Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Smoking Ban -- How Has it Affected You?

So you're basically equating a smoke free bar or lounge to something as a "negro-free" or "white-free" bar?

I can't see that...but then again I don't smoke, so i don't see this as "earth shattering" like you do. Honestly, i don't think it's a big deal at all.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by eckobarbie1

We went to Level One in Annadale, then to the Waterloo and last but not least, Jimmy Maxx, where I puked in the utility closet!!! HAHAHA, what a great night. Sorry to post that disgusting scene.

no doubt. .where in si you from?

Well the way this really effects me is in the fact that pool/billiards has always had a few stigmas that come with it, gambling, smoking and drinking...although the drinking part is fading little by little by choice.

Now last Thursday I was out and was playing this guy in a race to three (best of five) for a nice sum of change and was up two games to one. Now the fact that I couldn't smoke had been bugging me and got my mind on that somewhat instead of on the game and I'll admit, smoking does bring about a relaxing feeling for me. And to go outside to smoke really isn't the nature of the game. In anycase, I wasn't stroking the way I normally do and was completely off. He tied the match two-two and then I should have ended it but wasn't relaxed, flinched and missed the shot that got me perfect on the last ball. He then made his last two shots and won.

Point is, this law is an infringment to the owners. They are the ones that should decide if their establishment is to be smokefree, not Bloomie. Employees can work at other venues that are smokefree, such as the resteraunts. Most people that tend bar, at least the ones that I know, smoke. I seriously am disgusted with this mayor and hope the Democrats put up a viable candidate when he runs for re-election.

Originally posted by spragga25

So you're basically equating a smoke free bar or lounge to something as a "negro-free" or "white-free" bar?

I can't see that...but then again I don't smoke, so i don't see this as "earth shattering" like you do. Honestly, i don't think it's a big deal at all.

well i can kind of see the argument. It's not about racial prejudice, but it is prejudice of personal habits.

Kind of like whether or not someone is allowed into a club with jeans and sneakers. That policy is entirely dependant on the club owner, not the city.

If a restaurant or club does not want smokers, it should be free to set that policy, or provide alternative locations for them to go.

The city should not mandate what people may and may not do, especially considering these locations are not city-owned, but private businesses.

I'm no smoker, and i do appreciate a smoke-free environment, but at the same time i think it's unfair to businesses to be forced to adhere to a law such as this. additionally, what about the lounges and bars who constructed alternate rooms and such, specifically for smokers. the cost of construction basically turned out to be a waste.

I just don't think it's fair. If the city truly wanted to help out the people involved, they would mandate that employers provide a written contract specifically stating the dangers inherent in working in a smoking environment, and require the employee to acknowledge these dangers. That way, someone can't complain seven years later that smoking is hazardous to their health and play dumb to the courts.

i think the city is just trying to provide another avenue for income, through non-compliance tickets.

Originally posted by grtstprtyevr

Second, yes - smokers are in the minority. But what does this have to do with government intervention? So because blacks are in the minority should we reinstate segregation??? Smoking does not necessarily force anyone to deal with its health risks other than the person doing the smoking. When you go to a bar that you know allows smoking, you are making the sacrifice of going into that bar! As I said before, the problem is that before the ban there were no bars that were non-smoking, which admittedly was unfair to non-smokers. At the same time, outlawing smoking at EVERY BAR is equally unfair to smokers! There should be bars for both groups - period! Smokers aren't trying to impose their ways onto those that don't smoke - we simply want our own space to do it. Many people enjoy smoking while drinking... they should have the right to do so. Furthermore, many bar owners have a clientele that, in the majority, smokes! This particularly includes dive bars. The owners of these bars should have the right to make the decision on whether or not smoking is allowed in their private business! In the end, extremists on both ends are what hurt the argument as a whole. We need a compromise that makes everyone happy, and that compromise lies in opening both smoking AND non-smoking bars, and giving the people, the consumers, the right to choose what type of bar they want to go to. Saying that smoking is "bad for you" is not enough of a reason to outlaw it, otherwise drinking would not be legal either. And saying: "well there's no such thing as second hand alcohol" is irrelevant as well because I feel that non-smokers should be provided with a smoke-free haven for drinking... but smokers should also be provided with a haven for them as well! If Amsterdam makes this work with marijuana, surely we can work something out with tobacco!

this isn't well written at all.. you question segregation while your whole arguement suggests the institution of segregation...

you're just a bitter smoker.. get over it...

Originally posted by cintron

well i can kind of see the argument. It's not about racial prejudice, but it is prejudice of personal habits.

Kind of like whether or not someone is allowed into a club with jeans and sneakers. That policy is entirely dependant on the club owner, not the city.

If a restaurant or club does not want smokers, it should be free to set that policy, or provide alternative locations for them to go.

The city should not mandate what people may and may not do, especially considering these locations are not city-owned, but private businesses.

I'm no smoker, and i do appreciate a smoke-free environment, but at the same time i think it's unfair to businesses to be forced to adhere to a law such as this. additionally, what about the lounges and bars who constructed alternate rooms and such, specifically for smokers. the cost of construction basically turned out to be a waste.

I just don't think it's fair. If the city truly wanted to help out the people involved, they would mandate that employers provide a written contract specifically stating the dangers inherent in working in a smoking environment, and require the employee to acknowledge these dangers. That way, someone can't complain seven years later that smoking is hazardous to their health and play dumb to the courts.

i think the city is just trying to provide another avenue for income, through non-compliance tickets.

But what about non-smokers like myself that are sick and tired of inhaling second-hand smoke but still want to go out? Should we just stay home or go out and not say anything about the smoke?

You can't win either way - someone will always be pissed off.

Originally posted by dgmodel

so why not have a smoking section??? derf... why is it totally banned??? im not even a smoker... like i said i smoke maybe a pack in a month depending on drinking and etc.... yet i have no beef with other smokers...

umm...maybe because some places are too small to setup one?

:idea:

Originally posted by choobak

this isn't well written at all.. you question segregation while your whole arguement suggests the institution of segregation...

you're just a bitter smoker.. get over it...

First of all, I only brought up segregation to prove a point about smokers being in the minority... and that minority should not equate to inferiority or lesser rights. I do not mean to suggest that a smoking ban is on the moral equivalent of racial segregation and I apologize if that is the message that anyone received.

Second, my argument does not suggest the institution of segregation because I am suggesting equality! Segregation is not mere separation, it is UNEQUAL AND PREJUDICED SEPARATION! If I said that smoking bars should provide better music and charge less cover or something like that, then you would have an argument. All I'm saying is: let's make everyone happy and stop this stupid ass debate! Obviously the right to smoke at a bar is very important for some people, just as the right to breathe clean air and not reek when you come home is an important one for others. Build em both - satisfy em all. I have spoken :smoke:

building 'em both will never satisfy them all... there will always be differences in quality between the non-smoking and smoking venues... where djs choose to go and what not.. it's not like you're gonna get pvd to spin two gigs to satisfy us all... it just doesn't work like that... by splitting up groups like that your automatically segregating...

making venues for smokers and non-smokers just isn't a viable solution...

Originally posted by brooklynkid

He was elected because of his business background, to *begin* to get us out of a fiscal crisis worse than NYC has seen in decades.

Yup, good to see he's workin on that while he rants and raves about his anti smoking crusade...

:rolleyes: