Clubplanet Nightlife Community

jon cowan at space review

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by illuminaughty

dude, no offense but Chicane was hot like 5-8 years ago, I dont get it....... is this some deep twisted sarcasm? figures why you didn't like Jon's set.......

it's relevant to tempo. Chicane produced several tracks that are over 120bpm.

BT - mercury and solace

deepsky - Until the end of the world

humate - love stimulation

private taste - first

more examples of tracks I like that are faster then 120bpm.

Originally posted by drumsjunkie

You know, most of the music Jon played last night wasn't my style, but I saw that the people got into it. I thought he played better than Sheldon Romero, who I heard train wreck after train wreck in his set, yet most of the people on this board wrote great reviews about him. I think Jon played for the people that were there.

thankyou mate - you are completely right - here is a chance to stick up for myself a little bit.. everyone has there own opinions and they are completely entitled too that. In fact, I appreciate all the comments good or bad. As for last night, I definitely played a little bit harder than usual for me... I started out quite housey and techy but it seemed only the harder darker stuff was making the floor move so i went with what I felt. Judging from the crowds reaction the harder I got the more they were into it so I went with it. Personally, I had a blast playing last night and I truely hope to do it again soon and keep the comments coming - they are most apreciative... now I hope too see all of you next friday for Slacker at nerve - this guy is an amazing dj and I hope you all get to expirience it... Thanks again for all the comments good or bad.. I will take them all into note for the future..

sincerely

Jon Cowan

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

On a serious note. The pics were meant to be humerous and don't reflect how the set actually was. Technically it was solid! In the end it's just a matter of taste. I really liked Jon's set at rain, but I wasn't feeling his set at space. Things to take into consideration about my taste is that I frequent deephouse parties and I'm really particular to tracks made by musicians more so then DJ's. Jon has def done alot of positive things for the scene and I respect him for that :aright:

thanks lee!:cool:

Tempo was okay. No complaints about tempo. I still love my chicane tracks which are well over 120bpm. It's not a tempo thing for me. I was with someone that likes dance music but she really isn't into the local dance scene (not nightstar). She said alot of the music sounded repetitive. IMO this is why this kind of music is not doing well anymore. There's really isn't to many people doing "X" so it's harder to get away with spinning tracks that loop over and over, only people on drugs or genre purists like that. When your rolling a repititious track sounds like heaven. It's awesome, but times have changed. No one does "X" anymore. The set I heard sounded like something people on "X" would've loved a couple of years ago. This is not a fact it's just my opinion as someone who has been into the dance scene for several years now.

Nobody is doing X these days ???? :laugh:

If I was given a dollar for each time a "X junkie" has stepped on my shoes or elbowed me on the stomach in the past 6 months of clubbing ......

... I would have about $ 2,500 right now . :idea:

Originally posted by drumsjunkie

You know, most of the music Jon played last night wasn't my style, but I saw that the people got into it. I thought he played better than Sheldon Romero, who I heard train wreck after train wreck in his set, yet most of the people on this board wrote great reviews about him. I think Jon played for the people that were there.

well you "HEARD" wrong. I heard no train wrecks from Sheldon, but what do I know? I just happen to be actually listening to his set. ;)

IMO Roly is the house DJ, he should played the mainroom for more then the bullshit one hour that was allocated to him. :mad:

Roly and OG know how to work that mainroom nuff said.. :)

Originally posted by mursa

Nobody is doing X these days ???? :laugh:

If I was given a dollar for each time a "X junkie" has stepped on my shoes or elbowed me on the stomach in the past 6 months of clubbing ......

... I would have about $ 2,500 right now . :idea:

I think you go to trance parties. People still do "X" at those parties. The whole glowsticks and "X" thing go hand and hand. There was a time in the mid to late 90's that everyone was doing "X" no matter what club you went to. X use is down significantly.

whatever... There's no candyravers and kids doing X like they used to. If you don't want to accept it that's your problem. Maybe trance parties have a bunch of X heads but that's about it.

Yeah, I heard heroin made a huge come back:idea:

Originally posted by sobeton

well you "HEARD" wrong. I heard no train wrecks from Sheldon, but what do I know? I just happen to be actually listening to his set. ;)

yeah I don't recall train wrecks fri. night. This guy must have been a wreck himself.:idea:

whatever... There's no candyravers and kids doing X like they used to. If you don't want to accept it that's your problem. Maybe trance parties have a bunch of X heads but that's about it.

perhaps you see only what you want to see. :idea: usage continues to increase, at all levels...before you dig yourself to deep into a hole. Do some reading .. ignorance can sometimes act as, a crutch to ones personal beliefs. ;)

perhaps you see only what you want to see. :idea: usage continues to increase, at all levels...before you dig yourself to deep into a hole. Do some reading .. ignorance can sometimes act as, a crutch to ones personal beliefs. ;)

My comment was in reference to miami and southbeach. I don't care about the rest of the US. The beach is primarily hip hop now and the hip hop crowd doesn't do X like the raver crowd used to do it. Last Sat Space was 2/3 hip hop. Even when space is not 2/3 hip hop the hip hop room has been fuller then the other rooms the times I've gone. Read between the lines dude. X was staple of the drug induced raver kids of the early 90's. If you want to live in the past that's your problem. Another thing, it's not polite to tell people they're ignorant. If you can't act civil then don't debate things. I think your fucking ignorant because your not seeing what's right infront of your face. In it's heyday everyone was doing X. That's clearly not the case anymore. I don't get complete strangers asking me for X at parties anymore that is unless your part of the trance MINORITY that still uses X. Your so fucking condescending when someone has a different point of view then you. Save the hot air for somebody you'll impress with it. Preferably yourself.

My comment was in reference to miami and southbeach. I don't care about the rest of the US. The beach is primarily hip hop now and the hip hop crowd doesn't do X like the raver crowd used to do it. Last Sat Space was 2/3 hip hop. Even when space is not 2/3 hip hop the hip hop room has been fuller then the other rooms the times I've gone. Read between the lines dude. X was staple of the drug induced raver kids of the early 90's. If you want to live in the past that's your problem. Another thing, it's not polite to tell people they're ignorant. If you can't act civil then don't debate things. I think your fucking ignorant because your not seeing what's right infront of your face. In it's heyday everyone was doing X. That's clearly not the case anymore. I don't get complete strangers asking me for X at parties anymore that is unless your part of the trance MINORITY that still uses X. Your so fucking condescending when someone has as different point of view then you. Save the hot air for somebody who you'll impress with it. Preferably yourself.

:laugh: All this garbage still doesn’t cast aside one simple thing. YOU CANâ€T HANDLE THE TRUTH ! :laugh:

:laugh: All this garbage still doesn’t cast aside one simple thing. YOU CANâ€T HANDLE THE TRUTH ! :laugh:

Your right, several people asked me for X and a back rub in the hip hop room while listening to Jayzee this past Saturday. Also when I go to spin everyone looks like zombies, you know like they used to look at Shadow. Oh, and there's such a friendly vibe at hip hop events, everyone is like family just like it used to be at shadow and space when edgar used to spin there.

Your right, several people asked me for X and a back rub in the hip hop room while listening to Jayzee this past Saturday. Also when I go to spin everyone looks like zombies, you know like they used to look at Shadow. Oh, and there's such a friendly vibe at hip hop events, everyone is like family just like it used to be at shadow and space when edgar used to spin there.

That is why you are the head promoter at Menage GA2. It's all about the family atmosphere, cristal, and back rubs:eek:

Please stop the stereotypes GA2. Saying everyone at a Trance party is on X is like saying everyone at a Hip Hop party is in a gang and is there to start shooting.

I've never done any sort of drugs and I've been listening to Trance and Progressive since 93. I started listening to Hip Hop around 88 and have never acted like a wannabe thug, and I started listening to House music in 1989 and am not gay. I'm still huge on House and Trance, but I don't like some of the Hip Hop being made today, especially all the dirty south crap, which unlike East Coast hip hop it sounds like a bunch of guys who never even finished the fifth grade. The whole "Wow, look at me I'm livin it up with mad dollars and hoes, and I'm still a thug/gangmember/scum" mentality is nothing to brag about if you ask me, and its gotten much more commercialized than however much you think Trance has gotten commercial. Black Eyed Peas, The Roots, etc. are great to listen to, but unfortunately the chicks don't wanna dance to that in most of the clubs.

With any club events there are some where you don't wanna go to b/c the crowd is too young, too ignorant, too fucked up, too ghetto, too condescending, too whatever. If you had a good time this past weekend and didnt feel the crowd was an extreme exageration of something that's great. I've been pretty fortunate throughout my life to go to plenty of those types of parties.

I think you go to trance parties. People still do "X" at those parties. The whole glowsticks and "X" thing go hand and hand. There was a time in the mid to late 90's that everyone was doing "X" no matter what club you went to. X use is down significantly.

GA2 ,

With all due respect , but I go to House events much more than Trance events , we are in South Florida where House is king in the 21 & over club scene .

I guess the Glowlights is a no-brainer as to ecstacy use , but only because someones isn't playing with glowsticks or staring at them , doesn't mean he-she isn't doing X ..............alot of undercovers and "controled" X users out there . :idea:

Even though I somewhat agree with you in that X use maybe isn't as prevelant as in the late 90's-2000 , its still there in force .

If I was given a $ for each time a particular person has offered me X in the past 2 months at the same club .

............I would have $10 .

Originally posted by CHRles

Please stop the stereotypes GA2. Saying everyone at a Trance party is on X is like saying everyone at a Hip Hop party is in a gang and is there to start shooting.

sorry bout offending anyone with the stereotypes. I'm open to discuss my point of view with open minded people.

Are people at hip hop parties immature. yes. Does the music glorify being a pimp or a thug or being paid up. yes. Does alot of people that go to trance parties roll. It's been my experience that they do. I love to roll. I rolled consistently for 2 years every single weekend. I'm judging the trance crowd on a curve based on my own experiences. Shadow lounge was full of zombies back in the day and so was the mix. The majority of people were drinking water not beer. Does everyone at trance parties roll? NO, of course not.

Not trying to offend anyone here, except jon (I'm joking) I actually enjoy discussing this topic. I've seen alot of things change in the past couple of years and have my own take on how and why things have changed. It's just opinion and not fact so if anyone else is reading this don't get offended!!!!!! You think I"m wrong I'll gladly discuss what I think with you witthout resorting to childish name calling.