Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Jonathan Lisle at NERVE June 6?

illuminaughty

Originally posted by illuminaughty

i guess it's not happening either nobody know or doesn't care....

Not for nothing, but I don't think it would work. He's fairly new on the scene, and would definitely be best suited as an opener for someone a bit more notorious, say a certain other DJ from that neck of the woods, since they've played together before.

I guess some of you know/heard Jonathan Lisle ... and others would simply love to see him ...

Jonathan will be in Miami this Friday June 6th ... those who know him or know P:M Sessions will know when ... and where ... I'll keep you guys posted .... :eek:

As for now ... just have your brains in some much needed rest ... Jonathan will blow you away :D

Jonathan Lisle’s “Regime Change†is a true masterpiece mix ... ever since the first time I heard it ... gave me those goosebumps few mixes have ever given me ...

His exquisite track selection and superb mixing skills are trully that of a surgeon ...

he plays with your head and your emotions in a journey of melodic beats and then

again uplifts you with the right amount of breaks ... an experience few djs can so

seriously provide ...

If you guys have access to soulseek ... look for “Regime Change†or his “Bedrock

Brighton Warm-up session of November 1st, 2002†... you will understand what I

mean if you weren’t lucky enough to catch him live during WMC ... his closing set at

the P:M Sessions WMC party is still one of my favorite ever closing sets ...

The following is a review of his “Regime Change†mix ... the author, KS, came close

to giving Jonathan the right credit ... he came short thou ... enjoy ...

+++++++++++++++++

"I am fortunate to have heard this mix 10 or 12 times through now – and

whilst that is not my point it does raise one issue that needs quickly dealing with.

Jonathan and I are friends. We have been for 2 years. We met through a message

board and cemented our friendship through, discovering we’ve been at the same

(Sasha) parties over the last 10 years, acknowledging NE 2 disc 1 as THE god to be

worshipped, and a shared passion for ‘emotional’ breakbeat music. Every now and

again Jonathan puts together a mix CD – and I’m often amongst the first to hear

them. On only two previous occasions, “Loose Cannon†and “Bedrock 3rd Birthday 3

deck edit,†have I ‘gone public’ and written ‘reviews’ of his mixes – no matter how

good subsequent CDs have been I’ve felt it best to let others give their opinions on

them. Well, “Regime Change†forces my hand I’m afraid – and if anyone wants to

question whether I write what follows simply because I’m biased then they are

welcome to try……………..

“Regime Change†is the mix equivalent of Seb Coe’s 800 metre world record run in

1981 – it has shifted the standard up again – and similarly not by mere fractions of a

second. This has smashed the previous best. This really has upped the ante, raised

the bar, increased the stakes etc. Fvcking hell folks.

It is only 45 minutes long – Jonathan did this mix because he was short-listed in the

‘best breakbeat DJ’ category at the recent ‘BreaksPoll’ awards – every nominee was

asked to submit a 45 minute mix with the winners’ mix being broadcast on Radio 1.

So we’re not talking about a long mix here. But what we are talking about is regime

change.

Regime change is a ‘buzz phrase’ coined recently by the press to describe the not

particularly hidden intentions of the ‘Coalition of the Willing’ who are poised to

impose their will on the nation and people of Iraq. We in the West are once more

about to be treated to nightly bulletins (no pun intended) detailing how the innocent

brave of the Coalition are doing in their mission to overpower the innocent brave of

Iraq. Presumably the improvement in technology since ‘Desert Storm’ will now

enable us to see in ‘Super Slow Motion’ as another of our missiles finds it ‘target’ –

and presumably this time around, from your own choice of camera angle ? Maybe, if

they borrow some of the technology of our sports broadcasters, we’ll be able to see

how fast the missile was going when it struck and what would have happened if it

had struck the intended target and not one of our own ‘installations’. Maybe even

phone voting for ‘explosion of the day’ …….. ?

No matter – regime change is on the collective agenda big time. And ‘Regime

Change’ sums it up to a fvcking tee. Mix CD’s need good tunes on them – check;

they need good programming of those tunes – check; they need those tunes to be

well mixed – CHECK; and then, if you’re really, really lucky they will have an

underlying mood that gives context to the tunes, programming and mixing. BANG –

‘REGIME CHANGE’.

Sinister keys and sweeps bring you to an affected female vocal that utters, “‘there

will be no Armageddon; there will be no sudden ending; we will see our children

grow; and theirs grow after them; for 50 years we have waited the future with a

mounting sense of fear; our path to the next Millennium seemed certain to be lit by

the bright lights of a nuclear conflagration; but now as we raise our eyes we see

………………………………. and her sentence stretches out for the next 45 minutes.

So what do ‘we see’ ? Well the world of ‘Regime Change’ is a dark one. It holds up a

mirror to the current state of global tension and demands that you listen to the

reflection. The backward loops played early on hint at both familiarity and

discomfort. Then we’re into three copies of a very dark mood indeed – ‘annihilating’

clashes in your ears with the earlier female vocal reassuring that ‘there will be no

conflict’ – the two voices argue – ‘annihilating’ vs ‘no conflict’ – again and again. And

again. And three copies of the same record spin in phased phrase almost

insignificantly in the background. Fvcking hell man.

“War is coming ……â€

“Stones aren’t safe on earth any more ……â€

And yet; somehow, this is NOT a suicide soundtrack. There’s an underlying energy in

the beats and a tension in the chords that refuses to let your spirits drop. The scene

is set. Several copies of the next tune fight each other for supremacy – it’s kind of

pointless to speculate how many copies there are – they are fighting it out for your

entertainment – just sit back and ‘watch’. Phasing snares ricochet around the

speakers like bullets in a Lone Ranger episode – simultaneously adding to the tension

and increasing the wonderment.

Simple ‘nightmare’ keys loom into sight and the ‘annihilating’ vocal is back – the

bass line is as simple and as sick as it gets – one filthy note repeated in batches of 5

repetitions – it is hypnotic, and it is offset against more phasing snares. One

underpins the other but one is never quite sure which is which.

That bass line finishes and ‘the white man’ poses the next question. Snatches of

vocal begin to combine again – suddenly ‘the white man’ is ‘annihilating’. Again.

‘Nothing out here – but the underground’; ‘the white man’; ‘annihilating’; ‘the

underground’; over and over – sentences forming from phrases – records talking to

each other. But like I said earlier – this isn’t ALL dark – the white man may well be

annihilating the underground – but the underground, ‘is where I dance’. And then the

challenge – ‘where do you dance ?’ – and before you can answer, you know damn

fvcking well where you dance – you dance wherever this record is playing – you can’t

help yourself; “where do you dance ?â€. “I dance in the underground…….â€

Now who’s ‘annihilating’ …………….. ?

Half an hour in – 15 minutes left.

Up a gear as we move through the next mix – and seeing as we’re now dancing the

mood seems to have lightened a touch as well. Don’t get me wrong – this is still

moody and powerful, it’s just no longer the musical meltdown it was. Oh no, hold on

the voices are back …. ‘I need to ask you something …..’ ‘Spiritual; Secret; Darkness;

Nightmares’. And the ubiquitous ‘Annihilating’.

And then, after the darkness the light. After the war the peace. After the argument

the making up.

An uplifting, imploring vocal about fundamental human needs – “I need you – I miss

you – I love you – And I live for the look on your faceâ€

And the tension of 40 minutes explodes like a laser guided emotion bomb into a

gorgeous tune to which words of mine cannot do justice.

This mix shouldn’t be track marked in my opinion – it doesn’t need it – it has

transcended it. In the same way that only a few other mix CD’s do, this one only

really works in its entirety – if you haven’t got at least 45 minutes to spend on it –

don’t bother. I guess people will want a track listing too – I will make do without one

- what Jonathan has done with this is way much more than ‘a track listing’.

Politics and music don’t mix eh ? They do on Jonathan Lisle’s turntables.

Respect

KS"

Originally posted by roxysandiego

Where is this at? :confused:

It was James who had mentioned it in passing but it was April when he had told me. He wasn't sure about anything so I didn't ask about the location. I guess we all know now. :D