Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Meteor Shower Tonight!!!

HAZE

I've never seen a meteor shower, I'm gonna go outside tonight to try to see somethin'. They say it should be visible in our area from 11 PM to 6 AM.

THE LEONIDS won’t produce a dramatic shower again until at least 2033. The next time the annual event will perform as well as this year is likely to be 2098 or later, astronomers believe.

Robert Lunsford of the American Meteor Society figures that all adds up to 2002 being a must-see event.

“This may be the last opportunity for many of us to see a true meteor storm,†Lunsford told Space.com. “The Leonids of 2033 and 2066 are predicted to be weak in comparison to the displays of the last few years.â€

JUST GO OUT

Fortunately, there’s not much you need to do, other than to dress warmly. Most important, know when to go out.

Residents of the northeastern United States and Canada have a chance to see significant numbers of meteors from the first peak late Monday night, low on the eastern horizon. These so-called earthgrazers would be visible around 11 p.m. ET Monday evening, when the first outburst arrives (equal to 0400 GMT/UTC Tuesday). Europeans, who will be at center stage for this initial storm, should plan to get up early and be in position well before the predicted peak.

All interested North American viewers should plan mostly for the second peak, however, slated to occur around 5:30 a.m. ET (2:30 a.m. PT) Tuesday. Rates could pick up significantly, with sharp bursts of activity, at least an hour before the predicted peak.

Smart skywatchers will go out at least 30 minutes before the expected peak and stay at least 30 minutes later or until dawn. Die-hard meteor watchers will be out all morning.

Easterners will get the best view, weather permitting, but the show should be grand across the North American continent, astronomers say. Near peak times, expect six to 10 shooting stars per minute, possibly more, under dark skies. Rates will be lower in cities and bright suburbs.

Which brings up the other important preparation: Select a good location.

TURN OUT THE LIGHTS

Advertisement

The darker the viewing site the better. Get out of town if you can. Turn off porch lights. The moon is nearly full and will outshine many fainter meteors, so blocking it with a tree or tall building will prove helpful. (Check out additional viewing tips.)

“Even with the full moon, this year’s Leonids will probably be better than any other for the next hundred years,†said Don Yeomans, an astronomer at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. “If you’re ever going to see them, this might be the year to try.â€

Already, some early reports are rolling in. A Kansas observer, Bert Matous, reported to an amateur meteor observing website called Meteorobs that he’d spotted 11 faint Leonid meteors on Sunday morning.

Radio observers — not hampered by poor weather — reported the typical expected handful of Leonids and other meteors over the weekend. NASA scientists aboard an Air Force jet, observing the shower from above, reported spotting a bright fireball during a practice run Sunday morning over Europe.

Originally posted by mssabina

thanks for posting this... i've never seen a meteor shower before, i hope i can see it over here :)

No prob, I hope I can see it too. They say that the light from the moon could make them harder to see, so try to block the moon with your hand.