Tell your opnion about a dj using MP3's

Would it be ?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be ?

• A cheese
    • Does not make a diference as long is good
    • bad
    • Yes, something new should be fun to see it

Why should it matter? Good music is good music regardless of whether it comes on vinyl, cd, mp3, congo drum, etc. etc.

I plan to pick up a Final Scratch kit so I can take that and my laptop with me in addition to my records when I have a gig. Better to carry a laptop w/ 5000 tracks stored than trying to haul 5000 vinyls.:eek:

Originally posted by brooklynkid

Why should it matter? Good music is good music regardless of whether it comes on vinyl, cd, mp3, congo drum, etc. etc.

I plan to pick up a Final Scratch kit so I can take that and my laptop with me in addition to my records when I have a gig. Better to carry a laptop w/ 5000 tracks stored than trying to haul 5000 vinyls.:eek:

I though so also , i never heard of final scratch till now, but i use atomix every now and then and my mixes come out perfec...

Where can i find final scratch?

Originally posted by djfabioc

I though so also , i never heard of final scratch till now, but i use atomix every now and then and my mixes come out perfec...

Where can i find final scratch?

Final Scratch is a hardware/software solution and can be found at http://www.finalscratch.com/ . It goes for about $499 in stores.

If you want software only, I like to use Visiosonic PCDJ Red.

Fun stuff:D

Originally posted by brooklynkid

I'm considering going to buy Final Scratch...

....hey why NoT? ;)

Originally posted by silverbull

VINYL BABY. Its easier with cds, and mp3s. VINYL is technique.

what a load of horseshit. its easier with VINYL! that's why most people use it.....the control you have with vinyl cannot be matched by any of these other technologies (except for final scratch, why duh, is controlled by a vinyl record)

well, i think its great to use other mediums to supplement a set... although i think vinyl should be at the root of it all...

then again... turntablism seems like a dying art in the mainstream, so what difference does it make at this point...

Originally posted by dr0ne

what a load of horseshit. its easier with VINYL! that's why most people use it.....the control you have with vinyl cannot be matched by any of these other technologies (except for final scratch, why duh, is controlled by a vinyl record)

Easier? Not at all

You just have the flexibility to do so much more on vinyl than other means.....thats why most djs use wax instead of CDs still. Advantages that come with CDs and mp3s are mainly convenience issues.

Guest distort909

the diffrence is in sound i believe also i think hands on is better...........

wax rocks...............& final scratch is cool...but to only use cd's & mp3's...........your being cheeted in my opinion

Originally posted by djjonstephen

Easier? Not at all

You just have the flexibility to do so much more on vinyl than other means.....thats why most djs use wax instead of CDs still. Advantages that come with CDs and mp3s are mainly convenience issues.

flexibility in terms of control over time.....there's nothing magical about mixing two beats together (sorry guys) it's just having the beats with the tempos as close as possible and in the closest possible phase. that's something that you can do a lot easier by manipulating vinyl than by using that jog/shuttle crap on the CD player....a good dj w/ vinyl can be precise within a tenth of a second. try that with a cd player.

i think down the road....the new generation of dj's will all use final scratch.....its all about the music....tenaglia spins almost all cd's and he still rocks the party out.....i agree is a lot more fun to see someone spin vinyl....but cost structure and convienence will eventually put it to its death.....

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

well that depends - do you mean a DJ spinning mostly or entirely off MP3's, or just using some?

mostly mp'3's using a laptop or a computer no tables at all

no headset either just judging the song by how u know you know it...

Originally posted by Randy

is watching someone touch a spinnign disk all that fascinating? I much prefer to see bodies moving

I will concur with you on seeing bodies move & groove.

However, the art of "spinning" is lost on you if you don't know or understand the mechanics and creativity involved in not only seamlessly mixing two tracks, but two tracks that flow effortlessly and at the right moment to get people's bodies to respond.

I was actually just looking into final scratch before I saw this thread. I was wondering if anyone here has actually used it. I wonder just how close to the real thing it really is.

I think it sounds like an awesome idea. I don't think that I would want to use it all the time because I can see it taking some of the hands on fun out of DJing, although its also a huge convenience and money saver. I was planning on getting a CD mixer, but...Final Scratch may be a better way to go.

The one drawback it has is that is doesn't give you an extra input source like a CD player. That extra input allows you to drop accapellas while cueing a second record. I like that.

In any case, I would love to try final scratch out and see what I can do with it.

I laughed when I first saw people dj'ing a party with mp3's (I believe with Virtual TurnTable), but I think things have changed since then.

IMHO, if

1. the music was obtained legally

2. the sound quality is as good as it is on vinyl or CD

3. if you can do all the things you can do with vinyl

4. the DJ has the skills to use them

then it's all good

I love my vinyl, but with mp3's

1. you could get music right away without leaving home

2. there's no (or less) hauling of those heavy boxes or crates

3. with less space and weight, you can bring more tunes with you

4. your storage space doesn't fill up as quickly, and you don't have to worry as much about what to do when you move

5. if you have tunes that you regret getting, or get promos that are absolute crap, you can more easily get rid of them

6. if you're a traveling DJ, you can listen to your stuff while you're on the road

7. don't have to deal with licking the cartridge contacts, or tonearm balance, or anti-skate

With stuff like Memory Stick, we might someday see the "decks" get smaller, lighter, and more portable. Good if you do mobile, or just want to use your own setup at a gig.

There are still some issues with using mp3's, but I'm sure they'll be taken care of.

For anyone who has DJ'ed with a laptop, has the comp ever crashed on you during a gig?

Maybe another downside is that you can't throw stuff out to the crowd like Armin, Tiesto, and PVD have done. :P

Well, maybe you can throw a CD-R or memory stick (someday) full of songs, if you've made a backup for your next gig.

OK if it's using only or mostly MP3's, I think I'd have to say I'm not so cool with that. When you think of a DJ, what do you think of? Turntables, records, mixer... not computer... I'm all for mixing up types of media, especially for those tracks you can't get any other way, but I really don't think I can approve of an entire or nearly entire set being done on a computer.

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

OK if it's using only or mostly MP3's, I think I'd have to say I'm not so cool with that. When you think of a DJ, what do you think of? Turntables, records, mixer... not computer... I'm all for mixing up types of media, especially for those tracks you can't get any other way, but I really don't think I can approve of an entire or nearly entire set being done on a computer.

Final Scratch uses 2 regular turntables and some special records. It supposedly allows you to cue and mix just like vinyl.