Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Do you support drilling in Alaska...

I do support it, but I think it's only a bandaid on a much bigger problem. The world's existing oil reserves are expected to be completely depleted sometime this century. Some Middle Eastern countries may even deplete their reserves in the next 10-15 years, which is going to lead to sky high oil prices and will wreak havoc on our oil-dependent economy.

We need to put more effort into alternative fuel sources, like ethanol and hemp, which are extremely efficient and clean burning fuel sources. Hemp oil can even be used in current unmodified diesel engines. I'd much rather we put more energy into alternative fuels than drill in Alaska, but as part of our overall strategy, I'm all for drilling in Alaska in order to buy us some more time.

my answer in short: i don't support it

drilling anwr will not do anything except mess up alaska...

and for all of you that are so ready to jump on my post because i'm a "liberal"...

my opinion is based on facts...

facts that came from gov't agencies (funny huh)...

The Arctic refuge would provide less than a six-month supply of oil - which would not be available for ten years. According to the 1998 U.S. Geological Survey study, the mean estimate of economically recoverable oil from the Arctic refuge is 3.2 - 5.2 billion barrels. This is equivalent to the amount of oil the U.S. consumes in about six months. According to the Congressional Research Service, production from the Arctic refuge would not come on line for ten years or more (RS21030, October, 1, 2001).

The much higher figure of 10.4 billion barrels of available oil often quoted by the Bush Administration and others refers to the estimated amount of technically (not economically) recoverable oil in the coastal plain of Arctic refuge. Even using this inflated estimate, the Arctic refuge would provide less than one year of oil for the U.S.

The Arctic refuge would not reduce U.S. dependence on foreign oil. According to a March 12, 2001 report issued by the Energy Information Administration (EIA), "the increased production from the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is projected to reduce the net share of foreign oil used by the U.S. in 2020 from 62 percent to 60 percent."

oh and let's see how messed up our economy and country are:

The U.S. has approximately three percent of the world's oil reserve but consumes 25 percent of the world's oil.

so why keep pushing the dependence of our country on oil, when other alternatives that could free us from dependence are available?...

can you say "big companies and corrupted politicians"...

hemp is a great alternative...it much better for the environment...does not entail drastic changes like hydrogen and other long term solutions do...

and to top it all of, it would greatly help with reforestation...

but are we moving towards that?...

no...instead, we're invading iraq (only the 2nd largest oil reserve in the world)...

don't think hemp can work?...

it does...right now...

check out the hempcar...

but instead of that what does our great gov't do?...

well since bush's got in power, the dea has passed a ban on the use of hemp oil in the food industry...

but the war on drugs is a whole other story...

say we do drill in alaska, who said we're going to get the oil???

private corporations are doing the drilling, and they have the right to sell the oil to the highest bidder. other countries will also compete for this oil, and they can outbid us.

the oil amount is limited there, and it will take some time before things get established. this is going to make the cost of extracting the oil higher, making the prices higher. as result it is the corporations that profit and not the american people.

Originally posted by mr mahs

We grow more and more dependent on foreign oil every day.. If you do support the drilling of Alaska please list why and if are dead against it please explain why you object..

I object primarily because it destroys the environment. Further it does not take into account the damaging effects on future generations. We know now what we did not know in the past and refusing to acknowledge it is irresponsible. Government should take initiative to implement plans that take into consideration today's world as well as the one our children will live in tomorrow. Programs should be made to educate and lessen the use of such exhaustible natural resources. Technology and engineering should aim into alleviate the ever growing dependency on it. However as history has shown what should be done is rarely what happens. And people seem to sweep the problem under the carpet. Maybe inaction will turn to action once glaciers are floating by the beaches in the carribean???