Clubplanet Nightlife Community

IBM hard drives

Where my fellow computer geeks at??

I rebooted last night and didn't notice it till this morning. My secondary IBM Deskstar 75GXP 45gb drive is dead. Upon restarting it makes an odd quiet access sound. That is all. My fuckin drive crashed. I know the entire line is shit and they discontinued them. Does anyone know if I can get it replaced under warranty? I bought it OEM.

I hope my 75gb deskstar doesn't crash on me. :(

Originally posted by teklord310

I hope my 75gb deskstar doesn't crash on me. :(

oh but it will.

http://news.com.com/2110-1040-274914.html

"Hard-drive suit targets IBM

By Michael Kanellos

Staff Writer, CNET News.com

October 24, 2001, 3:10 PM PT

IBM has been hit with a class-action lawsuit that alleges the company's 75GXP Deskstar hard drive is defective. The 75GB capacity, the lawsuit alleges, is defective because it crashes without notice. The suit, filed in Alameda County Superior Court in California, seeks unspecified damages. IBM could not immediately be reached for comment. "

http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic.php?t=1923&highlight=75gxp

my advice to you. buy a new one same capacity, online (NOT from ebay). then sell the one that still works on ebay.

rma the dead one to ibm and when you get it back....sell that one also and buy another drive.

Originally posted by dr0ne

my advice to you. buy a new one same capacity, online (NOT from ebay). then sell the one that still works on ebay.

rma the dead one to ibm and when you get it back....sell that one also and buy another drive.

So basically i'm phucked. Who would pay money for a used IBM piece of shit? Well I did, but that was 2 years ago when they were highly rated and everyone used their drives. From what Iheard IBM sold that line to someone else. I know their SCSI drives have a 5 year warranty.

OEM means no box, just standalone drive from a reseller.

Originally posted by teklord310

So basically i'm phucked. Who would pay money for a used IBM piece of shit? Well I did, but that was 2 years ago when they were highly rated and everyone used their drives. From what Iheard IBM sold that line to someone else. I know their SCSI drives have a 5 year warranty.

OEM means no box, just standalone drive from a reseller.

hitachi is supposed to be the new owner.

sell it on ebay like i said, there's plenty of tools out there who don't know what's up and you'll get a good price for it. don't forget to mention its under warranty (they have a 3 yr warranty from ibm even if OEM)

Originally posted by doubtness

Time to go get yourself a Maxtor or WD HD.....

WD 120GB 8mb Special "drool" Edition

Parts are getting so cheap these days. Mail in rebates that cut prices in half.

check out forums.anandtech.com the "Hot Deals" forum. Crazy stuff. I used to read slick deals all the time, but they have nothing in comparison.

well not all ibm's are bad from what i hear, just the 75gxp.

personally i've had problems with maxtor, ibm, quantum and wd. the maxtor died within a month. the ibm came doa. the quantum died sort of after a year but it's been working to this day now just with like 500megs of bad sectors. the wd died within 2 years of use. all of these were ide besides the wd which was scsi, and it was known to be a shitty scsi drive.

other than that i have drives by ibm, wd, seagate which have never given me trouble for years. they are all scsi though.....if you want reliability and have the money, go for scsi no doubt. they're not too much faster like people say, but they're better built.

this shit can get very complicated but the bottom line is.....have backups of everything. today it's too expensive to buy a tape backup, so the cheapest way is two of each drive in a raid 1 setup. although raid 1 is slow, what i do is have two drives, then every night auto backup the difference from one to the other....faster that way, worst case you lose today's shit, which isn't usually a big deal for me.

This is semi-unrelated but I had a ibm drive in my laptop that totally flaked out. It started making goofy noises and "stalling." I replaced it with a Toshiba and it's been fine so far.

Not too long ago I was looking for at IBM's deskstars in hopes of expanding space for DV, encasing my old drive into a hardwire enclosure, but read too many articles about IBM being unreliable, defective even.

Why do so many of you have so much disk space? I'm just curious. Pro Tools?