Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bloomberg's anti smoking policy

Originally posted by brooklynkid

But this debate isn't about getting people to quit smoking, as most non-smokers could care less unless it involves a loved one, and it's not about banning alcohol (the Prohibition failed). It's about courtesy and respect for those around you. If I enjoy hitting my thumb with a hammer I'm not going to make you do it too just because you're in the same room as me.

I'd say that sums it up quite nicely.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand why, there can't be seperate sections, seperated by a wall of course... that way I can smoke, you can have your fresh air... (if that exists in this city) and everyone can be happy. Or how about have a seperate smoking room in the bar, that is well ventilated. I mean honestly, just because you don't like smoke doesn't mean that i should have to go outside in the middle of the winter and freeze just to smoke a cigarette.

Originally posted by jimk29

I just don't understand why, there can't be seperate sections, seperated by a wall of course... that way I can smoke, you can have your fresh air... (if that exists in this city) and everyone can be happy. Or how about have a seperate smoking room in the bar, that is well ventilated. I mean honestly, just because you don't like smoke doesn't mean that i should have to go outside in the middle of the winter and freeze just to smoke a cigarette.

. . . See, you're using logic and reason here . . . Non-smokers don't want that . . .

I just don't understand why, there can't be seperate sections, seperated by a wall of course... that way I can smoke, you can have your fresh air... (if that exists in this city) and everyone can be happy. Or how about have a seperate smoking room in the bar, that is well ventilated.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to the idea, but how many bars do you know of that have the space to create such an area?

I mean honestly, just because you don't like smoke doesn't mean that i should have to go outside in the middle of the winter and freeze just to smoke a cigarette.

If no designated smoking area exists, then yes, actually, it does.

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . See, you're using logic and reason here . . . Non-smokers don't want that . . .

No need to reduce yourself to ad hominems, Mike. You're far more intelligent than that.

How many small bars and lounges in this city have the room to do that? I'm fine with the idea, but I just don't see it happening.

This law is more about employees' rights rather than those of bar patrons. But if you think about it, everyone gains from this. And yeah, it kinda does mean you have to go outside in the middle of the winter.

How many small bars and lounges in this city have the room to do that? I'm fine with the idea, but I just don't see it happening.

This law is more about employees' rights rather than those of bar patrons. But if you think about it, everyone gains from this. And yeah, it kinda does mean you have to go outside in the middle of the winter.

Everyone gains from this? What do smokers gain from this?

If this is being done for the bar employees and not the patrons, then they could always get different jobs. That is why it is bullshit.

Honestly, I don't care what Bloomberg's reason is. I personally don't want to inhale second-hand smoke. I think my right to frequent a social spot without damaging my health is far more important than your right to inhale nicotine. You think that's bullshit?

Originally posted by hoke

Honestly, I don't care what Bloomberg's reason is. I personally don't want to inhale second-hand smoke. I think my right to frequent a social spot without damaging my health is far more important than your right to inhale nicotine. You think that's bullshit?

Yes I do, I don't see how your rights are more important than mine.

If this is being done for the bar employees and not the patrons, then they could always get different jobs. That is why it is bullshit.

no THAT'S bullshit...why should have to choose between either staying at a job that is unecessarily harmful to their health and leaving to go work somewhere else? Should they not have banned it on airplanes too? How was that any different from a bar?

And regarding what you have to gain by not smoking in a bar...hmmm...maybe better smelling clothes, a whiter smile, cleaner lungs, and an extra $15 in your pocket? Oh and maybe the piece of mind of not having to have your children watch you die while hooked up to a machine at age 67. Hate having to bring up the obvious. And please don't go on about how it is your choice to light up or not, because you did ask me what was to gain...i'm just givin my $.02 :rolleyes:

Yes I do, I don't see how your rights are more important than mine.

Engaging in a recreational activity that harms the health of people around you should not be a right.

Especially when I am engaging in a legal activity

That's the entire point of this argument -- the legality of public smoking is in question.

That's the entire point of this argument -- the legality of public smoking is in question.

The legality of smoking is not in question, because the government makes an absurd amount on taxing cigarettes so it will never be made illegal. Believe me they don't care as much about your health as they do their money.

no THAT'S bullshit...why should have to choose between either staying at a job that is unecessarily harmful to their health and leaving to go work somewhere else? Should they not have banned it on airplanes too? How was that any different from a bar?

And regarding what you have to gain by not smoking in a bar...hmmm...maybe better smelling clothes, a whiter smile, cleaner lungs, and an extra $15 in your pocket? Oh and maybe the piece of mind of not having to have your children watch you die while hooked up to a machine at age 67. Hate having to bring up the obvious. And please don't go on about how it is your choice to light up or not, because you did ask me what was to gain...i'm just givin my $.02 :rolleyes:

Certain jobs have vertain risks... thats a fact. So should I be able to take a job as a roofer but complain about the heights? I mean come on, I am taking that a little far, but is along the same lines...

I am not going to respond to the other paragraph because I am not trying to needlessly argue, just trying to say that my rights as a smoker are just as important as yours as a non smoker.

The legality of smoking is not in question, because the government makes an absurd amount on taxing cigarettes so it will never be made illegal. Believe me they don't care as much about your health as they do their money.

I said, "the legality of public smoking is in question." Big difference.

I realize that the government is corrupt. This isn't about the government. It's about your insistence that your right to smoke in a bar is more important than my right to either work or drink in a bar without getting lung cancer.

I said, "the legality of public smoking is in question." Big difference.

I realize that the government is corrupt. This isn't about the government. It's about your insistence that your right to smoke in a bar is more important than my right to either work or drink in a bar without getting lung cancer.

I apologize, I thought you said legality of smoking... I didn't notice the puclic smokig part.

and I am through with this, I feel one way, you feel another way and thats how it is. We will just see what happens with the whole thing.