Clubplanet Nightlife Community

any business P.h.d's on the board??

CFA=chartered fiancial anayst. 3 tests over 3 years. deals with all aspects of portfolio/asset management....youre tested on everything from ethics, quant, economics, financial accounting...etc. good for working at a trading firm, hedge fund or asset manager.

its not easy, but the rewards are well worth it. (ie, $$$)

gonna try for CMT afterwards (chartered market technician).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by petp

CFA=chartered fiancial anayst. 3 tests over 3 years. deals with all aspects of portfolio/asset management....youre tested on everything from ethics, quant, economics, financial accounting...etc. good for working at a trading firm, hedge fund or asset manager.

PETP: good luck, you are very correct regarding the $$$. my neighbor who lives 3 houses down from me is a CFA. He is a quantitative analyst for thomson financial. He makes around 250k/year. It's actually quite funny, the majority of people who live on my street are all in the finance industry (mostly money managers), are all younger than 35 and living in a very exclusive nj neighborhood. again, good luck to you, stick with it as it will certainly pay out in the end

dami

Pretty interesting..one last question, How does getting the certification work? Gotta go to grad school? Or just 4 years of college and then you go for three years of certification? Do they require you to be in the financial industry??

Thanks

-iliana

its 3 levels, u take one test a year (its only given once a year worldwide, twice a year for level one), if u fail any level u can retake it the next year. u pay between 500 and 1000 (depending on the time of year u register for the test) to take the test, and you have to buy all the text books for the study material. luckily my firm pays for all the texts and theyre sending me to a 3 day schweser study camp.

no grad school is required BUT you need 3 years of relevant work experience in the asset managament field (or working at investment bank like i do) to get your charter.

go to the assoc. for investment mgmt & research website (www.aimr.org) if youre interested.

its 3 levels, u take one test a year (its only given once a year worldwide, twice a year for level one), if u fail any level u can retake it the next year. u pay between 500 and 1000 (depending on the time of year u register for the test) to take the test, and you have to buy all the text books for the study material. luckily my firm pays for all the texts and theyre sending me to a 3 day schweser study camp.

no grad school is required BUT you need 3 years of relevant work experience in the asset managament field (or working at investment bank like i do) to get your charter.

go to the assoc. for investment mgmt & research website (www.aimr.org) if youre interested.

Thank you and good luck.

-iliana

CFA is also good for credit risk positions

ps: good luck!!!

isnt' it only 2 textbooks though?

i know damadoran's investment valuation is one, and i've already read that...

there are nine texts for level one, the one u listed is not one of them.

yea i just looked at the list.. i was under the impression his book is was one of them, but maybe they changed it..

also surprising is that they didn't use Hull's derivatives book...

i know damadoran and hull are considered industry standards.. and i've had the pleasure of seeing damadoran on a few occasions luckily since i'm at stern and the guy is a god of finance... haha