Clubplanet Nightlife Community

<<<tyler Stadius @ Maze>>>

eddyguerra305

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by diegonyc

I warned Tyler on the way to Philly a couple of weeks ago. He heard of about the Paolo Mojo fiasco and I just wanted to give him a heads up that Miami isn't the easiest place to play at among other things...

Such a shame because he really is a fantastic dj and extremely humple person. No biggie though, he's touring all over europe which is why he won't be in Miami. At least there people will appreciate his sound and after what happened last night, do you blame the guy if he never wants to play in 'plastic city' again?

Diego and Lenan. I believe both of you are in NYC. We are not Alabama or a "plastic city" just because of what happened. I believe Space, Crobar and ex-Spin have done it the right way. I'm sure Tyler would have blown the roof at Crobar. Realize something, Crobar had Edgar V for the first time there and he rocked. And Crobar is a house club. It has to do with attracting the right crowd. To the main floor of course.

I still believe that Crobar and Space are among the top clubs in the country. The city can't be labeled for what Maze has done. They are in the bottom tier in Miami, except for Saturdays, which is a "circuit nite".:cool:

tyler would've cleared the place out at crobar and space. look what happened the last time lee burridge was at spin. a good deal of the ppl left. maze was beginning to fill out and when tyler came on...they left. i would see ppl walk in and walk right back out and head to lime bar or leave. crobar and space cater to a specific crowd and music style.

it's very disheartening to see what transpired last night. after the paolo mojo fiasco, cutting tyler's set and then not letting him spin in limebar...maze has really messed up.

i didn't say it was Alabama, i said don't let it become like Alabama.

I wasn't bashing Miami, although...I am stating from what I know, that it's scene isn't what it used to be. i actually love miami, love the people, and all the friends i have there. but really...about 90% of the people who go out, know nothing about music. a simple fact that no matter where tyler played (i.e. Living room) a couple months ago, the same thing happened. 70 people in a club? it would be easier to throw the party in my basement! :blank:

I'll venture my 2 cents here at the risk of getting flamed, again.... but anyway I left because it was just way too loud, Sammy did play too hard for an opener, I mean that would have been a good opening for a Trance DJ, but not for a house party, but at least he kept the volume to a reasonable level, Tyler started OK but for some reason after about 5 tracks he had brought the volume up to a really unbearable level, someone on the floor could have easily told him about it and fixed the problem. I would have told somebody but I figured anyone who was in a position to bring the issue directly to Tyler would have written me off as being too sensitive or a party pooper, or who knows what... or maybe someone else was responsible for the overall volume, who knows? The other thing was that Tyler started right off with a cool broken beat track, then into herbie hancock's "rockit" and then into some nu school breaks. I think it would have been better to start off with house and then throw a few breaks later, but I think he really didn't know what to do after Sammy, so he threw the breaks right then 'cause maybe it was the hardest stuff he had with him. Again this points to the opener, but maybe if someone had informed him, come up with a game plan in advance, ya know, then he could have played a more appropriate opening set... you'd like to think he would inform himself first, but you just can't expect most of these DJ's to take the time and effort to do a little research on who they're opening for, sad maybe but true, somebody really has to tell them what's up in advance in order to avoid what happened last night.

What I always say is that if you can play Miami (and not loose the crowd, that is) you can play anywhere, and if you can do it while sticking to a fairly underground program then you are truly great! Mr. C did it, Josh Wink does it, if I were Tyler I'd want another stab at it, after some time to reflect, maybe just throw some crowd pleasing tracks on CDR, fix 'em up in pro-tools first to make them less cheesy, or whatever it takes to do something cool while not losing the crowd, most people here don't have the best taste in music, but they are very very particular about what they hear, and they can tell when a dj is really good, as long as he keeps the energy at a high enough level, with the right proportion of house to breaks, with enough tribal drums, but not as much so more... yada yada yada, it can be done, but it's far from easy, very far from it.....

It looks like the Maze management need to get their shit together. :blown:

Tyler clearing out the dance floor? damn!! he and Three should form a duet then. :laugh: :laugh: .....some DJs just are doomed when come to Miami even though they are good.

:blank:

or maybe they need to get digweed in there and all of their problems will be solved. yes, im dripping w/ sarcasm.

I know!... I posted that because I knew you'd jump on it right away. :D

btw, I bet Digweed would fill up Maze right away. :)

Originally posted by laliux

Digweed could fill up any club in Miami. But I doubt he would play at a place like Maze. Disrespecting fellow DJs like Paolo and Tyler is disrespecting the industry and their passionate profession.

As Lenan said, I doubt any DJ would want to take a chance at Maze. They have done everything wrong. Was the name Maze meant for the infraestructure of the place or for the managements club venture?? :confused:

I still believe the only thing that can save Maze is to make it an all "circuit " club. Other than that they are just good at disrespecting their guest DJs. I agree with you Phrancadelic, why stop the music if you have already paid for the DJ? Why blame the DJ for their terrible promoting??

I heard from many clubbers only the worst of all comments. Go to Maze to get "hooked-up" with free drinks, buy your party treats there, and leave. What a shame.:(

Originally posted by laliux

they better get on it 'right away' or else they're club will close 'right away'

all i can say is that sammy fucked up, so did tyler..

the place started to get packed and tyler blew it. no disrespect but that muzic isnt for miami. cant blame promoters, the new promoters just started last week ppl are now starting to go. its just the muzic. btw i also wouldnt have let tyler spin in lime bar. why do that , to kill 2 parties in 1 night. limebar was fine . u shouldnt fix anything that isnt broken. also i would say that there still is a futre in maze they just picked up eddy guerra last week as a promo director, who happends to be the brother of emi guerra the marketing genius who created club space and brother of tony guerra part owner of crobar now so i would say that he knows what he is doing since he has worked with all of them, so i would say within a few weeks the changes will start, but the music definitly needs to change..

i would have to say house. mabey some trance. not put down the breaks but thats what tyler was playing.. i walked in at 145 and tyler was playing the beverly hill cop theme song with breaks.

i mean think about it, what club plays breaks here . space =house

crobar= house , progressive spi= trane, progressive opium= house. no body plays breaks, must be for a reason.

not saying tyler isnt good cause i think he is a good dj. and i love breaks as well. but for the miami scene witch just follows. i would have to say house and progressive. but hey thats just my opinion

Obviously someone doesn't know what they're doing now letting some peanut head dj bang it out as an opener.

Do you just show up with some records and say you're a dj and you get to open up for headliners? Isn't there some sort of screening process where they listen to what you play and plan your lineups accordingly. this kid had no reason opening up for tyler.

same thing happened when cedric and lee cakebread opened up for howells. this happens all too often and it seems that it constantly gets overlooked.

hope it works out for the new team coming in...

LMAO!

So what IS the music for Miami? Fluffy trance? Hard and dark tribal beats? More breakdowns? Maybe some cheesey synths?

Enlighten us houemachine.

It's funny we can sit here and argue about this all we want, but the fact is that the majority of miami clubgoers have never even hear of this messageboard, or much of anything else for that matter

anyway, it's not about any one particular style, In Miami it's more about the energy and accessability, and you can talk down to people all you want, but that's not going to make them improve their musical taste.... DJ's just have to play it safe in the main rooms here, you can sneak in some more underground stuff too, the more the better as far as I'm concerned, including some breaks, but you have to give the people what they want first, and then they'll trust you when you throw down something new and different and actually give it chance

Oh and BTW the Sammy is a real professional and has been for at least a decade. He plays everything from deep house to trance, unfortunately he didn't do any homework for this gig, and nobody else thought to do it for him, this is one of those little details that got over-looked by people who aren't thinking about how to avoid problems before they happen

well reading everything post my post, i have to say some things.

1. miami is 1 extreamly weird city

2. even most of our own djs dont get love (for example styke)

3. yeah miami is full of fake people, and shitty djs BUT THINK ABOUT how many influencle people have come out of here,

murk, one of the founding fathers of deep house

danny tenaglia, who isnt from here but was here for a while

styke, nuf said

phoenecia, if you dont know who these guys are u need to read up on miami :X

and more recently

austin leeds

ariel baund

dhm (who influnced me)

i know im missing quite a few more but come on

4. and it really isnt all the djs fault, who booked him that night, if the people who picked the opener had even heard anything that tyler has done, he or she would have known what type of opener to get

so there are alot of factors to why the opener didnt hack it...i threw in 2 + 3 just to say it :X ;)

tried to make some sence :/

-domingo

Originally posted by housemachine

i would have to say house. mabey some trance. not put down the breaks but thats what tyler was playing.. i walked in at 145 and tyler was playing the beverly hill cop theme song with breaks.

i mean think about it, what club plays breaks here . space =house

crobar= house , progressive spi= trane, progressive opium= house. no body plays breaks, must be for a reason.

not saying tyler isnt good cause i think he is a good dj. and i love breaks as well. but for the miami scene witch just follows. i would have to say house and progressive. but hey thats just my opinion

Tyler wasn't going to do an entire breaks set. If the pencilnecks on the floor knew anything, they'd realise he was just opening up his set with some of it. I didn't get in until 2:00, but I can see exactly what happened.

Sammy O finishes up...Tyler gets on, drops some quirky little breaks track....the guys on the dancefloor get a kick out of it, a laugh or two, meanwhile their snooty bitch girlfriends are getting all huffy about the music, and want to leave, and therefore the room empties...

The general crowd down here has no patience, and isn't willing to try something new on for size. I've seen it happen a million times...Burridge drops a breaks track at Spin, the room empties, Tyler does it at Maze, the room empties. Should DJs not drop breaks? Hell no. Should the DJs play exclusively what the crowd wants? No. You want that, install a laptop with a copy of Direct Connect in the DJ booth. A real DJs purpose is to entertain and educate. Frankly, the same exact style all night would get to me.

Final words while I try to put this thread to rest . my final conclusion is that while modernism and whoever else had good intentions and the connections to bring Tyler down. They should of really thought this out . Since when has a house dj that is fairly un-known to many with the exception of myself and a few other educated househeads been able to pack a club as large as MAZE. I mean most of the people there that night didnt know who the fuck Tyler was. I mean it would of worked alot better at Aquabooty at least that crowd are more receptive to hearing different forms of house and.... its a smaller more intimate VIBEY space. I mean if your going to bring somebody more on the house tip to MAZE's main room

you would probably have done better with someone like Eric Morillo for example. Tyler's is a dj that is better heard intimately with others that can appreciate him, at least in Miami. On another note I think Demi(Deeper Substance) could of pulled it off better even coming on after Sammy's banging set. Of course they are different but both, for the most part un-known to many in Miami. Hopefully, Maze can get the formula right

sorry Joe thats kinda un-related to what Im saying Zabiela was hyped up with Sasha, alot more people knew he was than they did Tyler and Crobar is well established and dont have any problems with the place emptying out in 10 minutes with anyone they have playing no matter how bad. Tyler tried to resume where

sammy left off obviously it was a difficult task. And the so called breaks that he was playing were merely quircky tunes that were going no where especialy Herbie Hancock's Rockit which BTW when I heard that song in the club I knew there was a problem hope I gave you a little better idea of the night