Clubplanet Nightlife Community

PVD DVD Review

I think with this piece of production Paul Van Dyk has taken himself above the level of nearly all other DJ/Producer out there.

I was so taken back by how well the video was put together, and how much work and creativity was obviously put into it. That is not even considering the music, which every note is his. He even added some dope baselines to some of his older tracks ---which were LIGHT YEARS ahead of other electronic music production. I mean he wrote For An Angel in 1993 no?

He's like "The Beatles" of dance music as far as I'm concerned. Plus you hit his website, and he is using his popularity to support a political message, etc. I think he is taking shit to a new level.

Rant over!

The cd was ok. I expected more dance, but I liked it. The DVD was sweeeeeet. Thats something I can look back when im older and say" I danced to those songs" " and that's how life was in the music industry". Overall from a 1-10 , its a 10

Good work to PVD !!!!!!!!!

Victor Soto

Originally posted by bassboy

He's like "The Beatles" of dance music

I wouldn't go that far, but hey thats your opinion! If I had to compare any DJ to the beatles it would have to be Norman Cooke because of his Universal Appeal, not to mention he is one of the few DJs that is a Household Name!

Originally posted by mattm2o

I wouldn't go that far, but hey thats your opinion! If I had to compare any DJ to the beatles it would have to be Norman Cooke because of his Universal Appeal, not to mention he is one of the few DJs that is a Household Name!

Tru -

Rockafeller Skank anyone?

Originally posted by mattm2o

Britney Spears is a household name, and she ain't shit.

The reason I say PVD is like the Beatles of electronic music is that he is and has been way ahead of his time. Ever listen to 45 rpm? Ridiculous for 94'. I also respect that he is using his reach to send a political message, which is one thing that happens in almost every other genre in the music industry but not this one so much because

A-DJ's play other people's music (which PVD does live but has put out only one CD with other people's music and it was about the Politics of Dancing

B-Many of these DJ's and producers especially are faceless celebrities.

I think it is a great thing for the industry, especially in comparison to someone like Oakenfold who is interested in financial pillage. I hope it is encouraged.

My .02

Eric

I thought the CD was really weak to be honest....i haven't seen the DVD yet....but the CD was watered down versions of old songs....seems like the last comment someone could make is that he's NOT out for the $$$

but we'll see, I'm curious about the DVD, that could be interesting......

you'll get no argument from me that PVD is one of the biggest movers in electronic dance music, though.....I was wondering as I listened to the CD whether or not he actually fell behind though......lookin forward to his artist album in the fall which should answer that question

The CD MIGHT have been worth buying if it wasn't almost a complete rehash of his old tracks. Quite frankly, I have 85% of the album already from his old CDs, and getting them all on one comp plus a DVD doesn't really justify the price.

Dissappointment from PvD, to be sure.

Originally posted by zeeker

cool, thanks.

And did I hear right?

There's footage from Exit????

ha, can't wait.

yes, last friday i posted about the dvd and i posted a pic of exit from the cd booklet. search my posts for it and see what else u can find in my past threads.

Originally posted by zeeker

wait...what does the DVD even consist of? Live shows? Interviews? Videos? All?

first the main thing is that it plays the CD but with different footage from Pauls various stops around the world in a continuous mix, the first song is all about nyc and exit, has awsome footage of him spinnin there. There is also an interview with him, 4 or 5 music videos for his older songs and theres a couple other things. its worth it.