Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyone Know the Dates for the DJ convention in March??

india22

Arrakis (and all),

I agree with you completely. Despite how ridiculous security was this past year. There is no other place for the conference. Thanks for the props on the Crobar show.

There is going to be a "mini"-music conference in Vegas next weekend. The best clubs in the world are being represented, i.e. Pacha, Ministry, Cream, Spundae etc. etc. I will be spinning at a pool party at the Hard Rock. <Inside Tip> also expect a special house set courtesy of one Carl Cox! Something not to miss.

take care...

Jeremy

If you were at WMC last year you would know your statement about out of towners running the door at various clubs is COMPLETELY WRONG.....Eric Morillo had a tough time getting into a Subliminal Party....because the door staff was so rude and stuck on themselves (and probably full of roids or any number of other things).

Pete Tong, Judge Jules, Sweedish Egil and a bunch of other "high profile" people in the industry were hastled so badly, the talked about it in Mix Mag and on Grooveradio.com respectively.

I would suggest that the people who run WMC will be cleaning up that mess this year, or else the delegates will get tired of dealing with Miami.

where is foxy001 when you need her.... i think you both need to relax... you say that sf has a lot of local talent that's good to hear... the thing of it is that in miami it's hard for a new dj to get into the spotlight ... there are no dj or promoters here that are willing to give an upcoming artist a chance.... unless you know someone very well other than that your screwed ..... destin to do minor house parties....and if there is someone out there helping local talent in miami or ft. lauderdale i have never seen or heard of you... artistry is going to change that real soon.....

get ready for the invasion..... cwm14.gif

------------------

GARY P.(ARTISTRY @ NEVIS)

FREE YOUR MIND

Mrk> I totally agree. And I think part of it stems from the fact that these door staff know absolutely nothing about electronic music (i.e. they couldn't recognize Morillo, Jules, etc.) and partly b/c Miami has such a "click" of clubbing elite who consistently take top priority over the very people who mix and make this wonderful music.

------------------

"House music... it can change your soul."

"The second most popular game that we played as children... is house."

"Not everyone understands house music... it's a spiritual thing, a body thing, a soul thing."

mrkleen2000,

I was here for the WMC last year, and the year before. I did notice that some of the SOuth Beach locals were working the doors at the clubs. But I also noticed that the majority of people working the door were non-club staff. They were hired outsiders from NYC, from LA, from San Fran, from wherever...and they didn't care who people were. The record companies who host the parties at the clubs here staff the doors. They also make their ONLY money from the door purse at many clubs. So, if you don't have a WMC pass, you wait. If you have a WMC pass, you're supposed to get in free and fast, but only if someone at the door sees you. And, yes, it is South Beach, so even outsiders working the door decide very fast that they let the hot girls in first. I imagine the high profile dj's who had a problem getting into the clubs most likely pissed off some huge bastard who doesn't even listen to house music. They most likely said, "Don't you know who I am?" And the doorguy said, "I don't care."

You don't have to be a local to know that you don't shit on the people at the rope. Ask Gilbert Stafford about that.

I"m willing to bet those "High profile" people you mentioned left their badges at home, and said they didn't need them. Then when they had a problem at the door, they bitched.

Also, some parties didn't let even badged people in free. The Chemical Brothers concert was closed to WMC badges and <A HREF="http://www.clubplanet.com/guestlists/" TARGET="_blank"> guestlists</A> , so the record company could make a buck. The usually don't get any money from the bar.

In conclusion, I'd like to say that the doorpeople who work the clubs here during non-WMC weeks are extremely cliquey. I have no problems walking into a club for free as soon as I approach the rope, but when I show up with a group of 4 or more, I have to wait till the door people let in the hot girls and big spenders. That's just the way South Beach is. I invite you to try to come down to 320, Crobar or Vivid when it reopens, and bring your "high profile" guys with you. You'll all wait outside until the doorperson feels it's time to let you in. It has nothing to do with steriods either. We let the Northerners do that, since they can't tan all year long.

Down here, unfortunately, it's about money, friendship and good looks at the high profile clubs.

There are other clubs that don't play that game though...Space, Level Krave (if it ever opens)and Shadow Lounge will let anybody with $20 in their doors. In these clubs, music is their main concern, and dancing is extremely welcome. I love to go to these clubs because the vibe is usually real. The doormen aren't usually pricks since there's usually not a line outside the place except for Fridays and Saturdays from midnight to 1:00.

So, the reason there's a mystique about real South Beach-style clubs is because the average Joe can't wait long enough to get inside. He doesn't know how to dress or bring classmates or co-workers who are female with him, and he insists on bringing all his boys out to prowl for chicks. He also doesn't know how to work his business card to make it seem he's more important than he really is.

I guess South Beach is different than Massachusettes. But then again, I'm glad it is.

------------------

Staff- Miami

ClubPlanet.com

This has nothing to do with South Beach being different than Massachusetts; it has to do with Miami Clubs not knowing how to treat people at the door.

The people who run WMC do a great job with the seminars and get togethers. The people of Miami are fun to be around and party with and they sure are beautiful (men and women). The clubs in Miami are great and have some of the best layouts, sound systems etc, in the world.

It is not about all of those things; it is about the way people were treated at the door during the parties of WMC.

If you don’t think that Pete Tong or Eric Morillo should be let into their own parties, that are drawing lines of people around the BLOCK, then I guess you don’t have much business sense.

The name of the event was the Subliminal Records Party….there would be NO PARTY if not for Eric Morillo, yet some MEATHEAD is outside giving him Shit about getting in.

HELLO? Is there something wrong with this picture?

If bragging about how you have to “work the door” with the right clothes and the right “business card” is what makes you happy, more power to you. I would bet, if you ask the average Clubber out here what they think of crap like that, they would tell you it is stupid one of the MAJOR NEGATIVES of the clubbing scene.

Clubs should be about the vibe, the music and people having fun…..not a fashion show or a popularity contest, or worse, seeing who can throw around the most money at the door. That is a bunch of BULLSHIT.

Whether you like it or not, the people who run WMC were VERY CONCERNED with the way things were handled last year in Miami, and I will BET they will CLEAN IT UP this year.

There is already a movement to have a Music Conference in Ibiza….if Miami is so sure they don’t need the money that 10,000 delegates infuses into the economy at WMC, tell them to keep acting they way they did last year.

mrkleen,

I'm sorry you don't understand what I'm saying about who works the doors during WMC. It's obvious you've never seen regular door people here in South Beach during non-conference dates. You'd notice that the local staff isn't a bunch of "meatheads" or steriod boys. Most doormen and women are very thin...models usually.

During the conference, OUTSIDE COMPANIES bring door people and hire their own security to run the door on their own policies. If Pete Tong or Eric Morillo have problems getting into their own parties, they have problems with their record company's security. 99% of the money made from the door goes to whoever is throwing the party (promoters & record companies) not the club, so they usually don't even staff the front door. I noticed that at the Jonanthan Peters party, it was the total door staff from Soundfactory in NYC here.

I personally didn't go to that Subliminal party last year, and don't see it on the list of parties at http://www.wmcon.com/nightclu.htm so I can't say who works the door at the venue regularly, nor can I explain why in particular the stars of the show had problems getting in. Or why they didn't have special VIP passes for the party.

I can say that you should come visit the clubs here during non-conference days to see how the scene works for yourself.

It's not as bad as the magazine writers say. They don't come here during the off weeks either.

Although it is somewhat of a popularity contest at some of the clubs all year long, if you don't have a WMC badge or you're not on the <A HREF="http://www.clubplanet.com/guestlists/" TARGET="_blank"> guestlist</A> during conference, you're paying or not getting in. I'm willing to bet that Peter and Eric left their passes elsewhere, and cought shit from some dumbass OUTSIDE hired meathead, not t6he normal doorperson from the club.

Whatever. If you have the chance to cast the final vote for moving the conference to Ibiza (like you so blindly suggest), I hope you can afford the ticket to get there. Also, Ibiza is closed during the winter, and 3/4 of the small record companies and dj's who pay the $300 for the badge and right to go to the seminars would never pay to go to Ibiza twice in the same year, even if the opened the clubs.

Enjoy the winter.

------------------

Staff- Miami

ClubPlanet.com

Jeremy> I totally agree with you about not moving the WMC to Ibiza; what a nightmare that would be, logistics-wise! I agree Ibiza is a happening place in the summer, but not the ideal location for such a grand event as our Conference... I actually like the cycle: release your track in Miami under the host of producers and DJs worldwide, then have it played (or trashed) to the clubbing elite in Ibiza. But I also agree that the WMC should be a bit better organized this year. The true customers for this event (in my opinion) are the DJs and producers (and promoters), so if they're not catered to (in other words unsatisfied) then something is wrong and changes may have to be made; whether we like it or not!

------------------

"Not everyone understands house music... it's a spiritual thing, a body thing, a soul thing."

Shuga> They should be released very soon... stay tuned!

------------------

I have my dates booked for SoBe for March 2-11, but I'm waiting for the WMC dates to be released so I can change my week. Hope to meet some of you Miami folks, I'll be flying down from Philly. I heard the dates should be out within a week. Yay! biggrin.gif

cwm17.gif

AH! My new favorite time of year has come back!

I've heard so much about MiamiDade and the Winter Music Conference, but I have NEVER been. I do know quite a few people who have visited MiamiDade--one of whom now owns a club here called "BOY." As for me, the closest I've come is a Burdines credit card and a new subscription to Ocean Drive Magazine (LOVE IT!).

Hmmm, no wonder why so many Heartlanders like myself flee there for months at a time.

Also, I did hear about some of the clubs not honoring the Conference passes. I hope that wasn't true; if it was, I hope it was just a fluke. I've already told my boss where I plan to be next March. Now if only the dates were available...

So who can tell me more about MiamiDade?

------------------

Erick Adam "E-rock" Sanders

Mrkleen

Obviously you haven't heard Icey's new Essential Mix CD for you to be bashing him so badly. You also probably haven't heard him live to know what you're talking about. I haven't heard any good DJ's out of Mass. They must be afraid they might have to give up that messed up accent you all have up there!!

Pay attention, those bouncers were from out of town. Oh and have you tried to go out in NY?? Miami's a piece of cake compared to NY and LA when the LOCAL guys are at the door.

I dont recall saying anything about DJ Icey....but since you brought it up....I think that whole Florida Breaks thing is a little TIRED.

DJs and Producers from Boston....yeah you are right, Boston sucks, but we have had a couple.....Pete Moss (deep house, now works with Nigel Richards and Dieselboy in Philly), Morgan Page (another Deep House producer), DJ Fran, John Debo and one other guy you might have head of, ARMAND VAN HELDEN....

• 2 weeks later...

Dear jeremy and anyone else who replied on the South beach door staff status, Ive been in Miami at conference time and other times, worked on the door at both the living room and barroom, like Jeremy said they all hire outside companies and Ive been with doorstaff and djs from miami from trying to get into the clubs they work at during conference time and being refused I was also there two years ago when Josh Wink was freaking outside Baroom because surprise he didnt have his pass...there is a problem in Miami with waiting to get into clubs but thats the fault of the clubs who want there place to look like the most elite place..but im a Scottish dj who if ive phoned a little bit in advance and am courteous to the door staff never have any problems..I think that makes a big difference...apart from a certain 6foot tall transvestite at living room who was a law unto herself!

If possible could i also be mailed some info about the conference and if anyone knows of any cheap hotels in south beach?

Ive been hassling the guys at wmf im too impatient!

Juliax

Juliadaniels@hotmail.com

Ps dont know if its still right but last couple of years dates were around the 23rd march till the 30th but dont shoot me if im wrong!

Archived