Clubplanet Nightlife Community

stereotypes i don't understand (cops and donuts...?)

weyes

well, there are a lot of generalizations out there that are silly and untrue, although it's also true that some must've come from somewhere.

ok, white people can dance - that is, some of us :tongue: . a lot of pinkish cpers have been known to cut a rug very nicely :) .

and blondes don't all have more fun - i've known a few to be rather sad :laugh: .

anyway, i kid.

but here's one i never got: what's up with cops liking donuts? i don't know if i've ever seen a cop eating a donut. while it's true that i don't exactly frequent donut shops, i don't see them eating them in their cars or while walking around or anything... can anyone answer me on that one? and does anyone else have some other stereotypes that don't make any sense?

This stereotype comes from the fact that police officers work odd hours when most restaurants and stores are closed. Years ago, the donut shops were all that were open at night. When break time came, these shops were convenient. Consider that donuts are relatively inexpensive, so they can be discarded with little guilt, in case of a hot call in the middle of a snack break. Donuts have sugar and carbohydrates, which allow for quick energy. Donuts, coupled with the ever present cup of coffee, help keep the officers awake and alert. Donut shops are usually located in centralized areas, which can be used as a meeting place for briefings between officers of different agencies or shifts.

Originally posted by sugar_n_spice

This stereotype comes from the fact that police officers work odd hours when most restaurants and stores are closed. Years ago, the donut shops were all that were open at night. When break time came, these shops were convenient. Consider that donuts are relatively inexpensive, so they can be discarded with little guilt, in case of a hot call in the middle of a snack break. Donuts have sugar and carbohydrates, which allow for quick energy. Donuts, coupled with the ever present cup of coffee, help keep the officers awake and alert. Donut shops are usually located in centralized areas, which can be used as a meeting place for briefings between officers of different agencies or shifts.

:shaky: you sound like you've been there and done that....

Originally posted by weyes

but here's one i never got: what's up with cops liking donuts? i don't know if i've ever seen a cop eating a donut. while it's true that i don't exactly frequent donut shops, i don't see them eating them in their cars or while walking around or anything... can anyone answer me on that one? and does anyone else have some other stereotypes that don't make any sense?

I work right across the street from a Dunkin Donuts....and I kid you not, there is ALWAYS a Cop Car double parked in front of that place....

Originally posted by glowgrlnyc

I work right across the street from a Dunkin Donuts....and I kid you not, there is ALWAYS a Cop Car double parked in front of that place....

o, and isn't it just precious: the way cops always feel free to break traffic laws? gotta get those donuts, so blocking traffic and parking someone in really don't matter :no: .

Originally posted by weyes

o, and isn't it just precious: the way cops always feel free to break traffic laws? gotta get those donuts, so blocking traffic and parking someone in really don't matter :no: .

Yeah, i feel exactly the way you do, weyes.

I actually had an idea that we could somehow create an independent agency that could ticket and give summons' to cops. WHen they go through a red light, double park, etc. This independent agency could ticket the cops, and the fine would be deducted from their annual salary.

And it shouldn't affect the payroll of someone making upwards of $50-100,000.

i used to walk to school near a precinct in tribeca. i saw cop cars almost on a daily basis go the wrong way on a one-way street to get to the station, just because it was a shortcut, and i'm not talking with the siren on :mad::no: . besides that being lazy and obnoxious, it's dangerous.