Clubplanet Nightlife Community

To drive or not to drive

Would it be any helpful to have a rental car during the WMC? Or would it be more of a hassle, like with traffic and parking?

I'm debating between whether to do that + keep the cheap downtown hotel reservation I have, or go for a more expensive SoBe hotel and walk or cab around (i.e. not rent a car). Actually, it seems at this point that the only non-mainland hotels that I've found, and are in my price range, are outside SoBe, the nearest of which is just past the end of Washington Ave.

I'm also thinking that the treks between downtown (Space and Ultra) and SoBe might be a factor to consider.

we've always rented a car every year weve gone to wmc (past 5yrs). its both convient and a hassle at the same time. with a car, youre not just stuck on south beach, you can go "explore" miami if you want. we took rides downtown and up to bal harbour and out to coral gables. driving around south beach esp. around collins/ocean/washington is a complete mess at night though. itll take you forever to get around let alone actually find parking.

it really just depends on what youre planning to do during wmc. if youre gonna sleep all day and just party at night, id say stay on sobe. if youre actually going to be coherant :tongue: during the day and wanna go look around miami, id rent a car. ALTHOUGH... its really late to be looking for a room on south beach now since most of the good ones are taken and the lower quality hotels will probably charge you an arm and a leg b/c they know ppl are desperate.

Hey thanks all

Wow, I tried Priceline this morning and got a room on Ocean Drive!

Does anyone know about the Starlite? It's probably a crappy place, but I think that's ok. After all, if I can help it, I'm not gonna sleep much there.

I'm curious - does the 12% tax rate apply to downtown hotels as well?

I only rented a car once when staying at SoBE and didn't know The parking was all metered so bring lots of quarters! That is, if you even FIND parking with this conference going on.

Some hotels offer limited parking for their guests on a daily rate so call and ask and reserve early!

Originally posted by wallflour

Hey thanks all

Wow, I tried Priceline this morning and got a room on Ocean Drive!

Does anyone know about the Starlite? It's probably a crappy place, but I think that's ok. After all, if I can help it, I'm not gonna sleep much there.

I'm curious - does the 12% tax rate apply to downtown hotels as well?

i think the 12% hotel tax is for the entire city, if not the state

don't rent a car!

it's not worth it... then you'll be sitting in it trying to find a parking spot for days.

taxi rides are economically comparable to those in manhattan.

geograhically speaking, south beach is actually about the same size as manhattan: 200 streets long -- 12 avenues wide.

although most of the happenings are between 1st and 23rd.

pEAce!

Don't bother driving. Last year I was fortunate enough to have a business permit for my car, so I pretty much just left my car behind a club for 5 days. But for the general populace, parking is a nightmare. Best bet, save your money for other things. Miami in general is OK at best...if you want to go to Coral Gables and Aventura, there's perfectly acceptable buses and a train.

Example: To get to Coral Gables (main area) from the beach:

Take a westbound C,K, or S bus from 5th and Alton to Government Center, take the Metrorail to Douglas Station, grab the 42 bus to CG

Aventura's even easier, just take an northeast bound K bus from Washington Ave

Downtown: there's like six buses going from the beach to downtown, including a Night Owl which runs all night...drops you off 2 blocks from Space...well three when the new building opens.