Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ONGAKU! is no more...

anteye

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATTN MELLI & MATTAS : YOU GUYS DIDNT SNATCH SHIT !! IM GETTING MENGS CD BACK 4 SURE !! THAT SHIT IS OFF DA HOOK !!! HEY MENG , ID LIKE A COPY OF FRIDAYS SET TOO IF ITS POSSIBLE .. BTW HOW DID YOU GUYS LIKE MY GHETTO LOOK THAT NIGHT ??:laugh: :laugh: HOW ABOUT MY KOOL SHIRT WITH MY OCCUPATION ON IT ??:laugh: :laugh:

Ongaku is no more. Unfortunately this seems to be the truth. It seems good things come and go and unfortunately this was something that went. I'm sure Stryke will be playing at other Venues and cities, but the vibe at Ongaku was special and the venue was great. I dont think anyone can ask anymore from that staff at RED

To the substance crew. Thanks for everything.

Greg, thanks for givin a chance to for some new faces to open up the dancefloors and hopefully the minds of a new generation.

music is the basis of all reality ....

TAKING OVER MIAMI,

Ramon C.

are you restricted

Originally posted by pod

Hopefully, this party gave Substance a bit more 'oomph', and they can get one-offs at larger venues, and hopefully a weekly going again sometime soon.

lol...good one pod. substance recordings is also no longer. we can't afford to continue the label...ongaku was an offshoot of the label. we were hoping to use the night to help and showcase the label. neither matt nor myself can afford to keep paying to do the parties or paying for releases that people don't buy (but rip from the net). what a life... i will continue to dj and continue to produce. it just won't be ongaku or substance recordings.

Originally posted by stryke303

lol...good one pod. substance recordings is also no longer. we can't afford to continue the label...ongaku was an offshoot of the label. we were hoping to use the night to help and showcase the label. neither matt nor myself can afford to keep paying to do the parties or paying for releases that people don't buy (but rip from the net). what a life... i will continue to dj and continue to produce. it just won't be ongaku or substance recordings.

I am really really really sorry to hear this. I'm speechless. I had no idea so much was riding on this, if I had I would've gladly paid 10 bucks. It's not an excuse though. I should've known better. Every single time that I went out on a friday night I always went to red when it was open. Unfortunately sometimes I would work late or something would come up and we wouldn't go out on a friday night and that's why me and nighstar weren't there every friday.

Greg and Matt, I'm so sorry to hear about this.

damn, when it rains, it pours....:(

sorry to hear that, guys.....I got on here now to post some pics from last Friday's Ongaku and I just see more bad news.....but fuck, at least let me share with you guys some images of what was the last party at Ongaku with me and Confucius:

click here for pics from the last Ongaku and also from FX at Level

I'll be looking forward to future Stryke appearances and Matt, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

hey now,

i don't want to turn this into a pity party. and i'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty (well, maybe i am...but not those that supported us...ga2 and nightstar gave their support). i know that people have lives. i certainly don't expect people to party like it's 1999! but, there is a fairly thriving club scene here, and we were bringing a damn good night. i guess it's also a little strange to me that i can fly to california and headline for 6000 people or fly overseas to europe or latin america and headline w/ a 12 hour set and have people there from beginning to end. strange. i travel and people ask when the next single is coming out, or did i really do such and such remix. here, it's very different for me. hardly anyone here even knows my discography. however, it is quite humbling and helps me to keep both feet planted firmly on the ground. such is life as they say. i should just move to paris and being my search for audrey tautau (the current love of my life...if you saw the film amelie, you know who i'm speaking of). however, i love miami too much ;) audrey will have to come here and find me.

Miami's a tough crowd......the majority just know what they are used to and they also shy away from new ideas.....sad but true

hey now,

i don't want to turn this into a pity party. and i'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty (well, maybe i am...but not those that supported us...ga2 and nightstar gave their support). i know that people have lives. i certainly don't expect people to party like it's 1999! but, there is a fairly thriving club scene here, and we were bringing a damn good night. i guess it's also a little strange to me that i can fly to california and headline for 6000 people or fly overseas to europe or latin america and headline w/ a 12 hour set and have people there from beginning to end. strange. i travel and people ask when the next single is coming out, or did i really do such and such remix. here, it's very different for me. hardly anyone here even knows my discography. however, it is quite humbling and helps me to keep both feet planted firmly on the ground. such is life as they say. i should just move to paris and being my search for audrey tautau (the current love of my life...if you saw the film amelie, you know who i'm speaking of). however, i love miami too much ;) audrey will have to come here and find me.

WHAT A SHAME!!!!

Miami's underground dance music scene (or lack thereof) rears it's ugly head yet again.......

These guys gave their hearts, souls and pockets in order to give us something new and fresh.....and as usual.......nobody gave a shit.....who's next?? Big DJ Little club??? (or Big DJ Little Crowd so far) Greed???

It seems like this town is all talk and no action....everybody constantly bitches but people don't put up when the time comes..

Stryke don't let this get to you....you should be used to it by now...you are among the best techno dj's in the world, you have records currently being released on some of the world's best labels (Bedrock, Intec, Hooj, Ovum, Guidance)...you dj all over the planet and have fans across the globe....but here at home YOU CAN'T GET ARRESTED!!!!

That's Miami for you......We have several DJ/Producers, right here in our hometown, whom are among the best at what they do...yet the local support is just not there.....

It all goes back to that term that I hate so much "LOCAL DJ"

The day we start showing our hometown heroes the respect they deserve is the day that our local scene will begin to flourish....succesful scenes are built from within (just as succesful clubs are built by their residents) It has always worked that way....we just don't get it here yet....We are still in "the grass is always greener on the other side" stage.....Somehow being from Miami hurts you here!!! (you would think it would help:( )

But for now we must deal with the cards we've been dealt....while Stryke was busting his ass every Friday playing monster sets...everyone was standing in line to hear whatever British flavor of the month newbie was in town to play some half-ass set that could not even compare to Stryke's...such is our scene....bandwagon-jumpin-trendy-followers....oh well

anyway.....I am rambling....I can go on forever..(I have years of hometown recognition frustration issues myself) but the main thing I wanted to say is:

Thank you Stryke and Matt for having the balls to bring us a great concept, great music and a great party....I am truly sorry to see it go...

:(:mad::(

O.G.

Originally posted by djoscarg

....but here at home YOU CAN'T GET ARRESTED!!!!

maybe he can't... but I sure can! (Greg will fill you in)

Oscar, I want you to know that one of the biggest regrets in calling it quits is that I feel that we, in particular, have let you down. I know you understand our reasons and don't fault us, but can't help to think that this may cause you to lose a little more faith in your own mission (as it applies to miami). Please don't let that happen. Man, you're doing it right and I'm positive this town will come around. I also know that you're the type of guy to make it happen.

Even though I, personally, am going to duck out of the club/music thing for a while, know that you can count on me to support you in anything you do. I can say that without regard to consequence because I know that whatever it is, it will have thought, meaning and emotion behind it. All the ingredients for greatness.

Thanks,

Matt

I've never understood the sentiment myself...everyone in Miami loves to compare it to New York, London, etc...

I feel bad that I wasn't at Ongaku! as much as I shoulda been, but when I did show up, I had a fantastic time, it was one of the few parties I felt totally at home at.

hey now,

Stryke:

I feel for you and your crew. I know how passionately you guys worked this project, how paciently you waited 'til the last event to flip things to the better side. It's a shame.

For you to remember who I am, remember the person who was last with you in the DJ booth at Lola, the day of the Monday techno night with Armando. We were three people in the booth, two more enjoying the music and one bartender. Not even the manager was there then.

Your party at Red started the second or third Friday after I started mine at Lola. That should be enough for you to understand why I was with you 'til the end on a Monday, but you wouldn't see me there for Ongaku. I really felt down last Friday, a few of my good friends were at Red, I had to work what was my last night at Lola as well.

I have been walking the dark for a long, long time. I feel the underground scene as most of you guys. That is why I started my party at private places, worked my crowd and the following for my resident DJs. Never knew of your project 'til after a week or two that I started at Lola.

Mine were eleven Fridays in which dealing with numbers started to kill in me the underground soul I have been born with. When people who think have the decision on one's party attempt to put pressure in seek of whatever number they want to ring, they can knock the doors of the promoter they want. I will step aside now and always.

I posted in this forum what I was achieving, sharing information that intended to bring the atention of this board to an honest project. On Friday August 9th, less than 20 people stopped by Lola. On Friday August 16th, at my first party, 450 people came to support us. For the next two Fridays, over 400 people per night. Numbers declined lately, but never below 220. And this were things achieved without any support from the management.

IMO my stepping away from Lola will give long term life to my project. I will patiently throw a monthly event, and keep the light of my candle flaming this way. I have formed a following. But can't expect to have them every Friday there. Instead of burning them out, I will ....

I believe the problem is not Miami and its people. It is a problem of who is driving the car. I can only tell you, I had to put my hand in my pocket to pay my DJs what they really deserved, to pay my VJs, to bring a projector, ring lights, bring even fluid for a damn smoke machine (have this people ever heard the song?), pay door staff, promotion, even my own posters. But you know what, I would do it again, and again, and again. Because I do believe in the long term project, I'm not short term hungry because this project is about music.

And with most probably the lowest budget party in the circuit, I was able to average over 250 people per night. The numbers declined, but more was my motivation to keep up with it.

I wish luck to the other two promoters at Lola. They do get the backing they deserve. I didn't, but you now what, I don't want it. Being a smart business person is to see real potential for growth, and that is determined by the vibe and feeling of the crowd. My people did not come to see a big talent from out of town. They came to see two local DJs, and a few local guests that collaborated with us. For this board their names didn't sound familiar at the beginning. I hope the ones who never made it to Phat Music Sessions at least know who they are and have the respect for their talent, thru others.

Sorry to have talked about my party in your thread, but it has a common denominator, direspect for party's that are about music the way music was meant to be.

Wish you luck in your future projects. Please keep me posted. I will support the scene for real local talent always.

"I just want people to understand that money is one thing, but soul is another"

Paz,

MD

On a slightly related note...

In terms of supporting the locals, there is a growing movement for it, it's gonna take some time, especially with the miami crowd, which tends to just go through the motions sometimes. Go out, get wasted, go home.

Then you have the supporters of dance music in general, who only tend to go out when a big time DJ is on the decks. Grant it, I honestly think people like Lee B., and so forth are great, but for some it's interesting how that's the only time you see them out...even worse, I've seen people down here in Miami seriously consider, or outright go on and spend $200 on a plane ticket to see a DJ that will be in Miami at some point in the next month anyway! Wish they'd think about it, they could go out and support a local party that weekend for $10 cover, plus $20-$25 to get a few drinks, go to see their bigtime DJ the next weekend, and still come out under $200! Meanwhile, good local parties like PMS and Ongaku! have to fight to get even one person in the door sometimes. Don't even get me started on the slobbering masses that consider the Blue Room in Level on Saturdays heaven.

By day and night I work on the beach. My little hobby takes me to all the parties, big and small. So I tend to see it all. I have faith when I see what Roland's party @ Space is becoming, but then it gets knocked down again when I hear that 2 parties I actually thought had a fighting chance get KOed.

Maybe the beach itself is truly going to turn into a mecca of FUBU and Escalades. If that's the case, I'm seriously hoping Downtown will continue to rise up...it's too bad the good places left on the beach couldn't just magically trade their buildings in for one downtown away from all the BS.

I hope nobody takes offensive to my post. I think we are being just a little harsh, on the scene in general. we already know that miami is tuff, people will follow the trend and that’s the reality of the miami scene. so what can we do ? pull up the carpet, and say that’s it ?? the reality is the mega clubs dominate our scene right now, I don’t think that it is a terrible thing. however you have three major clubs in miami crobar, Level, and Space. what are they doing to bring this talent we have to the people. what is the risk in showcasing and bringing the talent, we have in our own backyard to the forefront. the audience is already there; so use that to your advantage, and expose the people to something different and new. the likelihood of anyone going to a small club, to hear someone they don’t really know is an up hill battle. it’s sad, but then again it is the reality of our scene. people are going to go to certain clubs, because it is the trendy thing to do.

I’m embarrassed to say I never made it out to Red, and that is my loss. but I certainly hope that Greg, Matt, and any other DJ’s and promoters out there. won’t give up on the scene. the audience is there; it’s making them open up their ears and minds, which is the never ending struggle. we need new talent coming up. or the scene is just going to become nothing. particularly if we are going to count, on only guest dj’s to lead the parade, and totally disregard the talent, which is right in our backward.

I myself along with may others are sadden about the fact that ONGAKU's last night was last Friday. I really think that Greg had something here considering the support and respect that he has from most, especially the local artist which he has recently booked at ONGAKU. I am sure everyone wase already aware of the fact that unfortunately the beach is all about $$$$$MONEY$$$$$$ and we are all about the beats. In my eyes the love we have for music does not go well with the love that club owners have for $$$$MONEY$$$$

If I had the power I would grab many of the local DJ's and plant you guys in a club which already has an established crowd and show the crowd what real electronic dance music is. We would show the crowd that there is so much more out there that they have not have had the opportunity to listen to just because they are used to going to the "cool places, the "In" place, The "trendy places".

I feel that some of the local promoters (Biz hint hint) should take the responsibility and figure out a way to influence the club owners and their robots...I mean booking staffs to book more of the local talents which are much more advanced in sounds than MOST (have to stress this word to avoid arguments) of the current Miami residents.

What the beach lacks I hear in my room and in events such as ONGAKU.

attachment.php?s=&postid=983899

Originally posted by obby

We would show the crowd that there is so much more out there that they have not have had the opportunity to listen to just because they are used to going to the "cool places, the "In" place, The "trendy places".

thanks obby...however, i don't feel that miami is totally devoid of anything good. we've still got oscar at space (thank the heavens), the dhm guys doing their thing, and a few others. let's not forget what we DO have. do i think we could use some more? sure! but, it's not a total loss. when i stop djing around the world and stop getting asked by labels to produce or remix for them...that's when i'll start crying!!!! hopefully, i won't be too quiet in miami for too long. we'll see how it pans out...

paz,

stryke

Originally posted by obby

I myself along with may others are sadden about the fact that ONGAKU's last night was last Friday. I really think that Greg had something here considering the support and respect that he has from most, especially the local artist which he has recently booked at ONGAKU. I am sure everyone wase already aware of the fact that unfortunately the beach is all about $$$$$MONEY$$$$$$ and we are all about the beats. In my eyes the love we have for music does not go well with the love that club owners have for $$$$MONEY$$$$

If I had the power I would grab many of the local DJ's and plant you guys in a club which already has an established crowd and show the crowd what real electronic dance music is. We would show the crowd that there is so much more out there that they have not have had the opportunity to listen to just because they are used to going to the "cool places, the "In" place, The "trendy places".

I feel that some of the local promoters (Biz hint hint) should take the responsibility and figure out a way to influence the club owners and their robots...I mean booking staffs to book more of the local talents which are much more advanced in sounds than MOST (have to stress this word to avoid arguments) of the current Miami residents.

What the beach lacks I hear in my room and in events such as ONGAKU.

attachment.php?s=&postid=983899

Biz is but one voice, and we already know his dedication to scene. we need more voices taking it to the clubs and the owners with the $$$$. Louis Puig and Gerry Kelly are astute owners. I can’t imagine if something was presented to them, that they would not at least give it a try. we have a forum right here; with people actively involved in the scene in some respect or another. why not use this forum to throw the ideas out there. come up with a concrete plan and work it until somebody listens.

I not busting on you Obby; I’m just throwing some ideas around. I think people want to hear the beats; they may just be a little apprehensive, about seeking them out on their own.it’s embarrassing that people like Greg, Oscar, Edgar V., etc can play all over the world and people know who they are, and they are well respected. yet people in there own backyard have no clue who they are. the question is what can be done to change that ??