Clubplanet Nightlife Community

:: Thomas Penton :: May 3 :: Cleveland

GK- where the hell did you go?

vic, whenever he asks you to do anything- just don't listen b/c he flakes out! :splat:

I never "asked you do anything," I said "I'd call you when I know what's up." Guess what, I never found out. <mainly b/c I fell asleep during American Idol, but that point is pretty much irrelevant> :D

*& marko you really shouldn't consider pleasuring yourself three times in one night as being "over sexed" ---- you really need a partner to throw that term around.

1,000 Feared Dead in Caribbean Storm

1 hour, 4 minutes ago Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By AMY BRACKEN and PETER PRENGAMAN, Associated Press Writers

FOND VERRETTES, Haiti - Health officials feared up to 1,000 people could be dead in a single Haitian town from floods that wiped out villages across Haiti and the Dominican Republic, a figure that would nearly double the death toll from the disaster.

AP Photo

Reuters

Slideshow: Deadly Floods in Caribbean

Floods in Dominican Republic, Haiti Kill 550

(AP Video)

As search crews worked to recover bodies from devastated towns and villages in the two countries that share the island of Hispaniola, U.S.-led troops delivered bread, fruit and bottled water, and international aid employees fanned out to assess the damage.

The death toll was about 950, but the number was expected to jump. In the Haitian town of Mapou, as many as 1,000 people could be dead, said Margarette Martin, the government's representative for the southeast region in nearby Jacmel. Only about 300 bodies had been counted so far, said Dr. Yvon Lavissiere, the health director for the region.

Martin said officials believed hundreds more may have died because houses were submerged and rescuers saw bodies underwater that they were unable to retrieve.

The town of several thousand people, located 30 miles southeast of the capital of Port-au-Prince, is still isolated by mud and landslides. The town is in a valley that often floods when it rains.

In the Haitian border village of Fond Verrettes, meanwhile, U.S. and Canadian troops handed out food to hundreds of survivors who lined up seeking help.

Troops in the U.S.-led force were sent to stabilize Haiti after President Jean-Bertrand Aristide's ouster on Feb. 29. Since then the new interim government has struggled to provide even basic services. Left bankrupt, the government has scant resources to deal with natural disasters.

Rains over the weekend lashed the island of Hispaniola, sweeping away entire villages Monday.

At least 417 bodies had been recovered in the Dominican Republic, and officials said some 400 were missing.

Of more than 450 bodies recovered in Haiti, about 100 were found in the southern town of Grand Gosier, said Civil Protection Director Marie Alta Jean-Baptiste. Fifty more corpses were found elsewhere in Haiti, officials said.

In Fond Verrettes, more than 158 people were missing and presumed dead.

"The river took everything, there isn't anything left," said Jermanie Vulsont, a mother who said the rushing water swept away her five children in Fond Verrettes, about 35 miles southeast of Port-au-Prince.

Rushing waters and mudslides swept away most homes in Fond Verrettes, leaving it looking like a barren riverbed with stunned residents wandering about and asking troops for help.

"For a while we didn't even realize what we were standing on," said Lance Cpl. Justin Collins, 21, of Avon, Ill., one of about 20 U.S. Marines who went to help feed villagers. "We were standing on some parts of a neighborhood."

Other troops surveyed the damage in helicopters, accompanied by U.S. Sen. Mike DeWine, R-Ohio, said U.S. Marine Lt. Col. Dave Lapan, a spokesman. U.N. officials also flew in by helicopter to survey the damage, Lapan said.

The floods struck before dawn Monday while people were sleeping. In the Dominican border town of Jimani, Leonardo Novas awoke to the screams of his infant son while water rose in his wooden house. He huddled with his wife and three children, and shouted to his brother next door to stay inside, but it was too late.

The force of the mud took all but one wall of Novas' house.

"Everything's gone. My house and five family members," said Novas, 28, who watched his brother and the brother's family carried away in a torrent of mud.

Dominican authorities buried more than 250 bodies immediately, some where they were found and others in a mass grave. Authorities told families there was no time to identify many of the bodies because they were badly decomposed and posed health risks if moved.

Jimani, about 100 miles east of the Dominican capital of Santo Domingo, is inhabited mostly by Haitian migrants who work as vendors and sugar cane cutters. Dominican officials said some of the Haitians who lost relatives may have been living in the town illegally and were scared to identify bodies.

The death tolls have been high because the border area is largely deforested and many of the poor have built poorly constructed homes out of wood and tin. Hundreds of homes were destroyed on both sides of the border.

The floods were some of the deadliest in the region in recent years. In 1994, Tropical Storm Gordon (news - web sites) caused mudslides that buried at least 829 Haitians. As many as 15,000 people are estimated to have died in 1999 flooding and mudslides in Venezuela.

The Dominican government declared Jimani a disaster area, and President Hipolito Mejia said Thursday would be a national day of mourning.

"The damage and human losses have been of such magnitude," Mejia said in his declaration, adding that sending aid is of "high national interest."

___

Associated Press Writer Jose P. Monegro, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, contributed to this report.

Vic- the Headrush folks are gonna be 'round yo town this weekend. anything good going on?

also, is JZ still playing Sonar?

:hat:

this weekend? well DC will be slammed with the WWII Memorial dedication ceremony.

dj dan is at buzz on friday :vomit2:

there are a few local parties, but nothing big. nothing going on in Sonar, B'more either.

yeah, JZ is still schedueld for Sonar. They somehow got Sasha the day after he's in NY. Dunno if I will go.

Random -- I was bored and clicking through people's friends on Friendster and Hisham, Benke & Lizz all have James Zabiela linked as one of their friends -- too much -- can you say DJ Whores!

to me its kinda funny how some people are really hardcore about friendster and have like 300 people on their list. wtf?!

to me its kinda funny how some people are really hardcore about friendster and have like 300 people on their list. wtf?!

*LOL -- yeah, it's crazy. I hadn't checked the thing in months, but I got a PM from digital7 from Miami CP saying he added me like a month ago, so I logged on to add him as a friend & just noticed this funny looking blonde guy in his friends box w/ "James" above the picture.

this weekend? well DC will be slammed with the WWII Memorial dedication ceremony.

dj dan is at buzz on friday :vomit2:

there are a few local parties, but nothing big. nothing going on in Sonar, B'more either.

yeah, JZ is still schedueld for Sonar. They somehow got Sasha the day after he's in NY. Dunno if I will go.

thanks. i'll pass the info along.

why is JZ's Sonar date off of Balance?

i guess sasha is there b/c new glow won;t be done.

thanks. i'll pass the info along.

why is JZ's Sonar date off of Balance?

i guess sasha is there b/c new glow won;t be done.

we'll i'll double check about that. hopefully they havent taken him off.

yeah.

btw, what up w/ those man u. tickets?

*LOL -- yeah, it's crazy. I hadn't checked the thing in months, but I got a PM from digital7 from Miami CP saying he added me like a month ago, so I logged on to add him as a friend & just noticed this funny looking blonde guy in his friends box w/ "James" above the picture.

yeah, i was poking around on Friendster last night for the first time in months. some people are really serious about it. like 300-400 firends. i used to get friend requests all the time from totally random people. :rolleyes:

I just found out that we have to work on Monday --- it's considered an "optional floating Holiday" ---- well I opt out! *GRRRR* :mad: I hope I can get off, I'll be in Chicago......

when all else fails: call in sick.

PARTY AT YOUR DAD'S HOUSE!

I just like saying that --- that's my new response when people annoy me or I feel like being stupid.

Thomar: "Hey Joey where we going tonight?"

Joeygk: "Your Dad's House."

Thomar: "Where can I go to get some ointment for my Herpes?"

Thomar: "Where did all the strippers go?"

Thomar: "I have the perfect place to go hide out from my pimp!"

Joeygk: "Where, your Dad's House?"

Thomar: "Can I borrow some money to pay my bookie?"

Joeygk: "why don't you try your Dad's house."

:D the fun never stops @ your Dad's house!