Clubplanet Nightlife Community

You're losing the war... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! GOOD!!

Bipartisan legislators say US needs help in Iraq

By Bryan Bender, Globe Correspondent, 6/30/2003

http://boston.com/dailyglobe2/181/nation/Bipartisan_legislators_say_US_needs_help_in_Iraq+.shtml

WASHINGTON - Concerned that US forces in Iraq are losing control by the day, senior lawmakers from both parties yesterday called on the Bush a dministration to enlist other nations to help secure the Gulf nation and bring an international face to the occupation and reconstruction efforts.

The bipartisan criticism marked the most forceful pressure to date on the administration to alter its insistence that US and British troops are sufficient to put Iraq firmly on the road to democracy and economic independence.

Senator Joseph Biden, Democrat of Delaware, said on ''Fox News Sunday'': ''We need somewhere between 30,000 and 60,000 other troops. ... I want to see French, German, I want to see Turkish patches on people's arms sitting on the street corners, sitting there in Iraq.''

The call for international participation came after two months of guerrilla attacks have left 24 US troops dead from hostile fire. Another 42 have been killed in accidents since May 1, when President Bush declared the combat phase of the war over. The aggressive US campaign to root out loyalists to Saddam Hussein - who intelligence officials believe is alive - only appears to inflame the resistance.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, speaking on Capitol Hill on Friday, insisted that American troops are not engaged in a guerrilla war and said US forces are ''taking every step possible'' to root out the resistance, which he said could include common criminals who were released from Iraqi prisons prior to the US and British invasion.

Talk of a potential quagmire in Iraq also came as the US military yesterday announced the start of Operation Sidewinder, the third campaign this month aimed at defeating guerrilla forces.

The sweep, which included more than 60 arrests yesterday, extended from the Iranian border in the east to the northern outskirts of Baghdad. The operation is expected to last several days, the US Central Command said in a statement.

It is unclear whether the counterinsurgency campaign is working. ''You can't win this by killing people,'' retired US Army General Wesley Clark, former commander of NATO, said yesterday. ''A lot of the military measures being taken appear to be intensifying the resistance.''

Biden also said the attacks are becoming ''bolder'' and ''more coordinated. ... To the extent that we continue to try and own this, I think, this will increase.''

Military officials, who for weeks described the resistance as sporadic and not centrally organized, are beginning to question whether the attacks are the last gasp of Hussein loyalists or the hallmarks of a spreading revolt that is being organized by remnants of the toppled regime and might have been planned all along.

What was clear yesterday is that Congress, which until now has largely refrained from questioning the military's ability to stabilize Iraq, increasingly believes the American and British forces can't do it alone.

Senator Chuck Hagel, Republican of Nebraska and a member of the Foreign Relations Committee, said on CNN's ''Late Edition'' that the upswing in attacks on US troops should be the ''jarring gong'' to seek ''more United Nations involvement and more Arab involvement.''

''Time is not on our side,'' Hagel said. ''Every day that ticks by we are losing ground. ... [We] need help.''

''I think we've got weeks to turn this around,'' Senator Christopher J. Dodd, Democrat of Connecticut and another member of the foreign relations panel, said on CBS's ''Face the Nation.''

Senator John McCain, Republican of Arizona and a member of the Armed Services Committee, said on ''Face the Nation'' that he did not know whether dispatching more US troops would be the best solution, noting, ''We need help from our friends and allies, India, Pakistan, other friends of ours, including our European friends.'' He said he noted a ''growing sense of unease'' among his constituents about the situation.

Several lawmakers discussed the need for a NATO force to be dispatched to Iraq, but many alliance members, including France, Germany, and Turkey, the only Muslim member, opposed the US invasion in March. NATO's only participation to date has been to help Poland prepare a force of 2,300 soldiers that is scheduled to arrive in Iraq this summer. But Biden said he has received assurances from NATO Secretary General Lord George Robertson that the alliance would heed the call from Washington.

Others say the UN must have a larger stake to restore political and economic stability.

''We need to take the UN and give it a more visible presence,'' Clark said. ''There is no legitimacy for the American presence and they are not building one. The legitimacy that was promised was the restoration of economic growth and democracy, but that takes time. We would benefit by the broad legitimacy of international political support and we don't have that.''

This story ran on page A11 of the Boston Globe on 6/30/2003.

© Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by guyman1966

You really have no clue. Please continue to root for American deaths you Jackass.

You really have no clue. Please continue to root for non-white, non-christian, non-American deaths you racist zealot.

Hey, I have a soultion for winning the war....

Why don't we withdrawl all US troops, then NUKE THE FUCK OUT OF THE "SANDNIGGERS"????

I know you would like that.

NOW SHUT YOUR DRIED UP CUNT YOU SLUT!!

Originally posted by normalnoises

[b

Definately something a transvestite would say. As a matter of fact are you a transvestite? Tell the truth. We won't tell your daughter if she doesn't know already. I Promise

You really have no clue. Please continue to root for non-white, non-christian, non-American deaths you racist zealot.

Hey, I have a soultion for winning the war....

Why don't we withdrawl all US troops, then NUKE THE FUCK OUT OF THE "SANDNIGGERS"????

I know you would like that.

:laugh: :laugh: You are such a Jackass! I challange you to find any post I've ever made where I use racist tearms... Come on... find it you dumb ass... YOU CANT.. You Nazi bastard!

racist? why dont you go over there you disrespectful fuck...id love for you to disrespect this country in my prescence.... how many thousands of troops put themsemlves in harms way to save civilians lives..and you piss on these boys and men? with your leftist palaba......hey buddy theres a reason why we surpised them in the war....they..just like you...thought we were going to constantly hit civilian land..well I think not....if you do not like your home why don't you move the fuck out? obviously you have no life or you would try to converge in more intelligent convo....so I hate to break it to ya...but I willnot be replying back to this thread.....again show a lil respect for you home...god bless the usa!

YOU ARE SHOT

HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT ABOUT MY BELOVED COUNTRY AND HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT ABOUT OUR SOLDIERS FIGHTING FOR YOU AND FIGHTING FOR OUR FREEDOM NORMALNOISES??? YOU HAVE NO RESPECT FOR YOUR COUNTRY YOU HAVE NO RESPECT FOR OUR FIGHTING MEN AND SOLDIERS AND YOU DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING!!

THERE WAS A THING CALLED 9/11. THOUSANDS OF OUR OWN PEOPLE DIED IN IT BUT ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS ALL THEM FUCKING TOWELHEADS!

I DONT CARE ABOUT TOWELHEADS. THEY ALL SHOULD BE KILLED. ALL OF THEM ARE TERRORIST LIKE YOU YOU FUCKING IDIOT.

YOU ARE A TERRORIST!! YOU HATE AMERICA AND THE FREEDOM IT STANDS FOR!

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND STOP BASHING MY COUNTRY!

GET THE FUCK OUT OF IT SINCE YOU HATE IT HERE FAG!!

I'm sorry but you're as Hopeless as the rest of the goons in NYC and as your slogan suggests.

now go fuck your potato

your mother is a dirty whore, who should have had an abortion or swallowed the rotten load you came in. and your daughter is not far behind......

Originally posted by americanmade

YOU ARE SHOT

HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT ABOUT MY BELOVED COUNTRY AND HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT ABOUT OUR SOLDIERS FIGHTING FOR YOU AND FIGHTING FOR OUR FREEDOM NORMALNOISES??? YOU HAVE NO RESPECT FOR YOUR COUNTRY YOU HAVE NO RESPECT FOR OUR FIGHTING MEN AND SOLDIERS AND YOU DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING!!

THERE WAS A THING CALLED 9/11. THOUSANDS OF OUR OWN PEOPLE DIED IN IT BUT ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS ALL THEM FUCKING TOWELHEADS!

I DONT CARE ABOUT TOWELHEADS. THEY ALL SHOULD BE KILLED. ALL OF THEM ARE TERRORIST LIKE YOU YOU FUCKING IDIOT.

YOU ARE A TERRORIST!! YOU HATE AMERICA AND THE FREEDOM IT STANDS FOR!

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND STOP BASHING MY COUNTRY!

GET THE FUCK OUT OF IT SINCE YOU HATE IT HERE FAG!!

how many times is this argument going to be beaten like a dead horse...nothing behind this...thousands of your own people did not die....hundreds were also made up of foreigners, first of all.

second, 9/11 could have been prevented, but was not. it's hard to believe a powerful state like ours could be harmed by random guys in a terrorist group, especially since terrorist attacks have often happened against the us before, you would think national security would have learned a thing or two by now...

plus, how is it not possible to find bin laden? let's not forget the bush and the likes of his economic ties to his family and saudi arabia. that is already a big red flag....

there are some interesting articles about what's going on right now on www.thetrumpet.com. but they have a really christian twist to them...if you're not into it, just focus on the facts they bring up....very interesting for a church to do....

and exactly how are the troops fighting for our "freedom" ? freedom is this? not being able to even choose our president properly, because there is a nice permanent statute in our system that makes an electoral college the very thing that keeps us from being free. how can there be a popular vote, where the people vote for whoever they really want (although it's a shame that the number of voters in the US are only around 30%, which means that if way more people voted, maybe some things could significantly change...politics are a part of all our lives...) BUT the big catch is that it also depends upon the so-called "electoral college" which is made up of members of senate i.e. the government. how is that free, when their vote will be the one to decide who will be president anyways? why are people so slow to not stop this...? are people that conditioned to the society that has been created for us to get absorbed in, oblivious to what's going on behind the whole facade? obviously, there are a lot of things most of us don't know is going on in the world, but that is not an excuse to only care about materialistic things and not try to be concerned about the deteriorating condition of the world...because things are really getting worse, not better.

what's up with calling people terrorists because they don't agree with you? are you really that insecure with yourself? that is really pathetic.

finally, seeing how much hate and venom is in your words, it kind of is ironic seeing how you are trying to justify yourself but your emotions are the same as these people the american government are trying to say are full of...hate. makes you wonder what you are really trying to defend.

:blown:

Originally posted by sassa

second, 9/11 could have been prevented, but was not. it's hard to believe a powerful state like ours could be harmed by random guys in a terrorist group, especially since terrorist attacks have often happened against the us before, you would think national security would have learned a thing or two by now...

Since you feel 9/11 could have been prevented and you are so against the Patriot Act then you must have some kind of idea on how to prevent terrorism. Could you kindly tell me what you think the government should be doing to fight terrorism? Please answer that question and don't go off on a tangent.

Originally posted by skince55

Since you feel 9/11 could have been prevented and you are so against the Patriot Act then you must have some kind of idea on how to prevent terrorism. Could you kindly tell me what you think the government should be doing to fight terrorism? Please answer that question and don't go off on a tangent.

how about targeting the root of the problem first and not the effects of it?? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dnice35

you unamerican cun get out of our country..... wrap a towel around your head, hop on your camel and get the fuck out of the US

Problem is, camels can't float.

:idea:

Why not fit the camel with a life jacket so it floats and stuff a time bomb in it so it explodes hundreds of miles out to sea??

Edit: Put normalnoises on the same camel. I'm sure they'll have a blast!!!

Originally posted by sassa

how about targeting the root of the problem first and not the effects of it?? :rolleyes:

Ok, fine I see the root of the problem as terrorist groups see us as the infidels and are afraid we are going to impose our infidel way of life on them. How do you stop that? Is Washington supposed to ban all U.S. companies from opening up shop in Muslim countries?

And please don't talk back to me like I call you names and shit (other than calling you a fucking moron which you have also called me,) because the only other thing I make fun of you for is the lizard shit, which you posted and I didnt make up. Please respond to the first part of this post not the second otherwise it will turn into more pointless name calling, OK :D

Originally posted by skince55

Ok, fine I see the root of the problem as terrorist groups see us as the infidels and are afraid we are going to impose our infidel way of life on them. How do you stop that? Is Washington supposed to ban all U.S. companies from opening up shop in Muslim countries?

And please don't talk back to me like I call you names and shit (other than calling you a fucking moron which you have also called me,) because the only other thing I make fun of you for is the lizard shit, which you posted and I didnt make up. Please respond to the first part of this post not the second otherwise it will turn into more pointless name calling, OK :D

so, terrorism is the ONLY problem that is threatening the US? that's so myopic.