Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Open Discussion and Poll: Censorship v. racism?

DaVe

What would you do?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Remove the words, or ban the user.
    • Leave it as is.
    • No strong position either way.

Racism? Censorship?

I have been asked to require a user to remove potentially offensive words from their Profile or ban them for violating our "Terms of Service." I personally do not wish to tolerate racism, nor do I wish to censor what some may consider free speech.

Since this is a community, I thought it would be a good chance to see what the community thinks. Take a look at the following profile, our terms of service, and let us know what you think we should do. I hope that something constructive can come out of this...

Here is the profile:

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/member.php?&action=getinfo&userid=60108

Part of the profile:

Total Posts: 5582 (7.42 posts per day)

Birthday: January 16, 1977

Location: Nigga Please!!! < YUP STILL IN HERE GA YOU FUCKING LOSER!!!

Part of our member agreement:

“USE OF THE SERVICE; MEMBER CONDUCT”: “for the purposes of soliciting, offending or harassing any person or persons; to alter the directory listings, event listings, or other information, or enter additional listings or Content which in any way: (i) are unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable, (ii) violates any patent, trademark, service mark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of another, or (iii) are known to be false or misleading at the time of entry.”

11. TERMINATION

You agree that Clubplanet.com, in its sole discretion, may terminate your password, account (or any part thereof) or use of the Service, and remove and discard any Content within the Service, for any reason, including, without limitation, for lack of use or if Clubplanet.com believes that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of the SA. Clubplanet.com may also in its sole discretion and at any time discontinue providing the Service, or any part thereof, with or without notice. You agree that any termination of your access to the Service under any provision of this SA may be effected without prior notice, and acknowledge and agree that Clubplanet.com may immediately deactivate or delete your account and all related information and files in your account and/or bar any further access to such files or the Service. Further, you agree that Clubplanet.com shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your access to the Service.

Also remeber, we are a private company, so free speech issues do not apply as strongly as they do elsewhere. We can remove things without notification. Let's make this a community decision.

Let us know what you think...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . Hmm. . .Racism is a horrible thing. . . and if the person spewing it is truly trying to incite bad reactions from people because he or she hates the object of ridicule for no other reason then his or her race, then I say have them take it down and if they don't comply, ban them . . . But we must keep in mind that this is Saleen351 we're talking about here . . I think the board's interests would be better served if we all just flew down there, rounded up the Miami peeps and beat the living shit out of him . . . Then maybe he'd learn when to keep his fucking pie hole shut . . :aright: . . .

Guest saleen351

This is great…

We have a register member named Moley, but the word nigga is more offensive??? Get your head out of your ass…. Look at da jews location… is that not offensive? You simply attack me cause people read my posts. You claim it is cause I’m white. If I was black not one person would say a god dam thing. Its cause I’m the saleen and I simply get the most attention. The word guido use to be offensive, but us Italians simply don’t care, we are too busy waxing your wives and girlfriends. If you don’t like it ban me, I will not change it!!!!!!!!!! Dave you know where I’ll be if you ban me. Before I got here this board was slow, and dave you don’t make money on slow boards…End of story…

The word nigga is said on the radio all the time.. Hot 97 says it all the time… but man when Jlo said it on her album the blacks sure got pissed cause she’s a Rican… so we should have word discrimination based on color?

DO NOT REPLY UNLESS YOU CAN EXPLAIN TO ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN:

MOLEY AND NIGGA

AND

Location: TEMPLE ISRAEL WITH MY AK47 GUNNING DOWN PALESTINIANS

UNTIL YOU CAN EFFECTLY TELL WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS, THEN PEOPLE DON’T POST. YOU ARE ALL FOOLS IF YOU THING THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

If moley is accepted and not offensive please change my name to Nigga351…. And I’ll take the word nigga out of my location.

Don’t you think its funny after 9-11 every one had anti muslim things in their sigs, and towel head comments, but it wasn’t a big deal. So in times of crisis, its ok to to use those words? Maybe I’ll just wait till Africa attacks us… Then the word nigga would be accepted…

And dave why didn't you post that you said qoute " I don't mind the word "nigga" in your location"....

and as I typed this i had a rap station on. to quote Ja rule or what ever stunad was rapping:

nigga what? playa playa

This is the eternal conundrum for moderators. IMO, unless someone is being personally attacked aka "Billy Bob you are a nigger" - then people should be able to use whatever language they see fit.

Their word choice only reflects THEIR ignorance, and does not have any real impact on how the the board is seen as a whole. Besides, board trolls will find a way to razz members w/out that sort of language - so it is a losing battle!

I've found CP to be a highly diverse and accepting place and would like to keep it that way. I vote for letting the people of the board decide through positive or negative reinforcement what is appropriate for their crew. If people don't like something someone has posted in their profile - I'd suggest not reading it and not responding to any of that person's posts. If enough people feel that way, the person will in effect be shunned and will likely stop posting here.

That's my .02!

Ruth

should someone’s constitutional right to freedom of speech, supercede clearly stated rules of conduct as imposed by a private or public entity? my unqualified opinion, would be no. clearly stated rules, and acceptance of those rules constitutes a legally binding contract. plain and simple you accepted the terms, thus your violation of said terms. should be addressed as stated, and agreed to by both parties.

as I previously stated "there is enough bigotry in this world, and we don’t need to bring here. while I believe everyone has a right to express themselves; it is also my believe that one should have respect for others."

Oh please, there is plenty of "racial" words used on this board daily, from the NY section to Drama to Miami. So now this is gonna be made a big deal, because there is enough bigotry in this world, and we dont need it here.

Please, ok then racists, crackheads, and drug dealers, can't post no more either. Also get rid of all the gays, male and female. Unless your 100% perfect, Clubplanet does not want you.

What is said on messageboards should not be edited deleted or changed in any matter. I am a huge fan of free speech. I also understand and accept the responiblities with also being objectified as well. Under no circumstances, should anyone touch another post including the proprietor.

The reason: Sensorship has created avenues for a lot of crappy and teenie boper music, so I equate sensorship with "the reason the collective listens to garbage music."

I do not agree with board flooding however. We are all adults here.

It is strange some of the most intelligent people on this board have emotional outbreaks the appear from time to time.

As for Saleen I understand him, he like to make a point to the extreme of rubbing it in your face. If you do not like language like nigger ignore it a lot fo people who make huge problems here just want attention. The world is an ocean of chaos let us focus on the postive.

If Saleen really speaks in such away such as yo nigga im a playa then he is just an unschooled moron and needs to enter finishing school. I really think though he is just trying to push the envelope of free speech!

Anyone care to respond?

Originally posted by saleen351

This is great…

We have a register member named Moley, but the word nigga is more offensive??? Get your head out of your ass…. Look at da jews location… is that not offensive? You simply attack me cause people read my posts. You claim it is cause I’m white. If I was black not one person would say a god dam thing. Its cause I’m the saleen and I simply get the most attention. The word guido use to be offensive, but us Italians simply don’t care, we are too busy waxing your wives and girlfriends. If you don’t like it ban me, I will not change it!!!!!!!!!! Dave you know where I’ll be if you ban me. Before I got here this board was slow, and dave you don’t make money on slow boards…End of story…

The word nigga is said on the radio all the time.. Hot 97 says it all the time… but man when Jlo said it on her album the blacks sure got pissed cause she’s a Rican… so we should have word discrimination based on color?

MOLEY AND NIGGA

AND

UNTIL YOU CAN EFFECTLY TELL WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS, THEN PEOPLE DON’T POST. YOU ARE ALL FOOLS IF YOU THING THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

If moley is accepted and not offensive please change my name to Nigga351…. And I’ll take the word nigga out of my location.

Don’t you think its funny after 9-11 every one had anti muslim things in their sigs, and towel head comments, but it wasn’t a big deal. So in times of crisis, its ok to to use those words? Maybe I’ll just wait till Africa attacks us… Then the word nigga would be accepted…

And dave why didn't you post that you said qoute " I don't mind the word "nigga" in your location"....

and as I typed this i had a rap station on. to quote Ja rule or what ever stunad was rapping:

nigga what? playa playa

tell me your not seriously implying this board is successful b/c you started posting here..

should someone’s constitutional right to freedom of speech, supercede clearly stated rules of conduct as imposed by a private or public entity? my unqualified opinion, would be no. clearly stated rules, and acceptance of those rules constitutes a contract. Plain and simple you accepted the terms, thus your violation of said terms. should be addressed as stated, and agreed to by both parties.

as I previously stated on the miami board "there is enough bigotry in this world, and we don’t need to bring here. while I believe everyone has a right to express themselves; it is also my believe that one should have respect for others."

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by PFloyd40

tell me your not seriously implying this board is successful b/c you started posting here..

did i use the word successful? NO, but i do get a lot of impressions for Dave... and thats a fact jack!!!!!!

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by lillizzy

saleen lives!!!

i may have to start posting on that board that you are on if i get banned:D

hit me up on aim, i need a track... i can't find it anywhere..

Originally posted by saleen351

This is great…

MOLEY AND NIGGA

AND

nigga what? playa playa

The word "nigger/nigga" is not ever going to be tolerated in anyway. just because people say it does not mean its acceptable. somehow its become cool to say and i hate that. i was on the bus the other day and this little 15 yr old red head kid with freckles and blue eyes is talkin to this girl with blonde hair and blue eyes saying "yo nigga wassup, ima cop a 20 and then ima jack this nigga", this by lincoln center btw so its not like this kid is from the ghetto. i found it very offensive, whats more offensive is that it is justified by saying "if black people say it why cant i?" as far as im concerned one should not look for excuses to go along with the ignorant, instead educate urself on the issue. the word nigga is very offensive.

dajews shooting up arabs orwhatever it said is also offensive.

all users that cannot control their language from being offensive can be banned because they agreed to the user aggreement end of story. the only problem would be implementation, who judges what is and is not offensive enough to incite anger, and equality of its enforcement, some people might say why was i banned if this person did the same thing.

the law is the law and thats that.

See your point and dissagree strongly. Everyone should be mature enough to ignore stuff they do not want to see. Why do there need to be rules on a forum. The answer is there doesn't unless the point of the board is not just about music, if it is used as a marketing tool to appease advertisors, and generic america with puritanical ideal and ears!

THIS IS ALL A BUNCH OF BULLSHIT, WHO ARE THE MODS TO SAY YOU CANT SAY THIS RACIAL SLUR BUT YOU CAN SAY THIS ONE. ITS OK TO SAY GUIDO BUT YOU CANT SAY NIGGA ( WHICH IS A SLANG WORD NOT A RACIAL WORD ) WHATS THE DIFFERENCE, WHO REALLY CARES. IF YOU ARE BLACK AND YOU DONT LIKE THE WORD THEN WHY DO YOU CALL EACH OTHER IT. THIS IS JUST STUPID, I THINK THE MODERATORS JUST DONT LIKE SALEEN AND HAVE IT OUT FOR HIM. IF YOU ARE GONNA PUNISH HIM YOU SHOULD PUNISH EVERY ONE ELSE THAT USES A RACIAL SLANG WORD (WHICH INCLUDES ME)..... OWE WELL !!!!!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

theres a huge difference when those in a minority group use a racially deragatory word around each other. we (a minority group) know what it is to be called one of those words. we know that no matter how many times we may hear it in our lives, it will still give us a feeling like we've been kicked in the gut. when we call each other one of those words we do it kiddingly - no offense is taken because we know the other person has gone through the same thing. when someone in a majority group (or even another minority group) says the same thing to us, we get offended, no matter what the other's person's intentions may be. all we see is someone trying to use our race as some sort of play thing to joke around with. they have never been in our shoes, so why are they pretending they have been?

Main Entry: nig·ger

Pronunciation: 'ni-g&r

Function: noun

Etymology: alteration of earlier neger, from Middle French negre, from Spanish or Portuguese negro, from negro black, from Latin niger

Date: 1700

1 usually offensive, see usage paragraph below : a black person

2 usually offensive, see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race

3 : a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons <it's time for somebody to lead all of America's niggers... all the people who feel left out of the political process -- Ron Dellums>

usage Nigger in senses 1 and 2 can be found in the works of such writers of the past as Joseph Conrad, Mark Twain, and Charles Dickens, but it now ranks as perhaps the most offensive and inflammatory racial slur in English. Its use by and among blacks is not always intended or taken as offensive, but, except in sense 3, it is otherwise a word expressive of racial hatred and bigotry.

Source : Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary

Originally posted by sobeton

Main Entry: nig·ger

Pronunciation: 'ni-g&r

Function: noun

Etymology: alteration of earlier neger, from Middle French negre, from Spanish or Portuguese negro, from negro black, from Latin niger

Date: 1700

1 usually offensive, see usage paragraph below : a black person

2 usually offensive, see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race

3 : a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons <it's time for somebody to lead all of America's niggers... all the people who feel left out of the political process -- Ron Dellums>

usage Nigger in senses 1 and 2 can be found in the works of such writers of the past as Joseph Conrad, Mark Twain, and Charles Dickens, but it now ranks as perhaps the most offensive and inflammatory racial slur in English. Its use by and among blacks is not always intended or taken as offensive, but, except in sense 3, it is otherwise a word expressive of racial hatred and bigotry.

Source : Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary

it doesnt matter what textbook definition you give of the word. in this country it has been used to racially intimidate and marginalize a group of people. unfortunately, that connotation will always be associated with that word

Originally posted by sxyaznchiq

theres a huge difference when those in a minority group use a racially deragatory word around each other. we (a minority group) know what it is to be called one of those words. we know that no matter how many times we may hear it in our lives, it will still give us a feeling like we've been kicked in the gut. when we call each other one of those words we do it kiddingly - no offense is taken because we know the other person has gone through the same thing. when someone in a majority group (or even another minority group) says the same thing to us, we get offended, no matter what the other's person's intentions may be. all we see is someone trying to use our race as some sort of play thing to joke around with. they have never been in our shoes, so why are they pretending they have been?

That is BULLSHIT! If the word is offensive, its wrong to use no matter what. That "walk in our shoes" excuse is a load of crap. Boo Hoo 4 you.

I think Saleen should be able to speak his mind. This board is a melting pot of ideas. We don’t have to agree with him.