Clubplanet Nightlife Community

PVD @ RoXy Review

Mixed Review

First time at Roxy, and have to say it is a great venue. Amazing system, and there is so much space. I would hate to see the place on a kind of off party tho, it must look real empty.

Luis Diaz put a solid opening set together, and then PVD came on and had no direction I agree.

3 tracks into "Another Way" ( that must have been for the people that bought his Global CD)

But I agree with Bugout that his set was going in all sorts of directions. Hard to trance to house to breaks, - his breaks were tight-and up and down.

Track ID on the song he played around 410 right after Madonna? And that "I know you want me" track was amazing too, I love how he brought it back later, that was tight.

The Dark Beat remix might be kinda cheesy but it was a good idea at the time, and Nothing But You sounds soooooooo good on a big system.

I still had a blast, and as someone that is starting to spin, I must admit that his mixing skills are amazing.

Tiesto will be great, but I don't like paying 40$ to hear his music selection, and he just mixes intro's and outro's.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo i had a blast last night. I stayed from 11 till 8 and the only time i wasnt really into the music was around 4 or so, it just wasnt flowin like usual. The last 3 hours were sick though. I dunno if anyone saw me last night, ive never met up with anyone on here before. I was a tall thin kid with bleached blonde hair no shirt and flared jeans.. My fav track was whatever he played right after Zurdo, does anyone know what that song was? Anyway if anyone is gettin together for tiesto, maybe we can meet up. Oh yea i got to meet him at the virgin megastore yesterday and got a picture with him and my friend. What a day

-peace

Originally posted by zeeker

It was so weird too...this was the most excited I have seen PVD in the times I have gone to hear him. Dancing around in the booth, smiling....but the crowd didn't seem to be reacting at all, for the most part. Then he would drop one of his anthems at some random time and the place would blow up. I don't get it.

How was the last hour btw? I assume he turned it up towards the end.

EXACTLY!

thats why i LOVED this set......i could feel HIS energy all night......the songs everyone "hated" actually seemed to have him the most pumped up.......when he dropped his anthems he looked so "disinterested", but i was up near the booth, and the other songs had him crazy jumpin...........

i guess that is why i loved his set.....it was so NOT "1998"! Something i have not hear from PVD in a long time.

I was actually getting frustrated with him for the past 3 times he was in NYC, but after SPACE, ULTRA, and last night, i LOVE his new style........

and to the no direction..........it seemed as though he was trying to build a peak and bring it down every couple of songs......i actually enjoyed it

pvd again was at this best. for those who hate his work, don't come out if you thought you had a bad experience. stay home so others can enjoy his music. and for those who can't afford $40, stay home please. we don't need kids in parties.

tijis, i will see you in may.

Originally posted by dirtycash18

pvd again was at this best. for those who hate his work, don't come out if you thought you had a bad experience. stay home so others can enjoy his music. and for those who can't afford $40, stay home please. we don't need kids in parties.

easy killa-- no one here said they hate his work

he's my #2 fav dj...he just had an off night--thats all.

I dunno how u can compare his set at Roxy to his sets at Space and Ultra--the two miami sets were awesome, ttHOSEEEE had a flow...but whatever, its a matter of opinion, Im glad u enjoyed him.

And PS--not only can these kids afford 40 dollars to get in, but judging from the crowd, they can also afford 20 xtra dollars for at least 1 pill

Hopefully Tiesto will be better but with Exit's demise on the horizon, Im fearing the scene on the 16th. But i'll deal.

Its TI ES TO

Mike Bugout

yeah, hi i'm not a kid. huge fan of pvd, but was not feeling the set. he WASN'T at his best...i felt like he was very up and down...one hard track, one trance, one break, one trance...very off...

you're right, people do have off nights, even great artists! i have to say the crowd was good last night. i myself stayed til 8 and most pple were still having a good time! This makes me feel good seeing pple having a blast. Also like to add, roxy definitely rocks over exit. i like that whole floor look. the stair climbing sux at exit, that is why i never get to the second level.

anyone going to acosta at exit?

you're right, people do have off nights, even great artists! i have to say the crowd was good last night. i myself stayed til 8 and most pple were still having a good time! This makes me feel good seeing pple having a blast. Also like to add, roxy definitely rocks over exit. i like that whole floor look. the stair climbing sux at exit, that is why i never get to the second level.

anyone going to acosta at exit?

Roxy toped it.....it was a great set

I absolutely love the dance floor.....

on an un-related note, made gained some respect from me on this one..........

Not only did they cut ticket prices,

but entry was a BREEZE in my opinon (best ever for me for a PVD show)

and security was not THAT tough on smoking (they would just say "put it out"), i smoked almost a whole pack on the floor, and only got told to put it out once

Non-Musically (besides the druggies), it was a great night..........

Originally posted by kendabrat

NYC is all about having variety.

so many good music out there.

you just have to find what you like.

I'm not really picky. as long as there're beats,

I'll be dancin'. ;)

I agree. Diaz ripped it last night!

last hour

luis diaz

RIPPPPPPPPPPED IT UPPPPPPPPP

Originally posted by bigsteve8

He's paul van fucking dyk. . . why the hell was he NOT playing trance? I just got pissed and left at 5:15. . .and I missed Dark Beat. If I had heard that, I woulda had to throw my water at his head.

I felt the same way.

I can deal with his change of style. I like when DJs switch it up, and play something different. If thats what he wants to do with his sets from now on, hey, go for it Paul. But I really wish I knew that before I paid my $40+ to get in, and another $80 or so on drinks.

just curious. by saying that there has to be a flow, what does that mean? some may refer to this as a "musical journey." i agree, it's nice feeling/hearing this natural build up in a dj's set, definitely.

HOWEVER, i don't think this is necessary all the time. i think PvD is trying to break out of his expected style -- the fluffy trance/anthems, the natural build ups, the signature beats we all know too well.

that said, i think he was on point. much better than the last time he was here in Feb. i actually hate hearing his own shit every time he spins, as i think he does it only to appease the masses.

just stating my opinion, as i do see how he seemed off. one more thing.. i just wanted all the heads that didn't show up to know you guys missed out on a f*ckin tight set. :aright:

nicely put. pvd did a nice job. maybe you're right, he wants to go to a different direction and change is always good! we don't want to hear the same old shit at clubs all the time do we?? with this said, let's wait until tijis comes to ny and put on a show for us. then we can have a debate!

I didn't dislike PVD's set last night. There were parts that I didn't like that much but he def played some hot tracks...especially the last 2 hours. That when he started playin all his trance tacks...Massive, I feel you, Yet another day, Aalto - rush, 4 x 4 - Ingido, and others that I don't remember right now. He even threw in Hydra - affinity and Velvet morning in the beginning (Awesome track which looks like its gonna be big....Ferry played it the week before at Exit and Armin plays it as well.) Also, now that I've been to SF and Exit more recently I realize how amazing the Phazon at Roxy is. Half the reason I had fun last night was because the system was sooooooooo good. I heard 4 x 4 - indigo last week at Exit and this week at Roxy and it sounded a ton better at Roxy.

I think the set was pretty good, i mean yeah he was jumping from genre to genre not knowing really what he wanted to play, Tiesto does that all the time.. too see how the crowd reacts. i mean hey listen trance isnt what it was in 98 its no Live at Innercity.. Its just getting harder and upbeat, I mean hey listen thats life, i love Music in general and the enviroment so to me, As long as i hear beats and i see beautiful women around me i can have a good time, Everyone on the board is just stating an opinion of what they thought of the nights, Thats the whole point of this Board is for other peoples input on the nights, Shiiit

No complaints here ever

ONLY COMPLAINT I HAVE IS !!!!FUCK EXIT!!!! FUCK!!! EXIT!!!!!

Originally posted by kitty19

just curious. by saying that there has to be a flow, what does that mean? some may refer to this as a "musical journey." i agree, it's nice feeling/hearing this natural build up in a dj's set, definitely.

HOWEVER, i don't think this is necessary all the time. i think PvD is trying to break out of his expected style -- the fluffy trance/anthems, the natural build ups, the signature beats we all know too well.

that said, i think he was on point. much better than the last time he was here in Feb. i actually hate hearing his own shit every time he spins, as i think he does it only to appease the masses.

just stating my opinion, as i do see how he seemed off. one more thing.. i just wanted all the heads that didn't show up to know you guys missed out on a f*ckin tight set. :aright:

Flow has to do with the DJ creating a "vibe" in the crowd. He knows exactly what track to play next to work the crowd the way he wants. If he feels the crowd is about to burst, he'll drop an anthem, if he feels the crowd is getting tired, he'll slow it down, if he feels the crowd starting to get some energy, he'll put some driving beats or riffs to get the crowd to the point of bursting. The DJ has to be able to do this all night, judging the crowd, judging the vibe and working the crowd like clay. Very few DJ's are able to do this. But its the few DJs out there that can do this on a regular basis that are on top.

I didn't go last night, but I predicted he would play a pretty hard set. That's how its always been. He played a softer set in Feb 2003, so you expect a harder set the next time around. Ppl complained that he was too soft in Feb, now they complain it was too hard...go figure.

Btw, he had the same pattern back in 2002, when he played softer at SF but played harder at Exit.