Clubplanet Nightlife Community

BLOOMBERG: Budget plan targets narcotics enforcement

Finally maybe nyc is learning there are other things to blow money on then having 10 cops in a club all nite long!

By MICHAEL WEISSENSTEIN

The Associated Press

4/15/03 6:04 PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Firefighter and police unions charged Tuesday that the latest round of city budget cuts will leave New York more vulnerable to terrorists, arsonists and street criminals.

The police department is cutting $60 million worth of overtime for staffing at events like parades, narcotics enforcement programs and a vaunted Giuliani-era initiative credited with driving down street crime.

The Fire Department of New York is closing eight firehouses and reducing the number of firefighters from five to four on 60 engine companies citywide. Fire unions have long said that four-man teams can't battle fires quickly enough, putting firefighters' lives at risk.

Uniformed Fire Officers Association President Peter Gorman said Tuesday that reduced fire staffing would weaken the FDNY's response to a terror attack. "It makes about as much sense as cutting the 101st Airborne during the war in Iraq," he said.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced his budget plan Tuesday in a detailed address that accused fire and police unions of balking at concessions that would have helped avoid deeper cuts.

Nearly 200 civilians are being laid off from fire headquarters in Brooklyn, officials said, and 33 fire marshals are being reassigned to other duties. That leaves 83 marshals to investigate suspicious fires in the city.

"It won't take long for people to realize that New York City is an open target for arsonists," said Steven Cassidy, president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association.

The police department is cutting Operation Condor, which paid officers tens of millions of overtime dollars annually to work in high-crime areas on their days off. The program has been credited with helping drive down street crime to record lows.

"You're going to see an effect," said Ed Mullins, president of the Sergeants Benevolent Association. "Operation Condor had a big impact on reducing violent crimes."

Originally posted by BKDJ

AFTER MY FATHER WAS MURDERED THIS YEAR (ALONG WITH OTHER HIGH VOLUME CRIMES THAT WENT AROUND THE CITY) , I SAY THIS MAYOR IS A FUCKING IDIOT... CAN WE REVOLT??

Sorry to hear about your father. But then what should Bloomberg cut? Money doesn't grow on trees. No matter what he cuts, there will be angry people. NYC has a serious budget crisis that needs to be solved.

there was a lady on the news, she said she was a nyc teacher and would RATHER them make cuts into education/schools than to shut down the firehoues because doing so PUTS PEOPLES LIVES AT RISK! I agree with her...

This is not Bloomberg's fault dont blame him he is simply doing what has to be done. We are running on a 8 billion dollar deficit last i heard. Ask any finance, accounting, anything business related how to pull a corporation out of a deficit and they'll all give you the same answer... cut costs, thats what hes doing and this should have been done a long time ago. To tell you the truth i actually feel bad from Bloomberg considering hes taking all the heat that other city officials should have shared in. They simply sweeped it under the rug, smiled and pork-barreled their way through their terms.

Although I do not support everything that Bloomberg does. He is doing what he is doing to try and force the government to throw money towards the city.

As far as budget. Alot of things don't make sense... Some bridges are free throughout the city. I think they should start charging on those bridges. If people are affraid of traffic they should design an EZ pass system that can handle higher speeds. Secondly the Staten Island Ferry which carries over 35,000 passengers daily. Shit if they charge the same amount for the ferry as they do for the subway. $2.00 per ride instead of free. That alone is $70,000 a day in revenue. For it to be free in a city that is having budget problems and with the cost to run these boats it is rediculous. People are going to bash me for saying some bridges need tolls and the Ferry should charge again. I am sorry. But they are raising the fucking Verrazano bridge to $8.00 soon not sure what it will be with EZ pass. Mean while they don't charge on 3 other bridges throughout the city if not more. I am not sure. That is stupid. This city can make alot of revenue in so many different ways. Asshole Bloomberg decides to raise the city tax on cigarettes. What does this do. It drives people out of the city to buy cigarettes in other states. What happens. The city loses all that extra revenue. If they left the price at like $5.50 people would have stood in NY for there cigarettes and the taxes would have been a big help. If people want to kill themselves let them. Don't lay off thousands and thousands of City workers and try to be a health finatic at the same time. Be smart. Keep the business in NYC.

All in all there are many ways for this city to create revenue. And I think the asshole is going about it the wrong way.