...just a need for rational thought.:D

Originally posted by brooklynkid

First of all, there are *laws* prohibiting driving while intoxicated. You can drink all you want, so long as other people aren't harmed as a result of that drinking. So if smoking harms others, why no law?

Secondly, aren't heart disease and cancer like the number one and two causes of death in this country? The numbers of DWI deaths are tiny comparitively.

No need to close the bars...just a need for rational thought.:D

Yeah, and those *laws* really do a lot, and people that are really drunk and go to get into there cars aren't thinking rationally. Also I think heart disease also has a lot to do with the fact that 60% of the people in our country are fat and lazy... not just smoking.

Guest saleen351

California repealed their laws, after a 49% decline in bar patrons.

But i do agree with banning it.

There is no such thing as a free lunch........

Yeah, and those *laws* really do a lot, and people that are really drunk and go to get into there cars aren't thinking rationally. Also I think heart disease also has a lot to do with the fact that 60% of the people in our country are fat and lazy... not just smoking.

I guess you know that smoking kills more people than AIDS, murder, suicide, fires, alcohol, and illegal drugs COMBINED...

But this debate isn't about getting people to quit smoking, as most non-smokers could care less unless it involves a loved one, and it's not about banning alcohol (the Prohibition failed). It's about courtesy and respect for those around you. If I enjoy hitting my thumb with a hammer I'm not going to make you do it too just because you're in the same room as me.