Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dropping like flies (Exit & Sound Factory)

tinybutterfli

Not my favorite places in the world but...

PRESS RELEASE

> NO.

> 2003-011

> Friday, February 7, 2003

>

>

> NEW YORK CITY POLICE COMMISSIONER RAYMOND W. KELLY AND SPECIAL NARCOTICS PROSECUTOR BRIDGET G. BRENNAN ANNOUNCE CLOSURE OF TWO NIGHTCLUBS IN MANHATTAN ON CHARGES OF ONGOING ILLEGAL "DESIGNER" DRUG ACTIVITIES

>

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly and Special Narcotics Prosecutor Bridget G. Brennan today announced the closure of two large nightclubs in Manhattan on charges of ongoing illegal drug activities. The Sound Factory, at 616-620 West 46th Street, and Exit, at 610 West 56th Street, were closed on Friday, February 7, by order of the New York State Supreme Court. These closing orders are subject to modification by the court.

>

> "The New York City Police Department is combatting the illegal narcotics trade everywhere in our city – not only in the streets, but also in nightclubs," said Commissioner Kelly. "Our detectives did a terrific job throughout this investigation. Thanks to their hard work, we are sending a clear message to nightclub owners: If you allow illegal drugs to saturate your business and endanger your patrons, we'll shut you down."

>

> Special Narcotics Prosecutor Brennan said: "Most of those we are prosecuting are college students who seemed to have no preciation of the legal consequences to themselves or the harm that their distribution of the drugs brought to their customers. The special treatment they received in the exclusive areas of the clubs enhanced their sense that they could conduct criminal business with impunity."

>

> Both nightclubs have been the scene of numerous narcotics crimes, usually involving illegal "designer" drugs, such as Ecstasy (methylenedioxy methamphetamine or MDMA) and Special K (ketamine). In Exit, undercover detectives not only purchased drugs easily, they also observed many club patrons using them in the open. In other incidents, detectives purchased benign substances that the sellers claimed were illegal drugs, a common ploy used by narcotics dealers to defraud naive drug buyers.

>

> The nightclub was previously the subject of a nuisance abatement action, in September 2000. After extensive negotiations with the club owners at that time, Exit was allowed to operate after club management agreed to institute numerous anti-drug policies, including hiring an independent private-sector inspector general, or IPSIG, to monitor and report on club activities. The IPSIG agreement covered a nine-month period, from October 2001 to June 2002.

>

> At the Sound Factory, the larger nightclub with a capacity of more than 1,400 people, undercover detectives purchased Ecstasy, Special K, methamphetamine, cocaine and marijuana. During the investigation, drug use by patrons was clearly in the open. In fact, on Jan. 26, 2003, a 19-year-old woman overdosed and was removed from the club in an unconscious state. The Sound Factory was also temporarily closed by

nuisance abatement order on April 30, 1999.

>

> This investigation was initiated by the Narcotics Division of the New York City Police Department and the investigation was assisted

> by the office of the Special Narcotics prosecutor and the NYPD's Civil Enforcement Unit. The Civil Enforcement Unit secured nuisance abatement closing orders against 649 locations across the city in 2002, for charges including illegal narcotics, gambling, ostitution, auto crime, stolen property, alcohol beverage control law, and trademark infringement offenses.

>

> Eleven defendants are being prosecuted for drug sales inside the clubs by the Office of the Special Narcotics Prosecutor.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by tinybutterfli

Not my favorite places in the world but...

PRESS RELEASE

> NO.

> 2003-011

> Friday, February 7, 2003

>

>

> NEW YORK CITY POLICE COMMISSIONER RAYMOND W. KELLY AND SPECIAL NARCOTICS PROSECUTOR BRIDGET G. BRENNAN ANNOUNCE CLOSURE OF TWO NIGHTCLUBS IN MANHATTAN ON CHARGES OF ONGOING ILLEGAL "DESIGNER" DRUG ACTIVITIES

>

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly and Special Narcotics Prosecutor Bridget G. Brennan today announced the closure of two large nightclubs in Manhattan on charges of ongoing illegal drug activities. The Sound Factory, at 616-620 West 46th Street, and Exit, at 610 West 56th Street, were closed on Friday, February 7, by order of the New York State Supreme Court. These closing orders are subject to modification by the court.

>

> "The New York City Police Department is combatting the illegal narcotics trade everywhere in our city – not only in the streets, but also in nightclubs," said Commissioner Kelly. "Our detectives did a terrific job throughout this investigation. Thanks to their hard work, we are sending a clear message to nightclub owners: If you allow illegal drugs to saturate your business and endanger your patrons, we'll shut you down."

>

> Special Narcotics Prosecutor Brennan said: "Most of those we are prosecuting are college students who seemed to have no preciation of the legal consequences to themselves or the harm that their distribution of the drugs brought to their customers. The special treatment they received in the exclusive areas of the clubs enhanced their sense that they could conduct criminal business with impunity."

>

> Both nightclubs have been the scene of numerous narcotics crimes, usually involving illegal "designer" drugs, such as Ecstasy (methylenedioxy methamphetamine or MDMA) and Special K (ketamine). In Exit, undercover detectives not only purchased drugs easily, they also observed many club patrons using them in the open. In other incidents, detectives purchased benign substances that the sellers claimed were illegal drugs, a common ploy used by narcotics dealers to defraud naive drug buyers.

>

> The nightclub was previously the subject of a nuisance abatement action, in September 2000. After extensive negotiations with the club owners at that time, Exit was allowed to operate after club management agreed to institute numerous anti-drug policies, including hiring an independent private-sector inspector general, or IPSIG, to monitor and report on club activities. The IPSIG agreement covered a nine-month period, from October 2001 to June 2002.

>

> At the Sound Factory, the larger nightclub with a capacity of more than 1,400 people, undercover detectives purchased Ecstasy, Special K, methamphetamine, cocaine and marijuana. During the investigation, drug use by patrons was clearly in the open. In fact, on Jan. 26, 2003, a 19-year-old woman overdosed and was removed from the club in an unconscious state. The Sound Factory was also temporarily closed by

nuisance abatement order on April 30, 1999.

>

> This investigation was initiated by the Narcotics Division of the New York City Police Department and the investigation was assisted

> by the office of the Special Narcotics prosecutor and the NYPD's Civil Enforcement Unit. The Civil Enforcement Unit secured nuisance abatement closing orders against 649 locations across the city in 2002, for charges including illegal narcotics, gambling, ostitution, auto crime, stolen property, alcohol beverage control law, and trademark infringement offenses.

>

> Eleven defendants are being prosecuted for drug sales inside the clubs by the Office of the Special Narcotics Prosecutor.

WHAT THE FUCK!!! I NEVER EVEN GOT TO GOTO EITHER OF THEM. FUCKIN SILLY GOVERNMENT AND PO PO LE LE.

At the Sound Factory, the larger nightclub with a capacity of more than 1,400 people,

I know this isn't the point of the press release but I thought Exit's capacity was at least 3,000? That place is HUGE! I know they continuously packed it beyond capacity but I thought legally it held more people than that!

Funny how we were talking about this on Saturday morning, huh Vic?

Exit's capacity is like 5,000 I think..

I used to be an SF addict.. Hate Exit but still don't want to see it shut down, just because that will make other clubs more vulnerable to shutting down.. This sucks so bad, but I hope they are able to bring those clubs back.. Although it's just a matter of time now :(

Originally posted by nourishment

You realize that if guido clubs are shut down, they'll have to go somewhere. Non-guido clubs will undoubtly be infiltrated. No ass will be safe from the grab 'n grind.

as long as i'm doing the grabbing and not getting grabbed (unless its by hot chicks) then i'm fine with that :D

Well I would assume Arc will be ok - seeing as how they don't serve alcohol and let glowsticks and lights into the joint - three major guido draws..... however..... Centro could get slammed and Roxy is going to be SICK for PvD now........

Perhaps they should open a joint up in NJ - so all those damn guidos can stay there!!! :mad:

Originally posted by sauvee88

Well I would assume Arc will be ok - seeing as how they don't serve alcohol and let glowsticks and lights into the joint - three major guido draws..... however..... Centro could get slammed and Roxy is going to be SICK for PvD now........

Perhaps they should open a joint up in NJ - so all those damn guidos can stay there!!! :mad:

i really dont think they need alcohol, they've got other stuff.

I saw this on EZDreamer:

Danny Tenaglia on DTOURISIM

DEAR FRIENDS OF THE NIGHTLIFE,

I AM WRITING THIS POST HERE ON THIS SUNDAY AFTERNOON TO MAKE AN IMPORTANT STATEMENT ABOUT TWO SEPARATE ISSSUES. FORGIVE ME FOR WRITING IN ALL CAPS, BUT (A) IT'S JUST EASIER AND (B), IT'S WRITTEN IN BOLD FOR A REASON.

ISSUE # 1.

WHETHER YOU BELIEVE ME OR NOT, I PERSONALLY WAS VERY SADDENED TO HEAR ABOUT THE SHUT DOWNS OF THE SF & EXIT. I TRULY DO HOPE THIS SITUATION ONLY LAST THIS ONE WEEKEND AND THEY WILL WORK IT OUT WITH THEIR LAWYERS AS THEY USUALLY DO, AND BOTH WILL BE RE-OPENED NEXT WEEK. I DON'T KNOW ALL THE FACTS EXCEPT FOR WHAT I RECEIVED IN ONE E-MAIL THAT SOMEONE FORWARDED TO ME FROM THE NEWS.

ANYHOW, I FEEL AND MADE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT AT MY PARTY THIS PAST FRIDAY AT VINYL. I SAID SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF: "IT'S SAD ENOUGH WHAT WE ARE LIVING THROUGH WITH THE CRISIS THAT OUR PLANET IS IN WITH TERRORISM AND THE THREAT OF WAR, AND THAT THIS WEEK OUR COUNTRY WAS WARNED TO BE ON "HIGH ALERT." I MADE IT VERY CLEAR THAT I WAS NOT HAPPY TO HEAR THE NEWS ABOUT SF & EXIT AND WARNED THE PEOPLE IN ATTENDANCE THAT OUR NYC NIGHTLIFE APPEARS TO BE IN SEVERE "HIGH" ALERT!

I BEGGED EVERYONE TO PLEASE STOP MISBEHAVING AND POSSIBLY RUINING SUCH A GREAT THING WE HAVE IN THIS CITY BY SADLY ABUSING DRUGS WHETHER AT HOME OR ESPECIALLY IN PUBLIC AND PUTTING ALL OF US AT RISK OF LOSING WHAT WE LOVE THE MOST, THE MUSIC & DANCING, AND TO US CLUB EMPLOYEES, "OUR LIVELIHOODS!"

NYC NEEDS THESE CLUBS TO BE RE-OPENED BECAUSE OF OVER POPULATION. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THE SF ALREADY DOES GREAT IN THEIR ATTENDANCE, ESPECIALLY ON SATURDAY'S AND EVEN AS BIG AS EXIT IS, I HEAR THEY ALSO DO VERY WELL EVERY WEEK CONSIDERING HOW MASSIVE THE VENUE IS. IT'S SAD ENOUGH THAT THERE IS NO MORE TWILO OR TUNNEL, AND I HEAR EVEN LIMELIGHT AND CENTRO FLY HAVE BEEN AFFECTED IN NUMBERS OF ATTENDANCE LATELY. PS: SO HAVE WE...

AFTER THE HOLIDAY'S, IT APPEARS THAT ALL CLUBS AND BUSINESS'S TAKE A DIP AND PRAY THAT THINGS WILL QUICKLY INCREASE AGAIN. (WHICH THEY APPEAR TO BE, THANK GOD.)

MY MAIN POINT HERE IS THAT WE NEED THESE CLUBS OPENED OR ELSE EVERYONE WILL TRY TO JAM INTO ANY NIGHTCLUB THAT IS OPENED AND THEN THAT VENUE WILL OBVIOUSLY BE THE NEXT TARGET, AND THE MORE PEOPLE IN ATTENDANCE, THE MORE LIKELY THERE ARE TO BE THOSE FEW ASSHOLES WHO WILL RUIN IT FOR 1000'S OF US. SO, I "DANNY TENAGLIA" WHO AM NOT SHY AND HAVE NO PROBLEM GETTING ON THE MICROPHONE AND TELLING THE PEOPLE EXACTLY HOW I FEEL! I WILL SAY IT AT MY PARTIES, I WILL WRITE IT ON MESSAGE BOARDS LIKE THIS ONE HERE, ETC. ALTHOUGH I KNOW ALL CLUBS DO SEARCHES, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO CHECK PEOPLES PRIVATE AREA'S WHERE THEY HIDE THE NONSENSE. SO, I, AM EVERYONE HERE JUST LIKE I DID AT MY PARTY TO PLEASE HELP US SAVE THE PARTIES BY IMMEDIATELY AND ANONYMOUSLY GET THE ATTENTION OF A SECURITY GUARD OR CLUB MANAGER AND POINT OUT THE PERSON YOU JUST WITNESSED SELLING OR BLATANTLY DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL LIKE POPPING A PILL OR SNORTING POWDERS, OR DOING THE WORST OF ALL "GHB." YOU ARE NOT BEING A RAT BY DOING THIS, YOU ARE SAVING OUR PARTIES AND OUR JOBS!

I KNOW THAT SOME OF YOU READING THIS MIGHT EVEN BE SOME PEOPLE WHO ENJOY RECREATIONAL PARTYING EVERY NOW & THEN, SO I GUESS I AM BEGGING YOU MORE THAN ANYONE TO PLEASE REALIZE THE THREAT WE ARE IN RIGHT NOW IN 2003 HERE IN NYC CLUBLAND! PLEASE HELP SAVE OUR NIGHTLIFE.

JUST THINK HOW MISERABLE WE WOULD ALL BE IF THIS CITY WAS LIKE BOSTON AND PHILLY WHERE ALL THE NIGHTCLUBS HAD TO BE CLOSED BY 2AM!!!?? HOW HORRIFIC WOULD THIS BE? NO ONE WOULD EVEN BOTHER GOING OUT AT ALL. SO ONCE AGAIN, I BEG YOU ALL TO TAKE PART IN BEING A PART OF THE SOLUTION AND CONTINUE TO POST SUGGESTIONS THAT MIGHT HELP US CLUB EMPLOYEES AND MANAGEMENT KEEP THOSE UNDESIRABLE AND EVIL PEOPLE WHO JUST MIGHT RUIN IT FOR "ALL OF US" OUT OF "OUR" PARTIES. "P L E A S E"!

--------------------------------->

ISSUE # 2.

I WANT TO MAKE THIS VERY CLEAR. THERE IS SOME CONFUSION THAT I NEED TO CLEAR UP ABOUT SOME LOFT PARTIES IN BROOKLYN AND MY NEW PERSONAL LOFT IN QUEENS.

THERE WAS A POST ADVERTISING A PARTY LAST NIGHT THAT WAS SOMETHING LIKE :EMERGENCY LOFT PARTY"!

BASICALLY, IT WAS A PARTY TO GET THE ATTENTION OF THE PEOPLE WHO WOULD NORMALLY GO TO THE SF OR EXIT AND DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE DOORS BEING CLOSED AND WOULD HOPEFULLY BE ENTICED TO GOING TO ANOTHER PARTY INSTEAD.

THAT'S FINE AND ALL, BUT I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THESE BROOKLYN LOFT PARTIES AT ALL! NADA!

I WAS HAPPILY IN BED ALL NIGHT WITH MY REMOTE AND PILLOWS. LAST YEAR THEY DID HOLD A SURPRISE BIRTHDAY PARTY FOR ME THERE AND THAT IS WHERE THE CONFUSION COMES IN. MANY OF YOU PEOPLE NOW KNOW THAT I RENTED MY OWN LOFT IN LIC AND PURCHASED THE ORIGINAL SHELTER/BODY & SOUL/VINYL SOUND SYSTEM.

WELL, THIS LOFT THAT I RENTED IS NOT FOR PARTIES!!!

THIS LOFT IS AN EXTENSION OF MY HOME AND IT IS WHERE I WILL WORK AND REVIEW MY MUSIC AND HAVE FUN DOING IT.

I WILL NOT PUT MY OWN PERSONAL LOFT IN JEOPARDY!

AS I CONSIDER THIS LOFT TO BE AN EXTENSION TO MY HOME, NOT ONLY WILL THERE NEVER BE A CIGARETTE SMOKED IN MY LOFT, NOR WILL THERE EVER BE ANY ALCOHOL BEVERAGES OR NEVER A PERSON "I DO NOT KNOW PERSONALLY" IN MY LOFT.

SOME OF YOU MAY EVENTUALLY HEAR ABOUT MY LOFT AS MIGHT TELL YOU THAT IT'S LIKE A MINI VERSION OF VINYL/ARC. THAT WAS MY INTENTION AND IT IS "MY" PRIVATE SPACE! A PLACE OF WORK THAT I CANNOT COMFORTABLY DO IN MY PRIVATE HOME DUE TO NOISE COMPLAINTS FROM NEIGHBORS, AND I UNDERSTAND THEM NOT WANTING TO HEAR BOOMING BASS AT 4AM WHILE TRYING TO SLEEP. NEITHER WOULD I! NOW I HAVE A SPACE TO DO IT IN 24/7 IN A COMMERCIAL ZONE AND NO NEIGHBORS CAN SAY A THING TO ME EVER AGAIN! PS: LUCKILY, YOU CAN'T HEAR IT OUTSIDE ANYHOW!

SO, I WROTE THIS PART OF THE POST BECAUSE I AM SO TIRED OF THE CONFUSION BETWEEN THE LOFT PARTIES IN BROOKLYN AND MY PERSONAL LOFT HERE IN QUEENS. I KEEP GETTING ASKED "WHEN IS YOUR NEXT PARTY AT YOUR LOFT?" WELL, I HAVEN'T EVEN HAD ONE YET? THE PLACE IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION, IT IS NOT A NIGHTCLUB AND WILL NEVER BE ONE. MY INTENTION IS TO HOPEFULLY ONE DAY SOON USE THE FACILITY AS A LEARNING ANNEX FOR TEACHING THE ART OF DJ-ING & MIDI PRODUCTIONS AND REMIXES, ETC. I WILL POST MORE ABOUT THIS WHEN THE TIME COMES, BUT THIS IS JUST A DREAM OF MINE RIGHT NOW WHICH I HOPE TO MAKE A REALITY VERY SOON, HOPEFULLY SOMETIME IN 2003, BUT IF NOT, DEFINITELY IN EARLY 2004.

I HOPE YOU ALL APPRECIATE MY POST, SORRY FOR IT BEING SO LONG, AND I WISH EVERYONE NOTHING BUT THE BEST FOR ALL OF US INVOLVED.

SINCERELY,

danny tenaglia

Originally posted by vicman

I saw this on EZDreamer:

Danny Tenaglia on DTOURISIM

DEAR FRIENDS OF THE NIGHTLIFE,

ANYHOW, I FEEL AND MADE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT AT MY PARTY THIS PAST FRIDAY AT VINYL. I SAID SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF: "IT'S SAD ENOUGH WHAT WE ARE LIVING THROUGH WITH THE CRISIS THAT OUR PLANET IS IN WITH TERRORISM AND THE THREAT OF WAR, AND THAT THIS WEEK OUR COUNTRY WAS WARNED TO BE ON "HIGH ALERT." I MADE IT VERY CLEAR THAT I WAS NOT HAPPY TO HEAR THE NEWS ABOUT SF & EXIT AND WARNED THE PEOPLE IN ATTENDANCE THAT OUR NYC NIGHTLIFE APPEARS TO BE IN SEVERE "HIGH" ALERT!

I don't even know where to start with this one. . . :blown:

But seriously though. There are some idiots out there that fuck it up for everyone. I have to admit - I got booted from nations one night. Wasn't even my falt - really wasn't doing anything. But anyway they are cracking down. And it'll be a better thing if the club owners/bouncers/security do it over the PD are Narcs. People might not think about it but if there were more signs around telling the consequeinceukaashroiueh of getting busted less my be tempted to get so fucked up and to sell dope out in the open in the clubs.

I think advertising works - Hell I know it works - Ask shady about the chicken quesadilla.

I once got kicked out of what it use to be Babylon by Platinum because I had some eye dropps and was letting some friends use!!! They said that I was acting suspicius and passing things around to people, so they asked me to leave the club!!!

It was really shady!!

:mad3::biggun: