Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Attn: Cookie

this guy is trying to ban Oreo COOKIES in California! WTF?

SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- A lawyer who has spent much of his life enjoying Oreo cookies has sued Kraft Foods Inc. seeking to ban the much-loved cookies in California because they contain trans fat, an ingredient he calls inedible.

Kraft boasts that people have eaten 450 billion Oreo cookies since they introduced the chocolate wafer sandwich cookies with a creamy filling in 1912.

But if British-born attorney Stephen Joseph has his way, that culinary love affair will come to an end, at least until Kraft stops using hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils to make the cookies.

Kraft calls the suit filed in Marin County Superior Court just north of San Francisco baseless but Joseph says he is taking advantage of a provision of the California civil code that holds manufacturers liable for common products if not "known to be unsafe by the ordinary consumer."

The ingredient is used in thousands and thousands of products. In an interview on Monday, Joseph said, "I am probably full of hydrogenated fat because until two years ago I didn't know about it. I resent the fact that I have been eating that stuff all my life."

Hydrogenation adds hydrogen gas to vegetable oil, helping to solidify it into products such as margarine. Health experts say the process makes them as unhealthy as real butter, if not more so, as the hydrogenated fats act like cholesterol in the body. Trans fats are common in cookies and crackers and part of both the cookie and filling in Oreos.

Originally posted by cookiegirl

It's a sad day in Cookie Land. :cry:

I could go on and on about the ridiculousness of suing food companies b/c you can't control yourself . . . :blown:

i thought the same about cigarette companies..although you dont have secondary smoke to deal with w/ the oreos.

dunno, but i think it wont go through, there was a similar case against mcdonalds i recall a year or so ago about them propagating obesity among kids. wtf?

Originally posted by vicman

i thought the same about cigarette companies..although you dont have secondary smoke to deal with w/ the oreos.

dunno, but i think it wont go through, there was a similar case against mcdonalds i recall a year or so ago about them propagating obesity among kids. wtf?

oh the whole thing is ludacris. And whoever came up with McDonald's/obesity thing.... "GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND MAKE YOUR KIDS A DECENT MEAL" haha :D

I'm pretty sure that lawsuit against Mickey D's was thrown out. Thank God. But check out this one! :rofl:

Michigan Man Sues McDonald's for $25,000

DETROIT - A man is suing fast-food giant McDonald's after allegedly biting into a piece of already chewed gum in a salad.

In a lawsuit filed in Wayne County Circuit Court, Joseph Taylor says the Feb. 26 incident has caused him "mental anguish, humiliation, embarrassment, and pain and suffering and loss of appetite." He has sought medical attention, according to the lawsuit.

Taylor also said he fears he may have contracted AIDS or hepatitis, the Detroit Free Press reported Wednesday.

The assistant manager of the restaurant, Amit Kumar, said McDonald's insurance company is handling the lawsuit.

The lawsuit states Taylor was eating a salad at a McDonald's on the Wayne State University campus when he "discovered a foreign object in his mouth that had already been chewed by someone else." He is seeking damages of more than $25,000.

I'm pretty sure that lawsuit against Mickey D's was thrown out. Thank God. But check out this one! :rofl:

DETROIT - A man is suing fast-food giant McDonald's after allegedly biting into a piece of already chewed gum in a salad.

In a lawsuit filed in Wayne County Circuit Court, Joseph Taylor says the Feb. 26 incident has caused him "mental anguish, humiliation, embarrassment, and pain and suffering and loss of appetite." He has sought medical attention, according to the lawsuit.

Taylor also said he fears he may have contracted AIDS or hepatitis, the Detroit Free Press reported Wednesday.

The assistant manager of the restaurant, Amit Kumar, said McDonald's insurance company is handling the lawsuit.

The lawsuit states Taylor was eating a salad at a McDonald's on the Wayne State University campus when he "discovered a foreign object in his mouth that had already been chewed by someone else." He is seeking damages of more than $25,000.

I wish being stupid were a crime, and that it was punishable by the death penalty. I hate stupid people. I really do.

OMG..obviously this guy is a jerk. AIDS through chewing a piece of previously chewed gum? thats a new one.

that "mental and emotional anguish" shit always makes me lmfao. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

I wish being stupid were a crime, and that it was punishable by the death penalty. I hate stupid people. I really do.

sue that guy by saying his lawsuit caused you "mental and emotional anguish"

AIDS? Is he serious?

My sister found one of those heavy duty staples in a piece of chicken she was eating at the Carlyle Grand in Arlington.

oh and like 10 years ago I saw a rat in Bob's Big Boy on Route 1 near Beacon Hill Mall... um, I don't know if its there anymore (the restaurant, not the rat)

Originally posted by nourishment

The stuff you know about isn't have as bad as what restaurant staff can do to your food on purpose and that you'll never notice.

Yeah watch out for this guy near your soup. . .

fc.jpg

I had a couple nice black hairs in my huevos rancheros in San Diego once. :puke: