Clubplanet Nightlife Community

is techno just not feasible in s. fl??

diegonyc

Originally posted by clubchikee

I agree, but it must be ESPECIALLY frustrating for the DJ's who want to put their music and their talent out there for the recognition they deserve.

I hate to listen to 93.1 unless its after hours and by that time I'm out partying my ass off. But if you take a moment to listen to what they got (afterhours that is), its well worth it. I don't know if they're afraid of the feedback they'll get from the audience or what, but 93.1 should air more variety.

As for the promoters, yes they work very hard at what they do, but they lack adventure. I know changing it up a bit has its risks and for the most part they book talent that has proven to pull in the crowds and the big bucks - why else would they do it. They're giving Miami what they want. But until Maimi's club scene is more educated musically, all we can do is hope for the better. Whats better than great tunes for all to enjoy?

how can u educate if you stick to the same music format? the only educating happening is that this kind of sound is getting exposed to people that aren't into dance music or clubbing. that still doesn't resolve the issue for heads that like variety.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by diegonyc

fair enough, but wouldn't you agree you have more options than any other genre? maybe progressive house would be right up there w/ trance but in the end, there's lack of variety, specifically techno.

We difinitely have the most variety! Hands down, thats why I responded to this thread cuz I truly feel where you're coming from. In the end, I'm all up for variety. Life would be boring otherwise.:D

93.1 for the Tranceheads ??!? :laugh: thats my laugh of the day . Only on sundays from 12am on up is it Good , the rest i consider "carnaval music " .

I would be all in support of a lil more variety ...........a Bi-Monthly nights of trance-techno to add a little more variety to our nightlife experiences .

My ideal Monthly Saturday schedule (non-Fantasy version) :

Sat 1 .........Oscar G

Sat 2...........Mauro Picotto <- fav. DJ !

Sat 3 .......... Robbie Rivera

Sat 4 .........Edgar V & Stryke

Sat 5 .........Oscar G

" WITH A LIL HOUSE FLAVOR , and A LIL TECHNO TO MAKE YOU GO ! :tongue:

Originally posted by mursa

93.1 for the Tranceheads ??!? :laugh: thats my laugh of the day . Only on sundays from 12am on up is it Good , the rest i consider "carnaval music " .

I would be all in support of a lil more variety ...........a Bi-Monthly nights of trance-techno to add a little more variety to our nightlife experiences .

My ideal Monthly Saturday schedule (non-Fantasy version) :

Sat 1 .........Oscar G

Sat 2...........Mauro Picotto <- fav. DJ !

Sat 3 .......... Robbie Rivera

Sat 4 .........Edgar V & Stryke

Sat 5 .........Oscar G

" WITH A LIL HOUSE FLAVOR , and A LIL TECHNO TO MAKE YOU GO ! :tongue:

Well I sent an e-mail to 93.1 and they did confirm that Edgar V has a broadcast every Friday's from 3am to 5am. Has anyone been able to listen in?

As an avid supporter of Techno I do feel shafted most of the year, but during WMC since everyone from all around the world is here it works? I'm going to try to do my part and bring some events here from minimal techno to some hard bangin' madness.

Stryke is a great dj and does not get anywhere near the attention he deserves on a local and a national level. He should be playin out every week somewhere with people who are up for it. If this a was perfect world anyway unfortunately it isn't so it's hard for to get booked in his own hometown.

I would like to see the following dj's here before the end of the year. Make a couple of them happen and I'll be a happy person.

Bryan Zentz - the man of the moment .. he's on fire production wise and his dj sets have been amazing from what I've heard

Richie Hawtin - upcoming DE9 3.0 tour? C'mon now someone take a fuckin chance and bring him here with some decent promotion and he'll do the rest.

Carl Cox - why hasn't he played here since the fuckin essential mix 2 years ago?

Laurent Garnier - He's playing 3 dates .. Atlanta , NYC , Chicago .. but not Miami. Someone needs to change this for next year!

Slam - These guys can fuckin rock any venue any place any fuckin time. Glasgow's finest indeed with gigs all over the world destroying dancefloors world wide and settings roofs on fire.

Mistress Barbara - Solid DJ has muiltiple mix cd's out and can make most dj's look like fools! She's hot on the production tip as well.

Umek - Fuckin sick ass techno dj from Slovenia who outsells most artiists in his own home country! Him and Valentino destroyed Long Night Out @ Level during WMC.

Stryke - Let stryke play all night somewhere open to close similar to what I'm doing @ Jazid and you'll see what you get from one of Miami's most talented dj's and artists.

Jeff Mills - The Wizard .. the man is sick 3 turntable action that leaves people goin wtf just happened here. NYC gets him at ARC this weekend.

Thats my 2 cents.

Check out my techno messageboard at http://pub62.ezboard.com/bplusorminus

Regards,

Ramon

Originally posted by clubchikee

Well I sent an e-mail to 93.1 and they did confirm that Edgar V has a broadcast every Friday's from 3am to 5am. Has anyone been able to listen in?

They are running it on groovemiami.com now :D

Ramon, what you are forgetting is that most people in this town are sheep at best...they go to clubs because their friends do, or they saw some movie star partying there once. You could book Cox, Zentz and whomever, and they may be the best DJs, but it's debatable that anyone besides you, me, and the people you'd expect would show up...I don't know how to do it, but the trick is getting the sheep to show up too.

Originally posted by vipnerd

Diego NYC ... how big is the techno scene in NYC? ... :hat:

we get to hear these guys on a month to month basis plus on mondays are the tronic techno parties. $5 to hear some of the best in the bizz.

it's not as big as it is out in deutscheland but it's better than nothing.

july 5th - Richie Hawtin all day at PS1 and all night at Arc.

:)

Originally posted by southof5th

techno is boring and for purists...

sorry...

danny howells plays some techno but the very funky kind

I kinda agree with you.

Most of the techno tracks I've heard are repititious as fuck. I personally enjoy techno but I can't see average everday people getting into it. Techno is an extreme representation of dance music. Just because techno hasn't taken off down here doesn't mean miami clubbers are clueless sheep that can't think for themselves. Maybe they're just not feeling those constant, pounding, loops over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. I'm not knockin techno because I like some if it, but I'm certainly aint gonna knock people who DON'T like it.

Guest saleen351

Techno for me only sounds good in a big room... AKA limelight was off the heezy for sheezy back in the day... :eek:

Originally posted by pod

Yeah really, tranzwhore...go to any commercial club, and there's your trance...

Pod, we are talking about 'quality TRANCE' not the bullcrap played at some joints.

You could book Cox, Zentz and whomever, and they may be the best DJs, but it's debatable that anyone besides you, me, and the people you'd expect would show up...

I don't know about Zents but I'm pretty sure Cox can pack any club in Miami.

Originally posted by diegonyc

sorry but dj keoki is a bad representation of techno.

I agree wholeheartedly .. From the numerous live set's I've heard from him and the couple times live, he was pretty much everywhere.. and I do mean.. everywhere.

I would have to say that he is the best and closest thing Miami has to an international headliner DJ that plays techno(I know he plays trance too). This guy rocks, he's my favorite dj/producer. But I must say that every time he comes, which is always to Space and recently to Ultra, he doesn't get the recognition. Seems that what POD said about the sheep is true, people only go cause their friends go. Also I really do believe that we are the pioneers of this scene, the great majority are either into the commercial 93.1 variety or hip-hoppers (you also still have the minority rockers.) Understand my scope on this....we're talking all of South Florida and that's in the millions. We are a minority still, but we are definitely a growing species. My 2 cents.

BBQ anyone?:D:cool:

I am from Colombia, a country where in the late 80's early nineties the nightlife was not accessible due to all the violence. Colombia does not have the "nightlife history" that miami has, but is now one of the hottest countries that playes Techno. 95% of the worlds best DJ's have played there, including Stryke and several other DJ's from Miami. Techno was introduced to Colombia little by little.

If you want people to start liking Techno, you need to introduce it to the people, but not a whole night of Techno, little by little, by sets, so people can start diggin it, I my self love Techno, but like to be brought up to that level by listening to other genres of music, such as House, Tech House,Tribal, etc., but not trance.

If Miami had more DJ's that would do a set or two of Techno, people would start diggin it, and could become a whole night of techno.

Just my 2 cents.

good point, johnny.

We seem to be in the ship of "toss 'em in the deep end of the pool, they'll learn how to swim!"

I think it's got to be a gradual process with techno, or any other genre aside from trance or house and their subcategories.

In a way, what Space does with Stryke is a good process...they have him on with house DJs, and that way there's a crowd...the crowd I saw last time he played at Space was jammin' to it...Oscar roped 'em in, Greg knocked 'em dead. Little by little, you'll get Greg going for the whole round.

If one thing's for certain, dealing with Miami nightlife takes patience...

I think that it is excellent when Stryke plays alongside a House DJ, not taking anything away from Stryke, I think he is an excellent DJ, and would love to play alongside of him. I just dont think people are educated enough with Techno.

BTW Dan, It's Serge.;)

I'm getting a little bit offended by this 'not educated enough, Miami people are like sheep' blah blah...

Introducing techno little by little? Why? It's not like it's a new concept here. If it's not big now there probably is a reason for it. You already have the best elements of techno (the sounds) in various other forms of music (progressive house, tech house) that are already blanketing the scene down here.

And no offense to Columbia, but I doubt the clubbers down there have actively chosen techno over other forms of dance music like trance or progressive.

Yeah techno may be huge in some other cities among certain people...

But if I had to choose between 1. techno music with average looking people...or 2. friendler yet cutting edge music with really good looking people (Miami scene) I choose #2.

Originally posted by southof5th

I'm getting a little bit offended by this 'not educated enough, Miami people are like sheep' blah blah...

Introducing techno little by little? Why? It's not like it's a new concept here. If it's not big now there probably is a reason for it. You already have the best elements of techno (the sounds) in various other forms of music (progressive house, tech house) that are already blanketing the scene down here.

And no offense to Columbia, but I doubt the clubbers down there have actively chosen techno over other forms of dance music like trance or progressive.

Yeah techno may be huge in some other cities among certain people...

But if I had to choose between 1. techno music with average looking people...or 2. friendler yet cutting edge music with really good looking people (Miami scene) I choose #2.

Obviously you don't get out much. Get off South Beach for a little bit...Miami people are generally like sheep, they go where their friends go, or they are out and out starfuckers and just go where they think the celebrities hang out. Just listen in when you hear other people talking...example "Oh I heard Tyrese was at crobar last night..." "Yeah, let's go!" I could make a cartoon out of it sometimes.

As for Columbia, yeah progressive house and trance are big down there, but so is techno, like Serge said. He would know too, him and his brother used to own a club down there.

When I go out, I go out for the music and the people themselves. If I want to see good looking people, I'd hang out at Opium. Besides, most of these "good looking people" are vapid, shallow morons that took the blue pill. They might be hot, but ya ever bother to listen what comes out of their mouths? Besides, my crew is pretty damn good looking if you ask me!

1) yes, colombia has chosen techno as one of their main form of clubbing music

2) are you saying that "techno heads" are only average looking? i, sir, am offended! i don't think i'm so bad looking at all. and i know some really beautiful techno girls out there!

geez!!!! this board really cracks me up and helps make my day go by faster and get less work done! ;)

re: #2 ..

mistress barbara 'nuff said

she's hot and she can make most guy dj's look like nothing.

magda is another solid example of an amazing female dj .. you can only imagine how good you have to be if you are opening for hawtin all over the world.