Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My thoughts on Vinyl and/or Cds

Not that it matters but heres how I see it:

With the vast increase in technology in todays world it is only natural that a DJ starting out today will undoubtable learn on cd's and an older skool DJ will be skilled with vinyl but conform to technology and learn Cd's. Isn't this the way of the world?

I mean back in the 80s and early 90s Vinyl was it! When I think of Vinyl I think of my friend makin me tapes off his two techniques kickin "Body Mechanic" into "play at your own risk"...........Or Chicagos w/Franco Ionello or The Hop in Totowa and TKA performing live...........

But today things are different and to be able to do both is great, but technology has shown us that all things change...............and older is not necessarily better................and vice versa. So whats all the drama on DJs who use CD's.....................so what! Do you think Id rather do a tax return by hand or on a computer. I learned on a computer, my father learned by hand and was one of the first among his friends to jump on the computer kick when it started and tax programs came out. Its the way things are. And he would never want to go back to doing a tax return by hand. Maybe thats not the best example but it does relate..........

So stop all the bullshit and enjoy just going out.............

its not where your playing it from --- its what your paying and how you put it together. personally ...... i'll take a cd over vinyl and day of the week. if i had to carry all that vinyl every time i spin .. i would be miserable (not that i spin somewhere every week). but when i do work at a venue ...... i have my cd book and a half a bag of vinyl and my headphones. thats it !!!!

so to all the vinyl whores out there .... i have to say more power to you! if thats your thing then do it...... but a least have one or two bag bitches to carry them around for you !!!!!;)

Originally posted by ADV

The problem is most of the guys playing all CDs are downloading the music. Which means they are stealing it and not supporting the people that make it.

but if you could buy it in the stores (when the track is realy not --- not when its not) ----- i would totally support the artists. i still buy alot of vinyl between my record pools and record shops. i just burn it to disk as soon as i get it !

Originally posted by ADV

The problem is most of the guys playing all CDs are downloading the music. Which means they are stealing it and not supporting the people that make it.

I hear what you're saying but again isnt that technologies fault and also the way of our world? Everyones always trying to get something for free! Its hard to police that shit and until they figure a way, its gonna happen unfortunately.

Originally posted by stiffler

I hear what you're saying but again isnt that technologies fault and also the way of our world? Everyones always trying to get something for free! Its hard to police that shit and until they figure a way, its gonna happen unfortunately.

I totally agree. I'm just saying I think alot of guys(not all) that play off CD don't buy the music. They download it and it not right. There are guys that spend tons of money on Vinyl and I'm sure it bothers them. They really need to do something soon. If things keep going this way there will be nomore dance music.

Originally posted by ADV

I totally agree. I'm just saying I think alot of guys(not all) that play off CD don't buy the music. They download it and it not right. There are guys that spend tons of money on Vinyl and I'm sure it bothers them. They really need to do something soon. If things keep going this way there will be nomore dance music.

yup totally agree... i dont even DJ and i buy vinyl.. not as much as i would like to but i dont have all that much money.. but djs that play cds dont get ripped for playin cds and not vinyl because its easier or whatever.. but because like ADV said its most likely not paid for.. djs will can get by spinnin cds burned with mp3 rips but i will tell u this.. they wont go too far

Originally posted by ADV

Wow, what you just said actually made me understand the gripe a little better(in accounting terms) A dj spinnin Vinyl making the same per gig as a dj spinnin cd's is actually net'n less!!!Hmmmm, I can see the point...............but thats about it. It still doesnt make a dj better or worse............imo

I'll take CD over vinyl anyday, and i learned on vinyl. Sure there are guys downloading and burning MP3's, but to stay ahead, or even just up to date, you have to buy music. Most tracks dont show up online for a few weeks after they are released. I personally buy vinyl and burn it to disc. I'm old (not as old as stiffler!), and i dont feel like breaking my back lugging around crates of vinyl. It also give you the ability to make edits to suit the venue your in. Not all venues can handle a long break.

Originally posted by ADV

ADV,

The problem is that these "kids" dont understand the harm they are causing to the very industry that they live "in and for" and they will never know the damage they have caused until we do not have "MUSIC" to enjoy anymore. And that day is coming if this keeps up. None of you have seen the worst of it yet.

Originally posted by indyguy

ADV,

The problem is that these "kids" dont understand the harm they are causing to the very industry that they live "in and for" and they will never know the damage they have caused until we do not have "MUSIC" to enjoy anymore. And that day is coming if this keeps up. None of you have seen the worst of it yet.

:hat: :hat:

First off nothing sounds beter than vinyl on a big system. Thats just fact. Secondly all the mp3 whores out therewho download there music and play off cd's are killing the industry. And thirdly yes i is afact that using cd's is easier than spinning vinyl. Its alot easier to hit a + or - button than it is to actually sloworspeed up record with you hand. Im not gonna bullshit anyone i do also use cd's when i dj but mostly only to playstuff that has not yecome out on vinyl.

ADV,

this is where Loue DeVito saves the day. He may be a fugaze, and he may be commercial, but those compilations, as well as all the others, (Riddler, even Hex Hector has one) is what is going to save the industry. I'm the furthest thing from a DeVito fan, but the compiltions are needed. Now, to go off topic, does a fugaze DJ desreve thousands of $$$ for a set? in my opinion, NO.

JoeGio, keep bangin those CD's, it sounds GREAT.

ADV,

That day will never come...............there won't be a prohibiton on music..........but I do understand what you are saying.......There are plenty of ways to make money and when one thing changes another arises. And if the day does come, I am quite sure it will be long past our years and by then music will be listened to telepathicly:laugh:

Originally posted by coogs78

First off nothing sounds beter than vinyl on a big system. Thats just fact. Secondly all the mp3 whores out therewho download there music and play off cd's are killing the industry. And thirdly yes i is afact that using cd's is easier than spinning vinyl. Its alot easier to hit a + or - button than it is to actually sloworspeed up record with you hand. Im not gonna bullshit anyone i do also use cd's when i dj but mostly only to playstuff that has not yecome out on vinyl.

This is not about who spins vinyl or CD. The fact that everyone wants to play the "unreleased " record first hurts the label/artist/producer/and anyone else involved with the project unless you can go back to the record store and "purchase" the vinyl or CD single later to support the industry OR (here's and idea) educate yourself on the other 5 or so remixes that may not be available as a download.