Clubplanet Nightlife Community

93.1 miami's #1 party station? riiiiiight

iriechic305

93.1 <~ not only is their play list REPETITIVE, but the songs they put on the airwaves.. CMOOOON.. It's GARBAGE!! I just finished listening to REMIXes of such songs you would find on power96 (another crappy station) with the techno/trance/dance 'thump- thump-thump-thump' beat in the background: Justin Timberlake's 'Rock your Body' , Christina Aguilera's 'Beautiful' , oh.. and the worst one to date.. 50 cent's 'In da Club' REMIX <~ what the hell was that?! :laugh: :laugh:

seriously.. i think magic102.7 is miami's #1 party station! :rofl:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by iriechic305

93.1 <~ not only is their play list REPETITIVE, but the songs they put on the airwaves.. CMOOOON.. It's GARBAGE!! I just finished listening to REMIXes of such songs you would find on power96 (another crappy station) with the techno/trance/dance 'thump- thump-thump-thump' beat in the background: Justin Timberlake's 'Rock your Body' , Christina Aguilera's 'Beautiful' , oh.. and the worst one to date.. 50 cent's 'In da Club' REMIX <~ what the hell was that?! :laugh: :laugh:

seriously.. i think magic102.7 is miami's #1 party station! :rofl:

Riiiiight actually why don't they just switch 93.1 back to their old format of Classic Music like mozart lol.....their day time selection is rather bad, only on late night like 2am when they play some nice sets other than that yeup mostly garbage.:(

When the station first opened up, there was an article in the new times that interviewed the program cordinater, and his response to the cheesy playlist etc... was that they do not intend to be on top of dance music as it evolves, but to cater to a broader audience by playing easier to listen to electronic music, and less commercials!!!

if that was the case, they are doing a horrible job, since there is soooooo many songs that they could be playing that a 35 yr old teacher could enjoy!!!!

they also make me sick on how they concetrate counting how many commercials power and y100 play, rather than keeping track how many times they played perpetuous dreamer- sound of goodbye etc....

they also need some personality on the show, that isnt so corny as natalia or buster!!!!(His name fits him well though)

The only thing that station has going for them is the global broadcast on sundays, which is obviously not enough....

With the amount of talented local dj's we have here, they could have a show 7 days a week!!!!:mad:

i understand the stations choice to be more commercialized, which i understand for business sake, but they could do a better job of teaching listeners dance music, who dont know any better=)

they still new and low budget they cant afford radio personality and quite honestly thank god they dont have any cause they suck too..

they dont have as many commercials as 95 and y100 but they sure do announce how many times others play the commercial like every damn song the put a plug..

damn right beatfreak..

i honestly glad they dont play up to date music because it takes away from US.

why should we go to space and other clubs when we can sit home and listen to the same music in our own enviornment..

i just wish clubs would respect the clubbers more and not hire 93.1 to broadcast live from the club because we go there simply for the fact we cant get what u previde anywhere else and if ur gonna give it away on the radio then why even go and spend money in ur club

it's true, they can't afford the dj's we wanna hear. i mean we can barely afford to see the dj's we wanna see at clubs anymore.

their getting started. it takes time & $$$. i mean what other stations are u gonna put it on? u have ur cd's but i've heard alot of people, old & young, who say they like 93.1. the music actually makes people fee good. it doesn't degrade women, talk about guns, capping niggas up, it's happy sounds.

I'll give 'em that much...depending on the DJ, the live broadcast is a good thing. Back when they did Space, it was the only chance you'd hear DJs like Tom Stephan, Anthony Pappa, Danny Howells, Oscar, Roland, or Edgar on the radio.

disney owns the station. need I say more?

OK, I'll say a little more. 93.1 is the absolutely worst, play the same ass songs, sorry excuse for a radio station I have ever heard.

Radio has the power to teach and share the area with the beautiful gift of music. Instead its the same old bull shit I used to hear in Tampa 2 1/2 years ago. If I had a radio station, I could make it profitable and hold clout.

The thing is radio stations like 93.1 sell commercials. If they had a REAL programm manager and more importantly a special events coordinator to work on different revenue options, helped by the radio station, they could make it. It won't happen though ever with clear channel, cox or disney. They all have no clue. They gladly take peoples money to promote an event or a club night, but they have no interest. They take the cash and that's it.

Best stations in the US are KCRW in LA, WNYU in NYC & WMNF in Tampa, all are commercial free radio stations with listener support, corporate underwriting AND they all throw parties.

Does anyone know anyone with 4 million dollars to buy a radio station? If you do, let me know. We can change the world! Well Miami, anyways.

Joe Budious

93.1 had a chance to make a positive change to Miami radio ... and they blew it. Just because they're commercial, that doesn't mean they have to repeat the same setlist every hour day after day. All anyone needs to do is check out Radio 1 in the UK to see how a real radio station should be run ... good specialty shows every night of the week, plus live broadcasts from different venues with different styles, presenting new content without assuming the audience is ignorant or can't appreciate something different.

The only thing I can say about 93.1 is that they're doing dance music like an American corporation would be expected to do it ... dumb down the product to the least common denominator and push more hype than substance. I know so many DJs who contacted the station early on, volunteering to do specialty shows *for free* just to get a chance to push some new music, and were denied. It's not about the money, it's about getting good music out there for people to hear. From what I understand the daily rotation is just a programmed set downloaded off satellite anyways.

Oh well, thank god I can still put a CD into my player as lextcy suggested! :D

If only it were that simple. I didn't wanna get into this whole debate, but it looks like I'm about to change that.

Let me ask you a real question - how many people live in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-West Palm Beach area? Somewhere around 4.5 million people. Out of those people how many do you think really understand Dance music, and are seen as purists?

Now add in the dividing lines of what adults see as Dance music versus a younger audience, or the people who only listen to one genre such as Progressive House, or Breaks.

4 million dollars will get you NOWHERE in Miami. This is a major city. Multiply that number by 25 to get an understanding of what kind of investment it takes to buy a powerful, LEGAL FM station in South FL.

WMNF Tampa is a nice station, but other than Jask's show that airs at 2 AM on Saturday nights, and a Thursday night local Breakbeat show that runs for 2 hours from 9-11 PM, what else is so Dance friendly about that station? They play a lot of Bluegrass, Adult rock, Folk, MOR, and other styles of music that hardly attract and excite the audience at large. You can say the same for WNYU New York.

KCRW is a bit more unique and is better programmed, but the majority of its listeners are definitely not the Dance crowd.

Then you gotta look into what the domestic record labels are servicing American radio stations, what the popular/mass appeal trends are in a market, whats charting, whats selling, what Dance records are big on the Pop charts overseas, and then you can also factor in clubs (both mainstream and underground), local artists, etc.

Sorry but commercial FM radio tends to sound very, ummm, commercial.

BBC Radio 1 is owned by the government, is commercial free, and is therefore able to get away with a lot of things Party won't be able to do (not yet). And yet Radio 1 is a Pop station on most days, not a Dance station. It's also located in England, which is a much more Dance friendly country and a more sophisticated market that has pretty much seen it all.

Now look at the playlist for London's "Dance" station Kiss 100 - does it look like a pure Dance station?:

http://www.kiss100.co.uk/nav?page=kiss.page&fixture_page=107810&resource=107810

The station has evolved into much more of a Pop station in recent months, going up against London's heritage Top 40 station, 95.8 Capital FM. Yeah, Kiss still has some great nightly and weekly Dance specialty shows, but how long has Kiss been around? How long has Party been around? Who has the better club scene- Miami or London (please don't answer Miami LOL).

What about New York? Is WKTU better than Party? They're even more commercial and Pop based. They're also one of the highest billing radio stations in the country.

Chicago's suburban Dance station, Energy 92.5&7 is now a Spanish station, Austin's Mega 93.3 is now much more about Hip Hop than it is Dance, L.A.'s 103.1 KDL can only be heard in parts of that city, and a lot of other cities don't even have a Dance station.

Seattle has a non commercial Dance station called C-89.5 that covers the entire metro area, but is their playlist that much more advanced, or more "quality" driven?:

http://www.c895fm.com/2001/top40hits.asp

Paris has a Dance station, but it plays some Hip Hop, and is seen as too focused on Disco House, and too "gay" for part of the bigger audience.

Amsterdam doesn't have a Dance station. ID&T Radio can only be heard through cable.

Berlin? No Dance station over there. The only real Dance station in Germany is Sunshine Live, which can't be hard in Munich or Frankfurt, but rather in Stuttgart and the sorrounding area. I love some of the station's specialty shows, but is their playlist better in your eyes?:

http://www.sunshine-live.de/core/sslcharts.php

Toronto used to have a station called energy 108 that later became a Pop station, and is now a Country station I believe. They still have Z-103.5, but they're far from being pure Dance:

http://www.z1035.com/countdowns.html

So whats up with all this talk of how Party 93.1 is supposedly the worst radio station in the world? Do you guys even know what a really bad station sounds like? Are the stations in BFE Montana better and more interesting? Perhaps the FM radio dial in Iraq is more promising to you?

I guess it's so easy to program a Dance station, and that Cox are so clueless, that every city but Miami can boast of having a "real" Dance station...

What you people seem so hung up on is FM. FM is outdated. Party 93, WKTU, the whole lot of them are holdovers from the last century.

The technology exists for those of us who want to, to create a station that plays 'pure' dance tracks, without having to deal with playlists and payola bullshit from the record labels.

Option 1: XM/Sirius/the European-Asian satellite radio. A young technology requiring a small monthly subscription as well as new hardware, satellite radio is generally uncensored and commercial free. XM has 2 or 3 dance stations alone, playing sets from everyone from John Digweed, to relative unknowns. Sirius has six dedicated dance stations that do everything from house to drum n bass. Sound quality is better, too...roughly MP3 quality.

Eventually a standard for sat broadcasts will be possible, and automakers are already tossing in XM or Sirius receivers in cars...and you can get add on units for under 200 bucks.

Option 2: Shoutcast/any form of internet streaming. Established on desktops around the world already, with millions of listeners. Service is often free. The tricky part is going mobile. Limited (56K) mobile internet service exists in most places, with only big cities having a decent (144K) mobile service, and like cell phones in the 80s, there's plenty of places that it just ain't possible yet. Eventually you'll have mobile broadband via satellite or terrestrial transmitter, but that's a couple of years off. Of course you pay for the mobile internet service...

What I'm pretty much saying is that FM radio is dead. When I did drive, the radio was never on, I had a pile of CDs and such in my backseat (Nick was heard to comment "What a mess, I think I found a small Peruvian gentleman back here!") that kept me quite happy when stuck in traffic. Sure my car was a piece of shit, but I probably had the best music selection of any car stuck on 836 at 5 PM. So for now, just keep on downloading sets, burning 'em to CD :)

In a year or two, I forsee a good percentage of this board having XM radios in their cars, and wondering why they bitched about the shitty FM stations in the first place.

Originally posted by mrjoebudious

Does anyone know anyone with 4 million dollars to buy a radio station? If you do, let me know. We can change the world! Well Miami, anyways.

Joe Budious

Yeah, if it was only that cheap!!

Joe B, I'm with ya if you can find something for 4 mil, but Cox radio paid $100 million for WPYM, better known as Party 93.1. Check out the article below.

Miami Herald Article

Yo CHRles,

I actually didn't clarify that all those stations are not pure dance stations. I know that a pure dance station would not work. Diversity is the key. KCRW does alot of kinds of music as does wmnf. That is how I would do it. It broadens that listner base.

If you get a chance check out metropolis on www.kcrw.org . Jason Bently, who I used to listen to when I lived in LA 10 years ago is still at it. Its nice, they play all kinds of dance music (mixed up) on that show.

Once again, any super-silver spooners in the house?

jn

Im big into radio....and radio is alot of charts and what the sponsers and record companies want out there....listen to me radio wil change when they r forced to go digital...until then we have to dea with the crap that is miami radio....and the mest up thing is that we r considerd the most unique and diverse market in all of the u.s....that is bcuz things that litterally work everywhere else in the nation, never work hear...no 1 knows y but its been proven over and over...and yes i know we have a diverse culture but we hear the same songs the rest of the nations hear....so until igital is a reality which it will be the fcc is mandating it in a couple of ears....we gotta deal with the crap we have....so go put in a c.d.....p.s.....u may be able to buy an a.m. station for 4 million...the going rate for a station in the miami market is over 100 million dollars.

CHRLes ... we're not saying that 93.1 should change it's format to all underground dance music all the time, what we're saying is that they would get a better rep if they changed up the format a bit in the evenings and on the week-ends. Sure, during the day and rush hour they can play the same rotation they play now, and hit most of the cross-over audience you suggest is their main cash cow. But, if they started some specialty shows in the evenings, like say 9pm to 2am every night and did something different, their rep with the "educated listeners" would be much higher, and thus the station would keep it's edge that it needs to truly be The Party Station they claim to be. Everyone knows the best parties are underground and on the bleeding edge of culture.

I gave that station a chance for many months, and listened to it every day during the ride to and from work, and it just got on my nerves. People I know who aren't even into dance music all that much, but at least like to go clubbing a couple of times a month say the same thing, "That station plays the same damn songs every hour." If they get sick of it, how long does the station expect their real hardcore audience to stick around?

All we're asking for is a little variety with some good live DJs, nothing extreme. Put a d'n'b show on monday night, deep house on tuesday, broken beat/new jazz on wednesdays, breakbeat/garage on thursdays, techno on Fridays, and trance on Saturdays and they'd have it covered. Bring in a good host for each specialty show, rotate out the guest DJS, and the quality of that station would increase. I did it for 7 years in College radio as a RPM director ... it's not that hard to organize!

I feel what you're saying tsheritage, and no I don't think organizing it would be that hard, but I think we sometimes overestimate the audience at large.

As weird as it may sound to some on this board, even Oakie's show on Sunday nights is seen by many of Party's and the mainstream Dance listeners at large as "too underground". They would probably just prefer Party would go back to regular rotation in those hours and play the same songs again and again. So it's really moreso the listeners "fault" than it is the station. The staff at that radio station would probably be all for as much diversity and as many good quality shows as possible, but the station's audience is much bigger than the staff, the members of CP, part of the Miami club scene, and other big Dance fans.

Still cool ideas their with those weekly shows. Maybe some of them will see the light of day in the end. I think a New Jazz/Broken Beat show could work on a couple of stations in Miami on a weekly basis, perhaps for an hour or two on a Sunday night (the night to unwind), maybe have an hours worth of Techno on Monday, Breaks on Tuesday, an hour of classics on Wednesday, and so on, or maybe just run a repeat of the Global DJ Broadcast (split it up, and play an hour's worth every night), as well as some of other shows like those hosted by George Alvarado and Paul Elalouf, DJ Concept, etc.

The thing is, Party 93.1's already got the night hours filled up with live remotes from clubs, and I'm guessing those nights are going pretty well for the station and for the clubs involved.

It's different with a college station, b/c a wide variety of prgrams is often the norm, but on commercial radio, especially in the States that doesn't seem to be the case.

Joebudious, yes Jason Bentley's show is well known and well respected. He must be doing something right at KCRW if he's been there for a decade :)

Originally posted by pod

It's not gonna happen on 93.1, that's for sure. FM is dead.

The problem with commercial radio is that the same companies own the majority of all stations in every market. The biggest are Clear Channel and Cox Radio Communications. This in turn produces crapy radio, no variety. Some guy in corporate office says "I like this song. Play it!" You can basically go to any major city market and you wouldn't know you were away from home. Same music styles, playlists and again no variety.

Commerical radio is for the average Joe who enjoys to hear a good "commercial" tune whenever he/she is in the car, office, etc.

If you want to hear good music of any genre, your best bet is to do research on the internet and buy some CD's of a particular group [or make your own ;)]

Basically, most of the time you won't get to listen to what YOU really want to hear on the radio, plain and simple, if you are a "hardcore" music fan of a particular genre of music.

As for Party 93.1, they had a chance to change radio here in Miami in regards to "dance" music. They had the chance and blew it. In a way, it's not their fault. It goes back to the owners of the radio stations. The same 2 or 3 companies own the majority of stations and that in turn screws everything up. Corporate says to play this, they play it and not much can be done.

So basically all this means: Radio sucks! The way to go: Internet, MP3's, CD's, pirate radio :devil:

My 2 cents...

hum.... commerical radio sucks....

I don't think 93.1 Really cares, I am sure they get alot of emails and phone calls about the programming and suggestion of music to play but they won't do it.

Any if we power up a pirate radio station they will send an arm after us.

When we used to do GrooveRadio 107.1FM we had alot of people backing us up. Then 93.1 Came and flocked over to them, but now I get email every other day about putting GrooveRadio Miami 107.1 FM back with real music....

We are working in something.! ;)

but if we flip the switch, 93.1 is not going to be happy.