Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Rumor Mill: Saap going to the Bengals...

Guest saleen351

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by digital7

what papers? :rolleyes:

i wrote it on a pack of rolling papers....

it was reported in tampa and cincy.... and anything with saap goes national...

Bucs Call Sapp-Bengals Trade Rumors A Joke

By KATHERINE SMITH ksmith@tampatrib.com

Published: Apr 9, 2003

http://www.tampatribune.com/Sports/MGAAK3DNAED.html

TAMPA - Last off-season it was Oakland. This year, it's Cincinnati.

The latest Warren Sapp trade rumors began circulating Tuesday, with nearly everyone involved scoffing at the idea.

A Cincinnati Post article quoted ``an NFL source'' as saying the Bucs were negotiating a trade with the Bengals that would include Sapp for the No. 1 overall pick in the April 26-27 NFL Draft.

``That's laughable,'' Bucs General Manager Rich McKay said.

The Post's source said such trade talks took place because Sapp and defensive tackle Anthony McFarland are entering the final season of their contracts, with the 30-year-old Sapp due a base salary of $6.6 million this season and McFarland, 25, $2.25 million.

``The Buccaneers may not be able to keep both Sapp and McFarland,'' the source told the newspaper. ``Some people don't feel Sapp is the player he was four years ago and McFarland is younger.''

Sapp's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said he had not heard ``anything about a trade.''

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis also denied that his team has had trade discussions with the Bucs.

``How about that one?'' Lewis told The Post. ``I don't know where you got your information but it's bad.''

While the Bucs were quickly defusing the Sapp rumor Tuesday, they also were welcoming linebacker Dwayne Rudd.

Rudd signed a two-year contract and participated in the team's first day of organized activities.

He is expected to replace starting strongside linebacker Al Singleton, who signed with Dallas last month.

``It's nice that we were able to add a veteran of Dwayne's caliber to replace Al Singleton,'' McKay said. ``Dwayne is a very athletic player and has been very productive over his years in the league.

``He should have no problem transitioning into our scheme.''

Rudd spent the past two seasons in Cleveland, where he started in 31 games. He began his NFL career in Minnesota as the Vikings' first-round draft pick in 1997.

``With my history of playing against these guys [in the old NFC Central] during my first four years in Minnesota, it's just a dream come true to be down here and play with one of the best defenses of the '90s,'' Rudd said.

Tampa Bay also announced the signings of linebackers Bubba Alexander and Clayton White, and defensive tackles Ryan Fletcher and Cleveland Pinkney to one-year deals.

White spent last season on the New York Giants' injured reserve list and was released in February.

Alexander, Fletcher and Pinkney did not play in the league last year.

Bogus...

Mike Brown, aka owner, would never give up a first round pick (they need to pick Palmer) I remember they picked up Akili Smith and turned down the Saints offer for 4 first round picks over the years. As Chris Berman states when it's the Bengals 15 minutes on the clock. "The most interesting 15 minutes of the draft."