Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Check this out: Extasy might not be BAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Leading psychologists have caused a stir with claims that Ecstasy might not be dangerous at all.

The three psychologists - two English and one American - have claimed that findings published from studies on Ecstasy, a drug previously blamed for causing possible brain damage and a series of deaths, might be inaccurate.

Articles published by Dr John Cole, Harry Sumnall and the USA's Prof Charles Grob in the British Psychological Society magazine claimed that many of the studies carried out since 1995 have been flawed.

Those studies showed that Ecstasy effects the cells in the brain that produce serotonin, the chemical that's known to influence a person's mood. Use of Ecstasy, according to findings from those original studies, degenerates these cells.

However, this trio of psychologists said that Ecstasy use degenerates the nerve fibres, which can be re-grown, rather than the cells themselves.

The team accused scientists who carried out the studies of placing less focus on the data that suggests that exposure to Ecstasy has no long term effect and said that only the positive results of the studies were reported in detail.

In their article in the BPS they said: "This suggests that hypotheses concerning the long term effects of Ecstasy are not being uniformly substantiated and lends support to the idea that Ecstasy is not causing long term effects associated with the loss of serotonin."

While clubbers continue to take Ecstasy in large quantities - figures show that up to two million pills are consumed each weekend in the UK - the effects of these pills are still not known fully.

Deaths related to Ecstasy have risen in the past decade with the record figure of 27 E-related deaths in 2000. Of those 27 who died, 19 of them had other drugs in their systems and while the exact cause of death was not established, where it has been, the cause has been attributed to dehydration.

Since the article was published in the BPS a string of response articles have appeared in national newspapers. Paul Betts, father of Leah Betts who died after taking the drug in 1995, called the BPS article 'despicable'.

Meanwhile, there's no doubt that the views printed by Cole, Sumnall and Grob will prompt further studies into the effects of Ecstasy.

Yeah, but let's not use this study as a means of justification either. We'll do what we do, the important thing is to be mindful because, eventhough these guys say it's not bad, we all know to much is not good as well

Well put, just keep control and have fun don't over do it. Shit can happen any time, any were, to anyone, just be careful. This is just new info I found.

Originally posted by cpay9211

Leading psychologists have caused a stir with claims that Ecstasy might not be dangerous at all.

The three psychologists - two English and one American - have claimed that findings published from studies on Ecstasy, a drug previously blamed for causing possible brain damage and a series of deaths, might be inaccurate.

Articles published by Dr John Cole, Harry Sumnall and the USA's Prof Charles Grob in the British Psychological Society magazine claimed that many of the studies carried out since 1995 have been flawed.

Those studies showed that Ecstasy effects the cells in the brain that produce serotonin, the chemical that's known to influence a person's mood. Use of Ecstasy, according to findings from those original studies, degenerates these cells.

However, this trio of psychologists said that Ecstasy use degenerates the nerve fibres, which can be re-grown, rather than the cells themselves.

The team accused scientists who carried out the studies of placing less focus on the data that suggests that exposure to Ecstasy has no long term effect and said that only the positive results of the studies were reported in detail.

In their article in the BPS they said: "This suggests that hypotheses concerning the long term effects of Ecstasy are not being uniformly substantiated and lends support to the idea that Ecstasy is not causing long term effects associated with the loss of serotonin."

While clubbers continue to take Ecstasy in large quantities - figures show that up to two million pills are consumed each weekend in the UK - the effects of these pills are still not known fully.

Deaths related to Ecstasy have risen in the past decade with the record figure of 27 E-related deaths in 2000. Of those 27 who died, 19 of them had other drugs in their systems and while the exact cause of death was not established, where it has been, the cause has been attributed to dehydration.

Since the article was published in the BPS a string of response articles have appeared in national newspapers. Paul Betts, father of Leah Betts who died after taking the drug in 1995, called the BPS article 'despicable'.

Meanwhile, there's no doubt that the views printed by Cole, Sumnall and Grob will prompt further studies into the effects of Ecstasy.

i dont think theres an ounce of truth in this article...

Originally posted by dgmodel

i dont think theres an ounce of truth in this article...

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

this is a clubbing messageboard, we don't want truth, we want a reason to do drugs!!!!

and this just in:

Cigarettes have no ill effects!!!!!!!!!! :D

whether there is or isn't... 27 "ecstasy" related deaths...

versus how many over cancer from smoking? OD'inig from cocaine, heroin or worse? Death from drunk driving or alcohol poisoning?

And people are causing such a stir over E and calling for a heavy crackdown on everywhere it exists? geez:rolleyes: shows ya how ironic life is...

About a year and a half ago, TIME magazine did a huge story about ecstacy and they said that it destroys the nerve receptors that release seretonin and they can grow back, but sometimes they don't grow back correctly. That's why it affects people differently.

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"

"because its bs... i searched and searched and there isnt any record of any of these events or ppl except on ecstacy sites and raver forums... kinda like that urban legend with that ceo of nintendo saying that pacman line..."

Then you don't know how to use a computer. I found this on www.djmag.com where there is all the truth you need. actually here is the exact site:

http://www.djmag.com/pages/whats_up.cgi?file=whats_up20020902dj.csv&topic=drugs&story=0

I don't post bs you dumbass I post information to help anyone I can.

ehh id hate to say it cus id liek to believe it, but the article looks BS. djmaj prolly threw it up from somewhere they copyed and pasted, cus notice it has just enough facts to sound real, but not enough to look further into it, and also no sources - eg some kind of scientific journal or press release..im pretty sure its BS but then again so is every other E study!

people can be phenomenally ignorant of the things they have such strong opinions on.

the article exists. if you really looked for it how the fuck you didnt find it is beyond me. it is on the personal homepage of one of the authors- hes at university of liverpool in england. its all legit.

http://www.liv.ac.uk/Psychology/DeptInfo/StaffProfile/JCole/Sorted_Sep02Cole.pdf

it isnt a research study, it is a review paper listing (basically) all the experimental flaws in many of the studies done to date.

it does not say ecstasy is harmless, it is suggesting that a lot of the previous studies have severe methodology problems and that some people are drawing conclusions for which the research evidence is really not there.

again: they arent saying its harmless. they are casting doubts on the evidence for substantial long-term brain damage with moderate doses.

like anything, you have to judge for yourself.

Originally posted by unconnected

people can be phenomenally ignorant of the things they have such strong opinions on.

the article exists. if you really looked for it how the fuck you didnt find it is beyond me. it is on the personal homepage of one of the authors- hes at university of liverpool in england. its all legit.

http://www.liv.ac.uk/Psychology/DeptInfo/StaffProfile/JCole/Sorted_Sep02Cole.pdf

it isnt a research study, it is a review paper listing (basically) all the experimental flaws in many of the studies done to date.

it does not say ecstasy is harmless, it is suggesting that a lot of the previous studies have severe methodology problems and that some people are drawing conclusions for which the research evidence is really not there.

again: they arent saying its harmless. they are casting doubts on the evidence for substantial long-term brain damage with moderate doses.

like anything, you have to judge for yourself.

HOLY F!!! :eek: What are YOU doing over here :D

Ahem. my opinion on the subject, having studied neuropsychology, is that MODERATE use doesnt tend to cause long term effects or permanent damage. Excessive use, however, can cause permanent damage to the brain's ability to effectively produce and utilize seretonin.

Then again, who the hell knows. The brain is still largely a mystery to science.

Originally posted by LavenderMenace

HOLY F!!! :eek: What are YOU doing over here :D

eh sometimes i check up on what you people are doing from time to time. registered a long time ago but they didnt let me have my _ so that was annoying. i like my _.

this time i got baited into posting, thats all. dont worry i wont be here long

alright back to ignore.gif for me

Originally posted by unconnected

eh sometimes i check up on what you people are doing from time to time. registered a long time ago but they didnt let me have my _ so that was annoying. i like my _.

this time i got baited into posting, thats all. dont worry i wont be here long

alright back to ignore.gif for me

awe... I'm sorry about your _

I guess i'll have to settle for the occasional cameo ;)

What do you help with? You help people think of reasons to use drugs? What a service to society you provide. In all actuallity the reports that say "Ecstacy" isn't bad are talking about M.D.M.A. Unfortunately the "Ecstasy" that is available is rarely made up of that substance, it usually contains things like D.X.M or other susbtances that increase your heart rate and sometimes cause holusinating. These substances severly dehydrate the body and and that is what causes death. Oddly enough with D.X.M drinking too much water ios also fatal. (damn if you do, damned if you don't)

"because its bs... i searched and searched and there isnt any record of any of these events or ppl except on ecstacy sites and raver forums... kinda like that urban legend with that ceo of nintendo saying that pacman line..."

Then you don't know how to use a computer. I found this on www.djmag.com where there is all the truth you need. actually here is the exact site:

http://www.djmag.com/pages/whats_up.cgi?file=whats_up20020902dj.csv&topic=drugs&story=0

all the truth and facts i wanted to know about medicine and health from a dj msg board... wooo hoo.. whos the mod doogie howser??? i meant there is no dr.'s or tests documented anywhere except for where i said... ecstacy sites and raver forums... yah bananna... listen believe what you want... (maybe this is the Y2K version of natural selection... well lets hope)

(FYI if it was a real tested conducted or experiments performed it would be documented in medical journals and there would tons of info on it... not just on some random ass forum... where the bias is towards the legalization and promotion of drug abuse)