Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NY Smoking Ban, when does it Start?

i heard march as well... however this cock suckin mother fucker of a mayor which i foolishly voted for... decided that cigar smoking doesnt fall into this ban... inst that convenient??? just because guilliani, himself and their cronies all suck on those paper dicks, they didnt ban those.. .nice... nice .. nice.. you faggot prick...

btw i dont smoke... just hate this bullshit... next we'll have last call at 2am and no longer be the city that never sleeps... or who knows... whats next... fuckin assholes... boo this man... booooo this man!!!

Originally posted by dgmodel

i heard march as well... however this cock suckin mother fucker of a mayor which i foolishly voted for... decided that cigar smoking doesnt fall into this ban... inst that convenient??? just because guilliani, himself and their cronies all suck on those paper dicks, they didnt ban those.. .nice... nice .. nice.. you faggot prick...

btw i dont smoke... just hate this bullshit... next we'll have last call at 2am and no longer be the city that never sleeps... or who knows... whats next... fuckin assholes... boo this man... booooo this man!!!

Well said. Even including the Boo's. I mean most cigars smell downright nasty. And emit more smoke than a cigarette. I don't get why a cigar would be legal and a cigarette illegal.

Oh and I voted for this stupid fucking prick as well. Boo on me!!!

New York Passes Tough Anti-Smoking Law

Wed December 18, 2002 06:15 PM ET

By Martha Graybow

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New Yorkers, say goodbye to the smoke-filled saloon.

The City Council on Wednesday overwhelmingly passed one of the country's toughest anti-smoking bills, outlawing smoking in virtually all workplaces, including bars, nightclubs and restaurants. The most populous U.S. city would join California and Delaware in adopting sweeping curbs on smoking in public.

"This is an important protection for employees and a quality of life improvement for all New Yorkers," City Council Speaker Gifford Miller said.

The bill will become law 90 days after it is signed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg, an ex-smoker who over the summer proposed tightening the city's smoking ban.

The measure will expand a 1995 city law that banned lighting up in restaurants with more than 35 seats. It offers only a few concessions to businesses, despite complaints that the new restrictions will drive away customers.

"It's a disgrace that they voted against our businesses and against our families," said Ciaran Staunton, owner of O'Neill's, a midtown Manhattan restaurant and bar.

Passage was widely expected after Bloomberg and the council leadership reached a compromise last week.

Exceptions include allowing smoking in portions of outdoor cafes, rooftop restaurants and some private clubs without employees. A handful of existing cigar bars will be allowed to continue to permit smoking. Existing bars may also build ventilated "smoking" rooms.

"It would have been better to pass a total ban than what they wound up with," said Chuck Hunt, executive vice president of the New York State Restaurant Association, which represents about 2,500 city restaurants. "Any exception creates an unlevel playing field."

The council said the bill was aimed at protecting employees in every workplace from being exposed to cigarette smoke on the job.

A spokesman for Philip Morris USA, the domestic tobacco division of Philip Morris Cos. Inc., said the company opposed the measure and would have to study how it would affect smoking policies at its Manhattan offices. The company's offices have designated smoking and non-smoking areas.

"We'll take a look at our own office situation and determine what changes need to be made to bring our particular building into compliance," spokesman Brendan McCormick said.

In another move to improve "quality of life," the council passed a bill to curb cellular phone use during movies, plays and other public performances, excluding sporting events.

The legislation is believed to be the first in the country to ban talking on mobile phones or using the audible ringer on the devices while a performance is under way. The mayor's office has said the bill appears unenforceable, and that there is a chance Bloomberg will veto it.

Thanks guys, I recently quit smoking, but I still have one or two when I go out. I can't imagine being in a club or bar and not smelling smoke. I wonder what clubs will do now to accomidate smoking.

At least our clothes won't smell as bad after a night of clubbin'.

now theyll smell worse... like burps, farts, vomit, sweat... etc... remember when ppl smoked on planes??? not a scent was to be smelled except for the smoke... now theres no smoking on planes... what you have tons of B.O. and farts, and all types of shit you shouldnt have to smell for hours on end...

now theyll smell worse... like burps, farts, vomit, sweat... etc... remember when ppl smoked on planes??? not a scent was to be smelled except for the smoke... now theres no smoking on planes... what you have tons of B.O. and farts, and all types of shit you shouldnt have to smell for hours on end...

that is the most absurd reasoning in support of smoking. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by darrellg

At least our clothes won't smell as bad after a night of clubbin'.

Don't forget our hair.. ughh.. I smoke cigarettes still but only when I driving in the car.. and I came home from the club last week without smoking any cigarettes at all cause someone else was driving their car and I reeked of smoke. I was like: what the hell, I didn't even smoke any cigs tonite.

It will be interesting to see how nightclubs are going to handle this situation. I just hope that some of our favorite venues won't get shut down by the city because they can't comply to a law as stupid as this. I really don't think that this law is going to be around for long.

i use to smoke a lot & then quit here & there & when i would go out to s club i would have maybe 2 if that..now, my new year's resolution was to quite & even though it's only 3 days i am stickin to it..i have to agree wit the clothes & hair reakin of smoke.

the sad thing, is when i go to shower sat. afternoon after a long ass nite of partyin, i smell all the smoke in my hair cuz of the steam & even when i shampoo it, it still smells..i do feel really bad for those that smoke becasuse i use to & i know how bad you want that cigarette when u are wasted or on sumin else..i don't think that this is the rite thing to do so let's just see how long they can keep this up for

OMG LMAO.. I just fell off my chair LMAO..

Seriously....what are clubs going to do if they catch someone smoking kick them out ??? This whole fucking thing is rediculous!!!! & nobody is going to listen to this law....Either lots of places are going to shut down because they are not going to abide by the rules.....or they are going to lose business & FAST....I don't think there is going to be one smoker wether it be a chain smoker...social smoker or drunken smoker that is going to want to sit at a bar or go to a club where they can't light up a cigarette after a drink...it's not like if your in the middle of Factory,Exit or wherever & you can just step outside for a quick smoke....This asshole is going to regret doing this

I am sure, if cops walk in and smell smoke, the clubs will get FINED mucho $$$$, just like they would if they sell cigarettes to minors..

Originally posted by sweetie029

Seriously....what are clubs going to do if they catch someone smoking kick them out ??? This whole fucking thing is rediculous!!!! & nobody is going to listen to this law....Either lots of places are going to shut down because they are not going to abide by the rules.....or they are going to lose business & FAST....I don't think there is going to be one smoker wether it be a chain smoker...social smoker or drunken smoker that is going to want to sit at a bar or go to a club where they can't light up a cigarette after a drink...it's not like if your in the middle of Factory,Exit or wherever & you can just step outside for a quick smoke....This asshole is going to regret doing this