Clubplanet Nightlife Community

any business P.h.d's on the board??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by trancerxn112

technically u dont refer to a business major as a ph.d u can say doctrite or what not... im working on my MBA and im considering continuing on to my doctrite im currently at Baruch

they do refer to them as Ph.D's

what are you getting your MBA in?

technically u dont refer to a business major as a ph.d u can say doctrite or what not... im working on my MBA and im considering continuing on to my doctrite im currently at Baruch

HUH???? Before you go get your "doctrite" make sure you learn how to spell "doctorate". And YES Nympho is right, there IS such a thing as a PhD in Business Administration, Duke for instance has such a program. Although the MBA is the degree most commonly sought after. I wouldn't bother with the PhD, if I were getting a PhD it would be in something esoteric, like quantitative analysis. Go for the MBA from a top school instead!

Originally posted by Drunk

HUH???? Before you go get your "doctrite" make sure you learn how to spell "doctorate". And YES Nympho is right, there IS such a thing as a PhD in Business Administration, Duke for instance has such a program. Although the MBA is the degree most commonly sought after. I wouldn't bother with the PhD, if I were getting a PhD it would be in something esoteric, like quantitative analysis. Go for the MBA from a top school instead!

agreed.. Ph.D program in managment is basically purely academic..

if i go for one, it will most likely be in economics..

yes but one my teachers

who i have a good relationship with is really suggesting that i go for the PhD

just recently in forbes there was an article saying that businesses dont know what to do with all these MBAs nowadays

also the degree is supposedly easier to obtain then before

but i would rather hear first hand from someone who is actually going for one right now or recently completed it

and i dont think i would mind doing the extra two years if i can work at the same time

but i am curious on the workload etc.

first off im goin for my MBA in Finance and Investments second whats the deal with this "Before you go get your "doctrite" make sure you learn how to spell "doctorate" why dont u take the stick out of ur ass and overlook the fact that i mispelled a word and finally i didnt disagree with her i just said you dont commonly see a business major with a ph.d

first off im goin for my MBA in Finance and Investments second whats the deal with this "Before you go get your "doctrite" make sure you learn how to spell "doctorate" why dont u take the stick out of ur ass and overlook the fact that i mispelled a word and finally i didnt disagree with her i just said you dont commonly see a business major with a ph.d

that is exactly why i am considering it

and posing this question

Originally posted by somebitch

why would someone get a phd in business unless they wanna teach business at a college level??

1. to learn (some people enjoy learning)

2. its a challenge (some people enjoy that too)

3. because of the current lack of jobs in the overall market and the increasing numbers of people earning mba's, it makes u stand out

why would someone get a phd in business unless they wanna teach business at a college level??

for the same reasons someone goes for an MBA....but even better salaries.

Teaching isnt a bad gig either. Six figure salaries are quite common for Finance/Accounting professors, and you can get 3 months off a year. Most of my professors do a lot of consuling work on the side.

Nympho: according to one of my risk management professors, a Phd can take 5 years if you go right after getting a BA

less time if you have an MBA

if youre looking to teach....any CUNY is tier 2...meaning you can teach in tier 2,3,or 4 schools

Originally posted by nympho69

1. to learn (some people enjoy learning)

2. its a challenge (some people enjoy that too)

3. because of the current lack of jobs in the overall market and the increasing numbers of people earning mba's, it makes u stand out

it sounds like you have your mind made up... you should go for it. just keep in mind, most of the time it is about who you know not what you know..

it sounds like you have your mind made up... you should go for it. just keep in mind, most of the time it is about who you know not what you know..

and who u know is usually related to what you know

yeah but i wanted some feedback as to how long it will currently take to complete

im hearing how it is easier and faster now

i just want to know if this is true or false

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

for the same reasons someone goes for an MBA....but even better salaries.

Teaching isnt a bad gig either. Six figure salaries are quite common for Finance/Accounting professors, and you can get 3 months off a year. Most of my professors do a lot of consuling work on the side.

Nympho: according to one of my risk management professors, a Phd can take 5 years if you go right after getting a BA

less time if you have an MBA

if youre looking to teach....any CUNY is tier 2...meaning you can teach in tier 2,3,or 4 schools

yeah when i hear the salaries of some of my professors or the heads of the department

my jaw drops

Originally posted by nympho69

and who u know is usually related to what you know

i guess so, i know some kids who went to yale and are working in cafes... i guess they didnt meet the right people. ;) knowing a lot is never going to hurt you though & also, if you get a phd, becoming a professor isnt a bad option, they do make good money and get lots of vacation. i almost wish i had gone that route.

Ok, remember this phrase . . ."Would you like fries with that?" You'll be needing it! :laugh:

But anyway, back to the topic, Nympho, consider a PhD in finance, as I think it would be more marketable than one in business admin (of course, assuming you have an interest in finance). By the time you get into the job market the economy will likely have improved anyway.

Originally posted by PFloyd40

not sure what what field your looking to get one in.. but in general its extremely difficult to get into a program... i was recently looking at the website for Stern's doctoral program and for finance they get on average 400 applicants and accept 7...

even more difficult where i would love to go

wharton

Ok, remember this phrase . . ."Would you like fries with that?" You'll be needing it! :laugh:

wow man hahahaha ur so funny i would like to grow up to be just like you... i dont need you to tell me what phrases ill need in my life because im secure in the knowledge that i dont need to check people's spelling so that i can appear all high and mighty, thats all i really have to say and i dont feel like pursuing this matter any further