Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Platinum Question?

You have a decent-sized market that is currently untapped (well, it has become that way recently). Philadelphia right now is severely lacking in the club scene. Hip-hop is what is being served up, so many of the usual clubgoers are forced to go to lounges or elsewhere (we would rather drive to NYC or NJ). We have been going to Surf for 2 years now and Temps for 3, and suddenly there are 20-50 more people each week taking the trip from PA.

I would definitely try to promote heavily around the city, especially around the colleges and what is referred to as "Olde City" (where the majority of the lounges are located). One thing to remember is there are 2 typr of Philly clubbers: one knows the DJ's and want to hear someone good, and another thinks a DJ is someone who you rent for a wedding, bar mitzvah, etc; they just want to go somewhere that plays dance ("techno") music. You have to successfully market to both groups, as neither dominates the patronage.

One other piece of advice: as much as you need to regulate the "darker" side of clublife, make dure you do not alienate customers by effectively "strip-searching" them at the doors. Those of us who are doing nothing wrong NEVER enjoy being molested upon entering the club, and it actually makes us question what we are even doing there in the first place. :rolleyes:

We will definitely try and check you out this fall/winter!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 to party is pretty much a NO GO...the town will not permit it...It will have to be 21+ for all....there is plenty of 21+ college students out there and there is plenty of people in NEW BRUNSWICK, that have never even Heard of Platinum....

its allot of work, but it will be worth it...

Originally posted by djprime

just curious on why u think that?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM lemme see. Davis G or Mark Amatucci??? I think that is a no brainer. It's good to see that the big dawgs like Abyss knew what was up and didn't pass up on talent when it was staring them right in the face. But this is just my opinion. I hope every club does well and suceeds so there is plenty of places to go. But I know where I will be once the fall/winter comes by.

Originally posted by whatevaman

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM lemme see. Davis G or Mark Amatucci??? I think that is a no brainer. It's good to see that the big dawgs like Abyss knew what was up and didn't pass up on talent when it was staring them right in the face. But this is just my opinion. I hope every club does well and suceeds so there is plenty of places to go. But I know where I will be once the fall/winter comes by.

well i never heard Davis G and i have heard Mark...I am friends with Mark and we actually discussed the whole Friday thing the other night...Davis G will not be the only Dj there... I personally will be there and also will alot of other dj's...I have allot of Dj's In mind....

Who would all of you like to see DJ there....

This Question will obviosly have to name DJ's that are not residents at other CLubs...U tell me who u would like to Hear there....???

I have ideas but i wanna hear who u wanna have there....

Davis g is a great dj and he mixes it up well i think his friday nights will be great he runs through everything his mixes are good and his track selections are on point (don't sleep on this kid) i'll bet the farm he blows shit up there this fall.:dj:

I've read a thousand threads on this board about Platinum since they've opened and I'll say this; don't be swayed by other people’s opinions. Make a decision about Platinum for yourself. If you were like me, you had hesitations about Platinum last year because it sounded like the same party everyone else was doing. As cool as it is to hear the newest music first, 90% of the people that go out just want to party. Mark is a great DJ who I personally enjoy listening to and his style is the cutting edge of the music scene. But New Brunswick is a college party town and the music must reflect the crowd. Marks music will definitely reflect the Abyss crowd and I wish him well. If your looking for someone who has flawless mixes and is the next coming of Denny Tsettos, I'm not it. My style is similar to DJ RIZ, Unique and DJ Mike White. I play a solid mix of everything. I break the norm of big room DJ's and take tons of requests. My crowd is Young/Old/Black/White/Girls/Guys and I cater to the ladies. Too many times the DJ tries to take center stage and gets in the way of the true reason a club is built; for the people. That's not me. I will be the parsley on the plate. The meat and potatoes will be the club, MC ShowBoat and YOU! My music will be the back round to the fun, but don't get me wrong, I'll be right in the middle of the party stirring it up. What I've done in the past and what I will promise you now is that Platinum Friday nights will be the biggest, craziest, wildest college party ever; nothing like you've seen or heard anywhere in NJ. There will be guest DJ's once a month, but MC Showboat and I are the residents. I encourage everyone who wanted to check out Platinum but were turned off by all the bullshit they've seen or heard about it to come out for the opening party on September 13th. Casual but neat attire, $1 bud and Bud Lights, $1 shot specials and $3 mixed drinks till 11pm, X-Box give-away, MC Showboat and The bud Girls.

thanks for reading, see you at the club,

G

I can not wait to see what this Friday night party will be like. I will definately check it out. Prime you may have to take this into your own hands. You know who I want to see DJ, and any one who's style is something like DT, Vic Calderone, Lawler, and many more. Not a clone of every thing I hear in NJ. Seems NJ is the home of its own dance music. I am always baffled by the fact that the DJ's who NJ runs to see, are not what the rest of the world is into. It all works for me, I just go for the good time. See ya soon,:D

Originally posted by davisg

I've read a thousand threads on this board about Platinum since they've opened and I'll say this; don't be swayed by other people’s opinions. Make a decision about Platinum for yourself. If you were like me, you had hesitations about Platinum last year because it sounded like the same party everyone else was doing. As cool as it is to hear the newest music first, 90% of the people that go out just want to party. Mark is a great DJ who I personally enjoy listening to and his style is the cutting edge of the music scene. But New Brunswick is a college party town and the music must reflect the crowd. Marks music will definitely reflect the Abyss crowd and I wish him well. If your looking for someone who has flawless mixes and is the next coming of Denny Tsettos, I'm not it. My style is similar to DJ RIZ, Unique and DJ Mike White. I play a solid mix of everything. I break the norm of big room DJ's and take tons of requests. My crowd is Young/Old/Black/White/Girls/Guys and I cater to the ladies. Too many times the DJ tries to take center stage and gets in the way of the true reason a club is built; for the people. That's not me. I will be the parsley on the plate. The meat and potatoes will be the club, MC ShowBoat and YOU! My music will be the back round to the fun, but don't get me wrong, I'll be right in the middle of the party stirring it up. What I've done in the past and what I will promise you now is that Platinum Friday nights will be the biggest, craziest, wildest college party ever; nothing like you've seen or heard anywhere in NJ. There will be guest DJ's once a month, but MC Showboat and I are the residents. I encourage everyone who wanted to check out Platinum but were turned off by all the bullshit they've seen or heard about it to come out for the opening party on September 13th. Casual but neat attire, $1 bud and Bud Lights, $1 shot specials and $3 mixed drinks till 11pm, X-Box give-away, MC Showboat and The bud Girls.

thanks for reading, see you at the club,

G

DAvis G is 100% correct....its a College night and its a party crowd...Athony Acid will be there on Saturdays for the cutting edge music...this has been established...

PS. Davis get my number from Billy R. I need to speak to u..Prime

the house dj in the first room has to be good, Like DEAN MASI, every other time i was there and dean mwasnt mixing, i thought i was listening to ktu. thats not house music. and they need a better system for the house djs. those shit jbls they are using are horrible, there like the tr series.

not trying to be a dick just trying to help out

:D :D

prime, i want talking bout you as the other dj spinning that didnt play good house music. i was there when some kids were doing it and they were horrible i wanted to shoot myself:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

by the way if you need a dj to spin some house music any night give me a holla.

i met you there before when i was there with masi & mello

yo not for nothing & with all do respect to platinum, why are you/they trying to be something that's already caught on 3 yrs ago? I mean how many clubs witht he same exact local guido lineups are we gonna see? where's the individuality?? isn't this the same thing abyss & bunka have been doing for years?? if everyone is into this "tenaglia sound" why dont you stop jocking these local yokals who jock tenaglia even harder?? there's a HUGE amount of producers/dj's in the tri state area that blow these guys away!!!!!!!!!!! This party will just be another pen for the sheep.

That's why they brought in davis g as there resident dj there on friday nights to get away from the same old tired ass sets these wanna be big time dj's are playing week after week.. dont get me wrong i like to go out and here hot new shit sometimes but i need a break from the norm.... sometimes i wanna go out and hear some shit i haven't heard in a while mixed in with some new stuff....... i like a dj that's not afraid to drop some crazy ass shit and put himself out there it's easy to check the charts and play what everyone else is playing try diggin in the music and coming up with some new original sets... all i can say is check it out and see for yourselves....... if it's not your cup of tea then try someplace else................

Originally posted by djmattreid

prime, i want talking bout you as the other dj spinning that didnt play good house music. i was there when some kids were doing it and they were horrible i wanted to shoot myself:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

by the way if you need a dj to spin some house music any night give me a holla.

i met you there before when i was there with masi & mello

yea matt i knew u werent referring to me...as u know when dean and i were for there on teh grand opening of thursdays the first two weeks you knew that we were not happy with the conditions of the sound system nor the hip hop in one room and playing house-tribal in the other room....THe music wasnt the problem it was that the crowd that was there would never appreciate that type of music we were playing.....thats why we removed our selves from the night...Those that know how i play will know that i will conform to the crowd.....im not out to for that small percentage of people to like me....i want everyone to have a good time....regardless of music style....

obscurum

you are 100% correct i hate the routine its so played out....im no Denny or Richie Rydel I have respect allot of respect for them but i play to make people happy....No one will jump on my back for making people smile and have a good time...

Nothings better then having a whole shit load of drunk people going HOLY shit i havnt heard that song since 8th grade.....LOL

Originally posted by reelsmug

That's why they brought in davis g as there resident dj there on friday nights to get away from the same old tired ass sets these wanna be big time dj's are playing week after week.. dont get me wrong i like to go out and here hot new shit sometimes but i need a break from the norm.... sometimes i wanna go out and hear some shit i haven't heard in a while mixed in with some new stuff....... i like a dj that's not afraid to drop some crazy ass shit and put himself out there it's easy to check the charts and play what everyone else is playing try diggin in the music and coming up with some new original sets... all i can say is check it out and see for yourselves....... if it's not your cup of tea then try someplace else................

Its good to add FLAVOR.....VANILLA is good but CHUNKY MUNKY IS SLAMMIN.......

Originally posted by obscurum

yo not for nothing & with all do respect to platinum, why are you/they trying to be something that's already caught on 3 yrs ago? I mean how many clubs witht he same exact local guido lineups are we gonna see? where's the individuality?? isn't this the same thing abyss & bunka have been doing for years?? if everyone is into this "tenaglia sound" why dont you stop jocking these local yokals who jock tenaglia even harder?? there's a HUGE amount of producers/dj's in the tri state area that blow these guys away!!!!!!!!!!! This party will just be another pen for the sheep.

there will not be the same old shit there on Fridays i can assure you that obscurum......

any other suggestions..????

News flash just in... . ... .. ...... . .. .

"J.P. to spin hip hop in the wave lounge on fridays"

this is from a very reliable source i swear my sisters baby's daddy's cousin is frien

ds with this kid who used to go to school with some girl that hooked up with jp when he was in high school:laugh:

no he's not:argue2: yes he is