Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Two Bombs Kill 54 People in Bali

sassa

Two bombs kill 54 people in Bali

NBC, MSNBC AND NEWS SERVICES

JAKARTA, Indonesia, Oct. 13 — At least 54 people, including 15 or more foreigners, were killed Saturday and 120 others were injured in two explosions on Indonesia’s resort island of Bali, police and hospital officials said Sunday. Authorities said they expected the death toll to rise even further as victims were pulled from the rubble after the blasts, one of which occurred about 100 yards from a U.S. consular office.

POLICE SAID they knew of no claim of responsibility for the blasts, which occurred nearly simultaneously.

All of the known casualties resulted from the second of the two blasts, which destroyed Sari, a nightclub frequented by foreigners in the resort of Kuta Beach. The explosion caused a large fire that engulfed another nearby nightclub, witnesses said.

The Jakarta Post reported on its Web site that 60 people had been confirmed dead by early Sunday morning. The report could not be independently verified, and hospital officials put the number at 54 late in the day.

“This action has the fingerprint of a terrorist operation,” terrorism expert Walid Phares said on MSNBC TV. “Although Bali is a tourist destination, it is not far from a vast area of jihad activities in the Moluccas Islands and in Poso.

“At the same time, we have monitored over the past few months and weeks releases by al-Qaida sympathizers in the region saying that they would strike against both secular objectives and American interests,” said Phares, an associate professor of political science at Florida Atlantic University.

Indonesia has the world’s largest Muslim population.

Eyewitnesses spoke of chaos near the Kuta Beach blast, at the Sari nightclub, as foreign tourists were reveling on a typical Saturday night. The southern Indonesian island is a particularly popular holiday destination for Australians.

“I saw one man, who looked Indonesian, whose head had been blown off,” a local photographer, Murdani Usman, said at the scene near a nightclub.

Another witness said windows on shops had been blown out up to 500 meters away.

BLAST NEAR U.S. OFFICE

The deadly blast came only moments after another explosion about 100 yards from a U.S. consular office in the nearby city of Denpasar, Bali’s capital, which is 600 miles east of Jakarta. The State Department said no consular office personnel were injured.

“We don’t know if these blasts are connected,” said a U.S. Embassy spokeswoman in Jakarta who asked not to be identified.

A third explosion earlier Saturday on Indonesia’s Sulawesi island broke three windows of the Philippine consulate in the city of Manado, said Suleman Munde, a security guard at the building, which was closed.

Police Lt. Col. Henjke Kuwara said the small explosive device had been planted at the building’s fence. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

VIOLENCE RARE IN BALI

NBC News’ Ned Colt reported from Hong Kong that while there has been political violence in the Jakarta, Sulawesi and other cities in recent months, Bali had been relatively unaffected. The explosions were the first serious violence to hit Bali since 1998.

Although elements of Osama bin Laden’s al-Qaida terrorist organization are known to operate in Indonesia, President Megawati Sukarnoputri has found it difficult to crack down on fundamentalist groups because of resistance from the nation’s large Muslim population.

“She’s got a fairly tenuous support situation, and she’s got to tread lightly,” Colt said.

NBC’s Ned Colt, The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

Originally posted by t0nythelover

it was probably done by the u.s.a. on the low to provoke muslim-u.s. tensions. i doubt muslims would bomb their own land for no reason.

Tony,

We have had good arguments but that was a stupid thing to say.

Indonesia has the largest muslim population in the world, stop watching conspiracy movies kidd it's rotting your brain....

it was probably done by the u.s.a. on the low to provoke muslim-u.s. tensions. i doubt muslims would bomb their own land for no reason.

fucking moron. that has to be the most idiotic comment you've ever made on here. let me guess, we also bombed the french oil tanker too? :blown:

have u heard of saudi arabia? yeah, it's a place where muslims commit terrorist acts on their own land.

That has to be by far the craziest moronic thing I've even seen posted. You got some pair of balls to bash U.S.A. like that. Haven't you been keeping up with current events? Indonesia has been suffering through a lot of terrorism lately. Just look at what happened to East Timor and all the Christian churches that have been bombed there in the Spice Islands. Check out this website.

http://www.alleanzacattolica.org/acs/acs_english/acs_index.htm

That's ridiculous. Terrorist groups in Bali dislike the presence of foreigners because they hate the capitalist lifestyle they bring to the country. Most of the people that died were tourists. These are fanatics dude. Suggesting the U.S. was involved? C'mon now, I'm embarassed for you that you would make such a ridiculous statement.

Originally posted by Drunk

That's ridiculous. Terrorist groups in Bali dislike the presence of foreigners because they hate the capitalist lifestyle they bring to the country. Most of the people that died were tourists. These are fanatics dude. Suggesting the U.S. was involved? C'mon now, I'm embarassed for you that you would make such a ridiculous statement.

Tony - though I agree with most of your views...I gotta agree...that was a stupid comment.

Drunk, your comments are second in stupidity only to Tony's above comment. Terrorists hate foreigners because they hate the free capitalistic lifestyle they bring??? You've been brainwashed by Dubya too much!

Originally posted by raver_mania

Tony - though I agree with most of your views...I gotta agree...that was a stupid comment.

Drunk, your comments are second in stupidity only to Tony's above comment. Terrorists hate foreigners because they hate the free capitalistic lifestyle they bring??? You've been brainwashed by Dubya too much!

No it's a fact. I did my master's thesis on this issue. From my talks with muslims possessing "extreme views" they view Western capitalism as a threat to their way of life. I'm a liberal. I doubt "Dubya" has brainwashed me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: how dare i "bash" the united states? to think that the u.s. is completely innocent just because your an american is pretty ridiculous. its like the parent who will never beleive that their child is really a bad kid. look at the history of the united states, the u.s. has constantly done shady things to provoke war or get things it wants. ooh im a horrible person because i dare to say something against the u.s. please. all of you who say that its a stupid comment or try to dismiss me as somone obsessed with conspiracy, dont let nationalism, patriotism or more appropriately fanatacism blind you to what the united states really is. an empire built on stealing, lying, and killing. the true values of democracy ended a long time ago and instead we have this hollow government corrupted by big business lobbyist who can easily get politicians to sell the rest of the country out. i suppose the u.s. didnt sell weapons to iran in the 80's, i suppose we didnt arm and train al quaeda ourselves, i suppose we never tried to assasinate castro. yeah im the one whos stuck in the fantasy right?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: how dare i "bash" the united states? to think that the u.s. is completely innocent just because your an american is pretty ridiculous. its like the parent who will never beleive that their child is really a bad kid. look at the history of the united states, the u.s. has constantly done shady things to provoke war or get things it wants. ooh im a horrible person because i dare to say something against the u.s. please. all of you who say that its a stupid comment or try to dismiss me as somone obsessed with conspiracy, dont let nationalism, patriotism or more appropriately fanatacism blind you to what the united states really is. an empire built on stealing, lying, and killing. the true values of democracy ended a long time ago and instead we have this hollow government corrupted by big business lobbyist who can easily get politicians to sell the rest of the country out. i suppose the u.s. didnt sell weapons to iran in the 80's, i suppose we didnt arm and train al quaeda ourselves, i suppose we never tried to assasinate castro. yeah im the one whos stuck in the fantasy right?

Patriotism or not, what single piece of proof do you have that the US is involved? Though I do submit that US commits its shares of "questionable" deeds, would you like to show me exactly how this bombing wasn't masterminded minded by Santa Claus?

And what the hell makes you think Muslims (fundies, mind you) wouldn't bomb their own land? Zealots puts their agendas first and immediate needs second. I think you need to find out a bit more about what fundamentalism really is.

"Probably" nothing.

Just when I tought people couldnt get any stupider , you go ahead and say something like this..... It's fucking incredible anyone would say something so ridiculous.

why is tony's comment so stupid? just because shit like this is not out in the open for the public to know, doesn't make it altogether unrealistic. i have come to the realization that politics is an extremely dirty field and people will stoop to very low levels to get the things they want.

i wouldn't be surprised if it was an inside job either.

my point is: NONE OF US KNOW, OR WILL KNOW. So to say a comment is stupid is bullshit, since none of us who are posting on these issues really do have all the info there is about things.

Originally posted by sassa

why is tony's comment so stupid? just because shit like this is not out in the open for the public to know, doesn't make it altogether unrealistic. i have come to the realization that politics is an extremely dirty field and people will stoop to very low levels to get the things they want.

my point is: NONE OF US KNOW, OR WILL KNOW. So to say a comment is stupid is bullshit, since none of us who are posting on these issues really do have all the info there is about things.

Why is it stupid? Because he not only accused the US of being behind the bombing, he based it on what Muslims will or will not do, which is in itself an empty assumtion made on his part.

Could it have been the US? Sure. But it also could have been every other nation on the planet. And I quote: "it was probably done by the u.s.a. on the low to provoke muslim-u.s. tensions. i doubt muslims would bomb their own land for no reason." Two completely baseless asumptions with absolutely no evidence to back it up.

You're so right when you said that "none of us who are posting on these issues really do have all the info there is about things." That's why most of the people who've posted on this thread so far didn't make assumptions about who did it, and who's behind it.

You should be greatful you live in such a beautiful country. If you are so against the US and its policies why dont you fucking leave then? go join Al Queda for all I care, but stop bitching and moaning about how "cruel" and unjust the US is. This is the greates nation in the world and all you can do is bitch and complain about its policies. Do you think you would be living as good elsewhere? If so maybe you should go there or go back where u came from!

Originally posted by sassa

How in the world can you defend such a ridiculous coment?