Clubplanet Nightlife Community

friendship: what does it take?...

what does it take for you to maintain a 'working' friendship with someone else?

...is it easy for you to make friends and stay close with them? are you the sort of person that stays close with someone even if you don't see him or her all the time? (as in, once friends always friends)

or

...do your friendships take a lot of effort/time spent together with your friend to be worth your while? does it take work to maintain even a once-close relationship and does it fade away without the effort?

or

... does this all vary according to how long you've known someone?

i can form very intense friendships very quickly, and even with some time away with my friends i can feel very close to them. the thing is that some of these people don't operate the same way i do, and it's confusing sometimes... i can feel as close as EVER with someone at the same time that s/he feels utterly disconnected from me.

well, i think that a fun aquaintenceship is what most people have where you chill and have a great time, maybe even find out and listen to their issues and stuff.

but friendship is very simple - its basically putting the needs of someone else in front of your own interests without asking for anything in return. if your interaction with someone is like this and they do the same for you it doesn't matter if you see them once a year or every day of the week.

i'm not talking about laying down and doing shit for someone and stuff...quite the opposite - i'm talking about never using someone at all.

THREE OF EM.

YOU GOTTA MAKE EVERYBODY YOUR FRIENDS

THAN YOU CAN SELECT WHICH IS YOUR INFO GUY AND WHICH GUY YOU TALK TO 24/7 AND WHICH IS SNITCH AND WHICH KNOWS ALL THE PARTIES AND WHICH KNOWS ALL THE GIRLS AND WHICH GOT MONEY.I WAS LIKE THAT AND I STILL AM AND DONT TAKE THE LONG WAY I SAID THAT BECAUSE IF YOU DO IT LIKE ITS PERFECT AND ITS PRETTY WRONG CUZ ITS LIKE USIN PPL BUT I SAID THAT IF YOU WANT TO HAVE FUN AND HAVE LIKE FAST LIFE LIKE CELEBS DO ,THATS WHAT YOU GOTTA DO.IN THE END ITS ALL WORTH IT

IF YOU GO TO SCHOOL OR WORK ,KEEP YOUR TEACHERS AND BOSSESE CLOSER THAN YOUR FRIENDS .

SOME OF YOU MAY THINK THAT THATS NOT GOOD BUT IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A PROMOTION OR YOU MAY NEED THEM TO DO YOU FAVOR OR YOU WANNA BE BIG IN THE SOCIETY ,THE SHIT I SAID MIGHT DO YOU SOME GOOD.IN FRONT OF BOSS OR TEACHERS ,DONT TALK TOO MUCH SHIT ABOUT YOUR WORK PLACE FRIENDS OR CLASSMATES.THATS IT

IF YOU DO THAT THAN YOU WILL HAVE PRETTY DECENT LIFE

friendships are different with every 2 peoplel... the best thing to do is work with one another and be honest to get everything out in the open... it helps each person better understand how the other feels about seeing or not seeing one another frequently...

the key to any relationship is good communication between both parties...

It's enough that I know that if I need something that person would be there for me or if that person needs anything I'd be their for them, too. The fact that we don't see or talk to each other all the time wouldn't make me feel less close to someone I'm especially close to, it would just make me miss them a lot.

Originally posted by barvybe

well, i think that a fun aquaintenceship is what most people have where you chill and have a great time, maybe even find out and listen to their issues and stuff.

but friendship is very simple - its basically putting the needs of someone else in front of your own interests without asking for anything in return. if your interaction with someone is like this and they do the same for you it doesn't matter if you see them once a year or every day of the week.

i'm not talking about laying down and doing shit for someone and stuff...quite the opposite - i'm talking about never using someone at all.

and THAT ladies and gentlemen is MY BEST FRIEND!

(damn I'm so fucking lucky)

:D

and to answer the question.... aquaintances are often mistaken for friends because you might see them a lot of talk to them often. But a real true friend... they are rare. And when you find one you know, because you can be away from them for an inordinate amount of time, and when you come back they are still there, and you still have that zen going on.

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

choice 3

Ditto. I rarely chill with my best friend anymore but we're still best friends. However, there are friends that I was really close with when we lived together, and now that we don't see each other anymore, we're not really friends. We're definitely still friendly and if we see each other everything is great, but we just don't chill really unless we happen to be in the same place at the same time.

Originally posted by codica3

Ditto. I rarely chill with my best friend anymore but we're still best friends. However, there are friends that I was really close with when we lived together, and now that we don't see each other anymore, we're not really friends. We're definitely still friendly and if we see each other everything is great, but we just don't chill really unless we happen to be in the same place at the same time.

yeah but i'll bet that if one of those old friends called you up cause they needed your help you'd be there to give it.

joeg - i agree that truthful communication is a key to relationships, but it isn't enough for friendships. there's more to it than that.

lav - u trying to sweet talk me again?

Guest tilly
Originally posted by LavenderMenace

you still have that zen going on.

tru dat..some of my closest friends that i've taken with me throughout life and i have that zen ..we dont have to talk every week/month/year but as soon as we do it goes straight back to as if no time had lapsed!

True friendship should be unconditional. Like true romance. I have friends that I see all the time and those that I may only see a few times a year. Some of them I've known for years and years and there are a couple that are relatively new buddies. I've been blessed with the friends that I've made over the years. True friends are like diamonds- precious, but rare. Acquaintances are like autumn leaves- scattered everywhere.

I think the word "friend" in NY

varies from person to person..

While I find that friendships of my past

living in Texas, Mexico, Italy,

South Carolina, Minnesota and Colorado

have always been strong bonds between

people that really care about you...

I find that NY's relationships are muddled,

confusing, often phoney.

Some people that I once heald very high in my

heart and mind and though of as

"friends" turned out to be nothing but

vultures waiting to get something from my life..

Gossipy..

Evil.....

Judgemental....

Self Absorbed....

I can honsetly say that living in this city has

made me less trustworthy..

and sadly disenchanted with the concept

of human friendships.

(I think I prefer dogs and robots

as companions in the end)

:(

Originally posted by mugwump

I can honsetly say that living in this city has

made me less trustworthy..

and sadly disenchanted with the concept

of human friendships.

(I think I prefer dogs and robots

as companions in the end)

:(

Wow, that's sad (though I understand prefering dogs and robots to people because I hate people in general).

I make some friends with people quickly and others slowly.

It all depends on how our personalities mesh, and how comfortable we are with unlocking ourselves to each other.

I can drift away and vanish easily... but i always manage to maintain that same level of closeness with them.

Some things just never fade, no matter how much time tries to make them do so.

Originally posted by wideskies

what does it take for you to maintain a 'working' friendship with someone else?

...is it easy for you to make friends and stay close with them? are you the sort of person that stays close with someone even if you don't see him or her all the time? (as in, once friends always friends)

or

...do your friendships take a lot of effort/time spent together with your friend to be worth your while? does it take work to maintain even a once-close relationship and does it fade away without the effort?

or

... does this all vary according to how long you've known someone?

i can form very intense friendships very quickly, and even with some time away with my friends i can feel very close to them. the thing is that some of these people don't operate the same way i do, and it's confusing sometimes... i can feel as close as EVER with someone at the same time that s/he feels utterly disconnected from me.

I have 2 friends and I'm happy with them everyone else is an acquaintance. One of my friends I haven't seen in atleast a year, but we email often. We actually met at LL a lil' over a yr. ago, we were both :roll: and we just hit it off. I'm a lil' surprised we've remained in contact for so long. We just seem to have much in common and I love the girl! My other girlfriend is a crackhead- she never calls, she's senile and I want to beat her up, but I love her! We've know one another since Girl Scouts and we have this connection. She's different, plus I never get upset when she doesn't call me cuz I know how she is. :love:

P.S. Remember your friends from h.s. and how after you all graduated you'd keep in touch... lol ... :laugh:

Originally posted by LavenderMenace

and to answer the question.... aquaintances are often mistaken for friends because you might see them a lot of talk to them often. But a real true friend... they are rare. And when you find one you know, because you can be away from them for an inordinate amount of time, and when you come back they are still there, and you still have that zen going on.

exactly....true friends can be apart for however long,,, and when they do get together, it's as if nothing has changed...you just missed them,,, and you know no matter where you are you can count on that person...if there is a true bond of REAL friendship,,, it will always be there between you...and if for some reason it has faded a bit,, you can hopefully look back and smile at what it was.:heart: