Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Any suggestions...

Here's the deal...

I've been working out now again for about a month after a month break due to work....buuuuut....I'm not getting sore! Barely anyways.

I usually do 4 sets of whatever excercise I'm doing and do 15, 12,10,8, 6 reps going up in weight each set. Usually with the last set I'm dying...and I leave the gym feeling beat/like I had a great work-out, but then the next morning....barely sore...and the next day...4getabowdit =/ My friend told me I may not be that sore bc I drink a ton of water and it's helping take out the lactic acid which makes one sore. Could this be true?

Any suggestions on why this may be happening? Or what I may be doing right/wrong?

Originally posted by wideskies

well, you might want to consider changing your workout, now that it's been about 4 weeks. your muscles are probably getting used to the particular sequence and reps of exercises, even if it's difficult.

That's the thing...I HAVE been doing different types of excercises:(

Not everybody gets DOMS... many people don't get it at all after the first few workouts.

Judge your progress by your strength, not your soreness. But if you don't keep any of your exercises consistent, that'll be kind of hard to do. I'd recommend keeping the core movements the same for a while -- bench, squat, pullup, military press, deadlift. Let your progress in those movements be your guide.

Originally posted by sunnyhost

Here's the deal...

I've been working out now again for about a month after a month break due to work....buuuuut....I'm not getting sore! Barely anyways.

I usually do 4 sets of whatever excercise I'm doing and do 15, 12,10,8, 6 reps going up in weight each set. Usually with the last set I'm dying...and I leave the gym feeling beat/like I had a great work-out, but then the next morning....barely sore...and the next day...4getabowdit =/ My friend told me I may not be that sore bc I drink a ton of water and it's helping take out the lactic acid which makes one sore. Could this be true?

Any suggestions on why this may be happening? Or what I may be doing right/wrong?

Ok...

1st ) When was the last time you took at least a week off the gym?

2nd) Instead of doing pyramid sets try doing 3 to 4 sets of a weight that you can just get 12 - 14 reps for all sets.

3rd ) When was the last time you changed your routine

4 ) Do you steadily do up in weight like monthly...

Your body needs to be shocked otherwise it gets too used to what it is doing. Hense the reason you are no longer feeling soreness.

You can try 1 week pyramid sets 1 week Steady rep sets... Next week back to pyramid... Next week back to steady sets.

INTERESTING. tHANKS!

I haven't taken a week off of the gym in about a month or month 1/2, but this upcoming week I'm going on a cruise and I know I'll just do a class or two on the two days at sea at most.

I definitely do keep the core excercises for the first two or three excercises per muscle group, but then I switch it up for the last one usually. I think I'm gonna try switching the pyramid sets w/the steady sets as well and see if that helps.

Oh, and I work out w/guys who MAKE me go up in weight no matter what..so it's not a matter of not pushing my muscles u know?

Originally posted by skince55

I very rarely get sore, except in my legs from time to time, but I still see results

Well that's the thing...I did legs yesterday and today I am super sore...thank god!

It's the rest of my bod that gives me trouble...well not that it's trouble, but I kinda like being sore to know that the workout is effective u know?

when you're sore, it's mainly due to the build up of lactic acid (mainly for people who didn't work out in forever and their muscles are deteriorating.)

unless you mean the good feeling after a set:

first of all:

you are not supposed to go up in weights. you start out w/ a higher weight and gradually go down. it makes a world of a difference

2) use low weights with high reps (ie 25, 30) to get the def'n you want for 2 or 3 (best) sets

3) it may depend on your diet. if it is a heavy carbohydrate diet, it makes sense how nothing is working. read the book "the zone".

4) i agree w/ the suggestion that you should vary your workout.

ie don't use the same leg press, don't follow the same routine

i hope that helps

Originally posted by sunnyhost

Here's the deal...

Originally posted by nyckitty69

when you're sore, it's mainly due to the build up of lactic acid (mainly for people who didn't work out in forever and their muscles are deteriorating.)

unless you mean the good feeling after a set:

That's only true about the pain you feel *during* a workout. I think we're talking about the soreness you feel 24-48 hours after.

first of all:

you are not supposed to go up in weights. you start out w/ a higher weight and gradually go down. it makes a world of a difference

Why is decreasing weights preferable?

2) use low weights with high reps (ie 25, 30) to get the def'n you want for 2 or 3 (best) sets

Why do you think that high reps will lead to more "definition"?

Originally posted by rackham

That's only true about the pain you feel *during* a workout. I think we're talking about the soreness you feel 24-48 hours after.

if you're in pain 24-48 hrs after, your muscles may be out of shape. From my knowledge you're supposed to be sore for a while but not for 24-48 hrs after every work out. That's lactic acid i think.

[qoute]

Why is decreasing weights preferable?

Why do you think that high reps will lead to more "definition"?

Originally posted by nyckitty69

if you're in pain 24-48 hrs after, your muscles may be out of shape. From my knowledge you're supposed to be sore for a while but not for 24-48 hrs after every work out. That's lactic acid i think.

It's not lactic acid. The lactic acid in your muscles has cleared out generally about an hour following exercise. Nobody actually knows the exact cause of DOMS -- some people don't get it at all and others always get it even if they've been lifting for years.

*gen'ly speaking* if you want to be big and bulky like a wrestler, you lift heavy weights low reps (10 maybe). If you want def'n you lift low weights high reps, 2 or 3 sets. of course, once a certain weight is too light for you, you increase the weight.

You get muscle size/strength/endurance from lifting weights, and definition from having low bodyfat. Unless you're intentionally lifting weights as aerobic activity, you'd be much better off doing lower reps to gain a bit more muscle, which will in turn burn more fat. I doubt you'll wake up one morning looking like a wrestler. Most women just don't get that big. In fact, a bit of muscle can make women look very shapely! :aright:

that's the advice i got from trainers and well built guys in my gyms, and i found it to be true from my experience too. i guess for diff people they may get diff results, but that is the common recommendation i hear

Unfortunately, there are many people out there with big muscles (and even with training certificates) who don't really know as much as you'd think. You might want to check out these links; I think you'll find them very informative:

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html

:)