Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The proper way to share electronic music files...

if you have the ACTUAL cd, and you make a mp3 or something out of it, create a fucking cue file to go with it, and put it in the same directory as the mp3...

you can do so easily with Exact Audio Copy (aka the best program for ripping cds ever invented)

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

theres an option under one of the menus for ripping a whole cd at once and creating a cue file... its 1 click...

that way you can burn the cd mp3 as multiple tracks or play them as such with certain players later on...

i think we all have so many sets/cds that are just 1 big file... what a pain in the ass....

Originally posted by phatman

...or you can just buy the actual cd and help save the music industry...

thats a whole nother topic to its own... i'm talking about people already ripping cds... but doing it wrong... and sharing them that way...

:)

...i know...i was just "ribbing" you...i actually needed advice on this topic...i'm ripping my cds using creative labs playcenter that came with the new sound card i got...but the fokker doesnt pick up the album and track title...so either i have to get different software...or use a different type of format such as mentioned by yourself above...and as far as the cds already burned, i might have to go in and manually tag each track...i doubt that will happen...too time consuming....easier to rip it properly...eh...whatever...now i'm just babbbbbbbbbbbling...

do you know if the cue files are readable by a portable mp3 player? Can you somehow merge the mp3 and cue file so that the player can skip to different parts of the file without having track breaks?

I've been trying to figure this out since my mp3 player has a pause between tracks. So for now I have just been listening to one long file. It would be cool if you could somehow put markers into an mp3 file without actually splitting it up into multiple tracks.

This tutorial will get you all setup and ripping perfect mp3s (either 1 file and a cue, or multiple tracks) in under 10 minutes with higher sound quality than before...

http://www.ping.be/satcp/cd2mp3-en.htm

(and please, please, please use --alt-preset standard or higher when you encode the mp3s [you'll understand what that means after you read the tutorial] )

it has great explanations and pictures of things you'd normally just skip over because its "computer jargin"...

trust me, if you care about music at all, its worth the 10 minutes to bang this out...

(and btw, nick, this will take care of all your filename/tagging woes... oh, and try

THIS for all your existing files... it should bang that out in short order)

Originally posted by spd1980

do you know if the cue files are readable by a portable mp3 player? Can you somehow merge the mp3 and cue file so that the player can skip to different parts of the file without having track breaks?

I've been trying to figure this out since my mp3 player has a pause between tracks. So for now I have just been listening to one long file. It would be cool if you could somehow put markers into an mp3 file without actually splitting it up into multiple tracks.

i'm not 100% sure what hardware players work... but as far as software players on your computer... Foobar2000 will read cuesheets and play gapless...

(if you decide to use that player and need any help setting it up, i'll post a guide on how to get the most from it... some of the technical options can be tricky)

as far as merging them, i know some formats allow for this, but i don't think mp3 is one of them...

Originally posted by Ronin

been using cdrwin for over a year to burn my live sets with cue sheet.

yeah, its really nice to be able to burn them as multiple tracks so you can flip through them in the car if you want...

I usually just split my tracks into 300 secs.. That works well and no dependence on Cue sheets... Look for an mp3splitter I know there is a german one on the internet somewhere..

It would nice to have cue sheets, but I'm more excited about Par files that come with rar files.. Finally all my downloads dont go to waste when one file is corrupted... :D

Originally posted by rdancer

I usually just split my tracks into 300 secs.. That works well and no dependence on Cue sheets... Look for an mp3splitter I know there is a german one on the internet somewhere..

I do the same excact thing; i don't share the split files though. I wouldn't wanna download a 5 minute interlude of a set.

hey rocksteady the artists are also goin home hungry.

not just the record exces..

especially in the electronic music industry

most of us go on a record to record release basis.

no one buying them is goin to bring the whole thing down.

strictly rhythm, bonzai/lightning are just two pretty big ones

and there were other factors, but the mp3 sharing is not helping.

Originally posted by joeg

oh, i just checked... i think iRiver is the only portable that does cuesheets... (i'm dieing to get one of their players... soooo many features...)

all others have gaps :(

i have a SP250...from the recently fucked company, sonic blue....it's manufactured by iriver....its works decent....build quality is pretty crappy, if your cd has scratches it'll have problems with it (unlike most cdrom drives that dont seem to mind a few scratches). also the sound quality isn't the best out there....volume is too low, and it's got a brittle high end, the bass is too rumbly and not tight and smooth enough, the mids are a little better but not awesome.

the only other portable i can compare to is my old sharp MD recorder. i've found it to be of MUCH superior sound quality, even when comparing a MD track (1:5 compression) to a 320kbps (1:4 compression) MP3.

...i picked up a cd/mp3 player for my trip this weekend...but since i'm on a budget i went under $100...picked up the phillips/nike sport model...pretty cool..."no-look" buttons...wired remote...esp...etc....not the best for sure...volume is not great but not that bad either...bass and treble control helps...more to the point...it came with musicmatch which i bypassed in terms of installation...i have it here at work and dont really like it...at all...

Originally posted by dr0ne

i have a SP250...from the recently fucked company, sonic blue....it's manufactured by iriver....its works decent....build quality is pretty crappy, if your cd has scratches it'll have problems with it (unlike most cdrom drives that dont seem to mind a few scratches). also the sound quality isn't the best out there....volume is too low, and it's got a brittle high end, the bass is too rumbly and not tight and smooth enough, the mids are a little better but not awesome.

the only other portable i can compare to is my old sharp MD recorder. i've found it to be of MUCH superior sound quality, even when comparing a MD track (1:5 compression) to a 320kbps (1:4 compression) MP3.

damn... i was hoping to get the slimx-350... i've heard some good reviews on it... plus they keep releasing new firmware to support other file types (ogg vorbis, mpc, etc..)

for those of you who just split things by 300 seconds, PLEASE don't share those out... :)

buredf: this is not a thread to debate whether piracy is right/wrong... start a new thread... this is talk about ripping correctly....

The piracy debate can go on for 10 pages... please don't go into it on this thread... :)

i agree...but rocksteady, I suggest you aim me so i can send u my 17 page paper i just finished for my communications law class so u can fully see why what u said is partially right but very very bad--

that goes for anyone else interested in this debate--

ahh, ok, i gotta bite... hehe...

I don't think people who pirate (on a whole) do it to spite the record company outright (thats just a side effect)...

lets just face it, personally, I can get cd quality music, up to a MONTH before it hits stores, for free, and already converted to my format of choice...

as opposed to paying $20 (who are they kidding with that) going to the store, buying it, bringing it home and having to rip it myself...

at this point, even if i could walk into fye and get cds for free i wouldn't bother... infact, i'd probably have it before they did...

ahh, ok, i gotta bite... hehe...

I don't think people who pirate (on a whole) do it to spite the record company outright (thats just a side effect)...

lets just face it, personally, I can get cd quality music, up to a MONTH before it hits stores, for free, and already converted to my format of choice...

as opposed to paying $20 (who are they kidding with that) going to the store, buying it, bringing it home and having to rip it myself...

at this point, even if i could walk into fye and get cds for free i wouldn't bother... infact, i'd probably have it before they did...

i couldnt agree more--

customer convience is key...Why head to the mall, deal with teenie bopper gangster thugs, then wait on line so THEY can take YOUR 20 bucks to hear THEIR music?

But

copyright issues allow the artists to be compensated and they arent with FastTrack or other services--

Mark my words people...after writing this paper and doing an ungodly amount of research i GUARANTEE that services like KaZaa and the like will be extinct within the next 5 years....

FTP and other file sharing methods will take longer for them to catch up to but i think for the most part, Peer-to-peer systems are royally fucked...

and PS-- the RIAA sued Verizon to get the info of someone who downloaded 600 songs off KaZaa and they WON and got his personal info to press charges.....now how many of you have twice or 3x that amount of songs on your comp? Makes u think whats coming next?

anyone interested in reading my paper drop me a line and i'll gladly send it--its not the greatest thing you'll ever read but it addresses all these topic with the history and all....

Mike

Originally posted by djmikebugout

i couldnt agree more--

customer convience is key...Why head to the mall, deal with teenie bopper gangster thugs, then wait on line so THEY can take YOUR 20 bucks to hear THEIR music?

But

copyright issues allow the artists to be compensated and they arent with FastTrack or other services--

Mark my words people...after writing this paper and doing an ungodly amount of research i GUARANTEE that services like KaZaa and the like will be extinct within the next 5 years....

FTP and other file sharing methods will take longer for them to catch up to but i think for the most part, Peer-to-peer systems are royally fucked...

and PS-- the RIAA sued Verizon to get the info of someone who downloaded 600 songs off KaZaa and they WON and got his personal info to press charges.....now how many of you have twice or 3x that amount of songs on your comp? Makes u think whats coming next?

anyone interested in reading my paper drop me a line and i'll gladly send it--its not the greatest thing you'll ever read but it addresses all these topic with the history and all....

Mike

i disagree.

you're basically working from the assumption that the RIAA will triumph by suing everyone out of existance.

lemme give you a little bit of history.

way before p2p sharing apps were created, way before the web was a major part of modern society, there was an active "underground" network of machines dedicated to the distribution of copyrighted material. these systems thrived on the fact that unlike today's p2p systems, some random person just couldn't gain access - you had to have something to offer (a solid channel for more illegal works) OR know someone from within. once the internet started to gain in popularity, these services shifted from the dialup networks to telnet, irc and ftp sites....but again it wasnt a free for all, you still had to gain access. at that point, the scale of it wasn't so large as to piss the riaa off so they did nothing about it.....litigation is costly to them as well, if the threat isn't great, there's no reason to waste $$$ on lawyers.

IF (and that's a big if) the RIAA succeeds in setting enough examples to scare off the majority of the population, there will still be smaller "pockets" of systems dedicated to spreading music and the like - it'll become more restrictive like it was in the early 90s but it'll still exist. the RIAA will largely ignore them as they won't pose as big of a threat. and personally i couldnt care less...90% of the people sharing files are trading britney spears and nsync and crap like that, which i couldnt give a shit about...if those people are gone, it'll make no difference to me. the crowd dedicated to spreading music will stick around, and will find the proper channels to do so and remain under the radar.....that's how its always been and it'll continue to be like that, specially with newer technologies such as freenet and encrypted anonymous proxy based systems.