Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Orlando Authorities Move To Outlaw Dancing in Florida

rachel1997

This has very big implications! Any thoughts?

Orlando Authorities Move To Outlaw Dancing in Florida

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new chairman of Orange County, Rich Crotty, has called for a 9 month ban on dancing at any new clubs opening in the Florida region, ‘to stomp out drug-plagued rave parties’, the Orlando Sentinel reported this week. If the new laws are approved, country & western saloons, neighbourhood bars and live venues will be affected, the Sentinel said, though ‘the real target is rave clubs, the all-night party spots where dancing, pulsating music and strobe lights are often combined with recreational drugs.’ “We will not let parts of Orange County be transformed into Rave Street Central,” 52 year old Crotty told a press conference this week, as he outlined the vision behind his ‘Dance Hall Moratorium’.

‘Crotty’s salvo was merely the latest, most extreme measure in Central Florida’s ongoing crusade against youth-targeted nightlife, a wrong headed jihad passed off as a high stakes battle in the war on drugs,’ The Orlando Weekly complained in a detailed attack on the proposals. “For years the bogeyman of underage addiction has been used as a wedge… But the ordinance was a notably backwards approach to the alleged crisis: If you can’t stop the drugs, it seemed to argue, you sure can stop the dancing. In most civilised communities, this sort of harassment is the province of organised crime, but leave it to Orange County to be behind the learning curve.”

The move to ban dancing in Orange County reflects the increasing demonisation of ‘raves’ by US authorities, which could have serious implications for the country’s entire club scene. Speakers at last week’s “State Of Ecstasy Conference” (see below) e addressed the issue explicitly, Salon Technology writer Janelle Brown reported.

“Ecstasy has become a cultural touchstone, much like crack in the 1980s and LSD in the 1960s and '70s,” she said. “Rave promoters in New Orleans are facing felony charges under ancient crack house laws; the DEA wants to increase punishments for MDMA users and dealers to levels comparable with heroin; and any legitimate research into ecstasy's positive effects is being swiftly squelched.”

To contact Orange County Chairman Richard Crotty”

phone: 001 407-836-7370 or by email: chairman@co.orange.fl.us

------------------

ani_twee.gif

"I OWN DJ Mike D'R. NOW"

DarthTweetz.jpg

yeah i actuallly read about this. i can't believe it. they already moved up the time for a club's closing to 2 o'clock (i think) a couple of years ago and now they want to ban dancing completely? that's rediculous. it's just going to bring about underground parties. which doesn't sound bad, but arrests will be inevitable.

granted there are drugs in all parties. but not all are ON drugs. people just want to go out, dance and have fun. so they want to take THAT away from our youth? i'd rather have them in a club than out on the streets, or even at parties where there is NO supervision. this just spells disaster if u ask me.

------------------

I've got the beat...the one for your mind as well as your feet!

AIM: Phatskils2

What pisses me off is....

All these old farts, who have Already Had Their fun are trying to stop others....

Most of the politicians that are passing these laws are members of Club Rehab (if you know what I mean)

Damn!!!!! Look at our own President !?!?!

To make it worse the gov'mt. makes more money off the "war on drugs" than anything else including taxes...

*******Disposable Heroes of Hypocrisy********

Hey you all!

What you all are fearing i already experienced! Im originally from Stockholm, Sweden and in the early 90's the underground dance music scene was at is peak. We had all the biggest DJs from all around the world flying in to spin their music, just like here right now, in Florida! Onfortunately when the Government found out about what some people were doing at some of the events, they put together this special police force to fight the drugs! For about two years, every single event that included some kind of electronic music, were busted by police and shut down. The motives used were that just a tiny part of all the people there dancing, were under influence by some kind of drug. The scene that we had, suffered tremendously and still 10 years later hasn't recovered! I dont think it will ever go this far here in the US, but im telling you, watch out!!!!!! These f*cking old bastardos doesnt know shit about what the music and everything that comes with it is all about! So i repeat, watch out!!!! When i arrived in Miami three years ago, what i loved the most was being able to enjoy the music i have a great desire for, in the right environment. And you people here in Florida still give me what i want! So, keep up the good work, but as i sad be aware!!!!

Peace

THEY CAN'T BE SERIOUS! I thought Florida at least would be immune to this stupidity.

Here in Cleveland, things are stagnant ever since we lost a very wonderful place called Aqua last year. I can't believe that Orange County is falling for the overhyped newsmagazine scare tactics. It's disgusting. Next thing, MiamiDade South Beach will resemble one of those expensive malls, with Crobar and Bash replaced by Lord & Taylor and Marshall Field's--or worse yet, Wallgreens and Old Navy (!) cwm23.gif

What is happening to American nightcrawling?

------------------

Erick Adam "E-rock" Sanders

• 3 weeks later...

Archived