Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NYC scene

I read alot about how the NY scene is done. I think it is kinda true. Well not done but sure on life support, mostly to Guilani.

How does NY get its scene back ???

nothing was like back in the days of limelight and tunnel with the club kids and the whole senario.

does it come back or is this just the way it is now.

Couple of promoters and I were having this conversation the other night. There is no more individuality in the scene. "BEING YOURSELF" is a concept often heard but not applied. There is no more "life" or excitement some might say. No spectacles. No more color and creativeness. I think the next Clubplanet party we do we should encourage costumes and craziness. I miss wearing club costumes like wings and stuff. I miss when Dragqueens looked so perfect you could hardly tell they were guys. Originality that is what is missing. Can't wait till the kids at FIT are back in session they always come up with fierce outfits.

Personally i think its been on "life-support" since sometime around 2000. For one reason thats when E blew up all over on network news and in the papers more than ever. The scene has commercialized so much in recent years, which isnt entirely a bad thing for many reasons (to much to get into). The commercialization though definately has brought down many parties with people who wouldnt normally venture to these places go to get banged up or the "in-place" to be. Promoters are horrible and pretty much clueless. Can it all go back to early-mid 90's of the days of Astro , Richie Rich and all the other club kids of that time, i say never. Its all about $$$ now, cant blame the owners though. Though the real start of the downfall was when all the BS with Gatien at the Tunnel and Limelight vs NYC. Either deal with it or its time to move on, ive pretty much moved on than goin to the places accept occasionally heading out. Thats just a small part of many problems in the NYC scene.

how would i get the scene back.

step 1

junior out at exit Danny T in. Never been to arc but hear the crowd is great. good infusion in a bigger space.

limelight will be open again in sept good , make it something like limelight of old.

someone please give me 750 k so i can buy the tunnel

twilo is suppose to be the crowbar soon. hope it happens and the twilo heads return.

well to bring back exit i think they have to

a) do somethng off the wall. lots of theme parties.

B) maybe some free admission or 10 dollar admission before 1 am or something

just my opinion

Couple of facts for ya:

TWILO is not reopening as CROBAR. The space for CROBAR is one block North on 28th street couple doors down from THE EAGLE. It will be a while before they open. Est at least 10 months. Sorry guys politics.

Richie Rich and the family are stll out and about PICK UP PAPER MAGAZINE this month. RICHIE RICH, SUZANNE BARTSCH and a few other are featured in the fashion pages. And check out some of the MTV Award ads Richie and Amanda Lepore along with the Pat Fields crew still looking dynamic are in them.

Kenny Kenny still does door just not like the old days in the costumes and pissy attitude of old.

Theme parties are one thing but it still comes down to the people that attend them and their involvement in that theme. (aka underwear party ewwww) BOO 7 is gonna be fun I think people are really gonna go all out with dressing up in costumes this year.

Originally posted by doubleplay1970

how would i get the scene back.

step 1

junior out at exit Danny T in. Never been to arc but hear the crowd is great. good infusion in a bigger space.

limelight will be open again in sept good , make it something like limelight of old.

someone please give me 750 k so i can buy the tunnel

twilo is suppose to be the crowbar soon. hope it happens and the twilo heads return.

just my opinion

limelight is gonna be more of a lounge from what i was told.

crobar is across the st. from twilo on 27st. , i was told last week they were denied a liquor liscense (dont know if its true though). also they dont want afterhours, to close at 6am. no liquor and closing that early will be tough. i know vinyl does it but its a small venue, think of all the costs crobar has to recoupe.

as for exit 1st they need a change in ownership/management. way to many horror stories and they seem not to give a shit about any patron. stick to some quality promoters and djs. maybe exit wouldnt be laughed upon and be the force everyone thought it would be when it opened in 99'

Just check out some of the smaller parties like ours.

Individuality? We get all kinds of people at our party ranging from ghetto-vampires to gravers to cyber-goths, and drag queens and dominatrixes always get in for free. And we also have performers once in a while like last Friday when we had a group of fire eaters doing their thing.

More techno? Every Friday I'm mixing between techno, schranz, hard nrg, industrial and gabber/hardcore.

Lower admission? Our party is only $10, or if you mention that you're there to hear me (Dräcos) spin, they'll only charge you $5. Or if you're a drag queen or dom it's free, and it's free for ladies before 11pm. Drinks are cheap, and free shots til the bottle's empty (which is usually by midnight now).

So anyway, if you're ever looking for something different to do on a Friday nite, check out Fun House at Flamingo East (219 2nd Ave btwn 13th & 14th) www.funhouseparty.com

Some people think that it's just a goth party, but I assure you that from midnite til close, Rexx Arkana and myself are mixing between trance, techno, industrial and a lil' gabba at the end of the nite. Personally, I detest gothic music and am more of a fan of dark, hard techno, so come check it out sometime and drop my name at the door for an admission of only $5. ;)

-Dräcos

www.SubsurfaceProductions.com

the NYC scene just needs a fresh start. It needs big new venues, it needs a change of pace for the DJ's coming through, it needs new sounds, new crowds, a better vibe and it needs to put out more cutting edge tracks that contribute to the scene all over the world. People have got to WANT to come to NYC to party. As of now, partying in NYC just feels dull and grey. You can still find your hot-spots, but that's entirely different than the whole town brimming with energy.

I'd like to see what happens when Crobar opens up. I hope more places spring up as well. The scene needs a fresh start.

Originally posted by doubleplay1970

1. IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO EXIT....AS LONG AS MARVISI RETAINS HIS OWNERSHIP IT WILL BE SHITTY.

2. The new Limelight is partially owned by Marvisi....so dont expect much from it.

3. Lunaterium holds many "off the wall" parties with low admission prices. It really could benefit from adding some fans tho

Yeah, I definitely don't think JV at Exit is the problem. I like what he spins a lot better than the Friday night crap.

I think Crobar could be a good addition to the night life in NYC. Back when NYC was bangin, there was COMPETITION between the clubs for clientelle. It didn't matter where you went, cause you knew you were in for a long fun night regardless. Now when I go out it's like "saturday night is OK here, but friday night really sucks, and supposedly this is the place to be tonight but last week it blew, etc.etc..." Back in the day, it was all good. Promoters were out there trying to get customers, new talent frequented behind the turntables, and owners cared... If Crobar is a success, hopefully owners of the other dying clubs will realize what they're missing and take some action. The tough thing is it has to happen with all of the clubs around the same time for the competition to get back to what it was. It simply comes down to owners/managers taking action. Invest in getting kick-ass DJs week after week for a while is a good place to start. EVERYONE needs to lower their arrogance, too. Bouncers, bartenders, and even clientelle. Back when it was great, EVERYONE mingled. Now it's more segregated and people have stopped being so friendly - Years ago I could be in a conversation with Guido, candy-raver, and Mr. drag queen and that was perfectly normal and common, as it should be. Now, many folks have gone back to the cliques they associate with, so meeting new and interesting people who are all there for a common reason doesn't happen as much. I don't know...I could go on forever, but I'm starting to confuse myself and bore you, so I'll stop biatching

Originally posted by gino938

It simply comes down to owners/managers taking action. Invest in getting kick-ass DJs week after week for a while is a good place to start. EVERYONE needs to lower their arrogance, too. Bouncers, bartenders, and even clientelle. Back when it was great, EVERYONE mingled. Now it's more segregated and people have stopped being so friendly - Years ago I could be in a conversation with Guido, candy-raver, and Mr. drag queen and that was perfectly normal and common, as it should be. Now, many folks have gone back to the cliques they associate with, so meeting new and interesting people who are all there for a common reason doesn't happen as much. I don't know...I could go on forever, but I'm starting to confuse myself and bore you, so I'll stop biatching

TRUE

so true