Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Can NYC do something with the radio

Gotta give some props to KOU. On a rare occasion WKCR will have and decent DnB set late nights. There is also a station up in Westchester somewhere that plays a lot of sets at night.

For the most part, there are no decent techno stations.

Originally posted by danwilson

I dont think there's ever been a station that plays trance, house and dance mixes in NY. KTU plays it at night on Friday and Saturday night.

yeah, coming home from the city on Friday I put on KTU and they had Oakenfold on. I mean, it's Oakenfold, but it was still kind of refreshing.

Originally posted by zeeker

yeah, coming home from the city on Friday I put on KTU and they had Oakenfold on. I mean, it's Oakenfold, but it was still kind of refreshing.

Theres no way that Paul Oakenfold records a set and gives it to KTU every week...its probably some local DJ that puts together a set and mails it in to KTU...Using the name Paul Oakenfold is what makes people listen to it...think about it...theres a Paul Oakenfold show on Party 93.1 on Fridays and a show called State Side on Galaxy 105 in the UK on Saturdays...if u think a guy as busy as Mr Oakenfold is putting sets together every week ur outta ur mind

I wouldnt be surprised if the set on 93.1 and KTU were the same. Okenfold has a music distribution company that radio stations go through to get his mixes. They mail out a CD to the affiliate stations each week and are the ones that make sure that only one station in each market his the 'rights' to his mix's, etc.

I'm sure that Okenfold is getting paid a very nice sum of money to lay down a set for these stations, so i'm sure he's more then willing to make time :)

bern

Originally posted by joecrack13

Theres no way that Paul Oakenfold records a set and gives it to KTU every week...its probably some local DJ that puts together a set and mails it in to KTU...Using the name Paul Oakenfold is what makes people listen to it...think about it...theres a Paul Oakenfold show on Party 93.1 on Fridays and a show called State Side on Galaxy 105 in the UK on Saturdays...if u think a guy as busy as Mr Oakenfold is putting sets together every week ur outta ur mind

all i said was that they had Paul Oakenfold on. I'm sure it was an older set, but it was refreshing nontheless.

Actually if you are a station that pays for it, Paul makes a mix and sends that same mix out to each station for the week...so each station in each state is playing the same mix. Now whether or not Paul is spinning is another story, who knows he might have some other DJ do it for him, but that is how it works and how he is everywhere all at once. Lots of DJ's do this for national mixshows.

Originally posted by sdeelite

Actually if you are a station that pays for it, Paul makes a mix and sends that same mix out to each station for the week...so each station in each state is playing the same mix. Now whether or not Paul is spinning is another story, who knows he might have some other DJ do it for him, but that is how it works and how he is everywhere all at once. Lots of DJ's do this for national mixshows.

Exactly the point that I was trying to make. This works the same for any nationally syndicated program- take something like Casey Casem's Top 40- the number one song (and the other 39) are all the same in all 50 states across the country.

There are often VERY specific rules that go along with these programs as well, some distribution companies make you sign a form that says you will air the show only once and they destroy the disk it came on, and others give you a prepaid envelope to mail the CD back to them to make sure that the show does not get in the 'wrong hands'

bern

ya know for being the greatest city in the world be have the wackest radio stations in the world...we need something like the UK has with Radio 1 where they throw huge free parties (i.e. the WMC kickoff party at Nikki Beach in Miami)...and we need good DJ's on the radio like they have...Pete Tong, Judge Jules, Seb Fontaine and the Essentials Mix...now thats Dance music...what the fuck is KTU thinkin playing songs like Stranger in my house and I turn to you...who knows what the hell theyre playing now or days....all i know is that I wanna strangle that jack-off Vic Latino...screaming out "holla" every 5 minutes...or "whats crackalackin"...thats what comes out of the 15 year olds mouths at exit on a friday night...Z100 should just explode...they have to make up their mind on what the hell theyre doin cause u cant go from Jay Z to Blink 182 right after each other....hot 97 and power 105 arent bad...ill give them credit...all im saying is that we need a station that can get world recognition for dance music...we live in the capital of the world....we need something like a Radio 1 or Galaxy 105 in the UK....ever since Twilo closed we lost our world renowned club so we need that back as well....if anyone agrees follow up and if u disagree, by all means reply...im curious to see what everyone thinks

Radio 1 is no joke. :aright:

Originally posted by codica3

Radio 1 is no joke. :aright:

Actually, if you look at it from a programming aspect, Radio 1 is no different from most radio stations here in the states. The real difference is that the taste of the general UK population when it comes to dance music is a lot more "refined".

Quite honestly, it's all about capturing that target market (females, age range between 18-35 I believe, in KTU's case). When we see the tastes of the market improve, the quality of the music played on the stations will improve as well, ideally. But considering the way that the music industry fuctions and the music listening public being who they are, I'm not holding my breath.

LOL tell me about it! I was like wow, house music on the radio! and even freestyle!

Remember the days when Q102 use to broadcast live from Egypt and the Warehouse, you could hear some quality house music with Jeff Rice and Chuck Addis. ALL they have now is corny ass Richie Rich playing a fuckin DAT or the same songs you hear during the day. It pisses me off. I use to listen to Hex Hector and Robbie Tronco's sets when they use to come on the radio. And this wasn't even that long ago, they use to do this up until about '99 or '00 then they just stopped.

Maybe I'll come out with my own radio station one day in PHILLY and it will be all house music 24/7 !

Peace,

-XeNo-

I've heard a lot of good things about XM, if you really want radio - its a serious choice, my homie maa bell has a show in rotation on it, and they have REAL underground music, there programming directors know what they are doing...they have mainstream as well, but theres something for everyone!

Personally Soulseek is the only radio i need, and as soon as i get a new deck that will play mp3 CDRW's i dont think my radio will ever go on again! (unless it has XM installed!)

and what ever happend to robbie tronco?

Originally posted by berniec

Exactly the point that I was trying to make. This works the same for any nationally syndicated program- take something like Casey Casem's Top 40- the number one song (and the other 39) are all the same in all 50 states across the country.

There are often VERY specific rules that go along with these programs as well, some distribution companies make you sign a form that says you will air the show only once and they destroy the disk it came on, and others give you a prepaid envelope to mail the CD back to them to make sure that the show does not get in the 'wrong hands'

bern

Sorry, I totally missed your post about the music distribution company....

But uh...I was just reiterating your point I guess;)

Originally posted by danwilson

berniec, I'm in Longisland and I dont get party 105. Mattm20 told me, only 2 towns in Longisland receive that station. They need to get a more powerful signal.

This station really is quite good for mainstream dance...

If it's signal reached NY it would surely blow away KTU...

However, their signal is notoriously weak:( .

Originally posted by djwrecknyc

john digweed hosts a show on kissfm 100 uk every sat.. and theres the breakbeat show on fridays..

Yum yum.. I love me some Kiss 100 FM.. I was listening to a Hybrid set from that station today on the way to work. :D

djxeno- I thought I was the only person that remembered "the old Q102"! I was so sad when the switched to the format that about 10 other stations in Philly use :( It is so funny that you mentioned Chuck Addis b/c I just posted about him on the Philly board. Where is he?! I used to go to Shampoo and Egypt just to hear him, but I haven't heard anything about him in months. Holla if you know what's up :)

I don't know what's up with him. But yeah he use to be the resident at Egypt and he doesn't spin as much as he use too. I know he's married so maybe he just settled down. Who knows...

I sure as hell do miss the old Q tho......

Peace,

-XeNo-