Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Are DJ's as good as you think?

Are DJ's as good as you think? Sure you know all the big named DJ around the globe, but are they really as good as you think? Somebody brought this up in one of my sessions and I wanted to get everybody on this site's 2 cents.

Heres the problem:

DJ's have a lot of $$$ -- right. So they can pay companies to promote and sponser them. They will put them in movies, shows, and of course MTV. You see them everywhere, but do you see them everywhere because they are good or because they have the money to spend to get their name out there?

A party or club event works the same way. You spend money to get people to come. Is this the case for todays DJ's

PLEASE tell me what you think so I can finally choose a side. I am stuck in the middle here.

Skyler

http://ravernews.com

Some bigname DJs are good because they have legitimate skills, some bedroom Djs are good for the same reason. . . .but there are a lotta bigname DJs who suck. Oakenfold anyone?

Often the best DJs are those that are up and coming, who are very creative and still concentrate on producing, mixing, and haven't become one with the machine. Tiesto in 2000-2001 a good example, he produced with Gouryella, Kamaya Painters, Vimana, and spun a ton of CDs and live sets, some of the most creative trance I've heard in a long time. Now. . . . uhm, no.

If a DJ has 3 or 4 residencies and is spinning like 5 times a week, they don't have the time to really get to know new music and figure out the best way of mixing thing together. . . you won't find the most creativity in the biggest name ones. But the same bigname DJs get the best new records the quickest, as a result they end up having the hottest new sounds no matter what. . . oh well.

I'm on the wall too :)

Oakie was doing remixes when half of you were playing with G.I Joes and the other half were still wearing diapers. You see alot of the so called "big names" earned their respect a long long time ago and they really don't give a fuck anymore. They're the people that made what you listen to today famous. It's all about the dollar now, it's a business. I used to think these guys were all sell outs too, but my attitude towards them has completely changed. I may personally think Oakie sucks as a dj, but he's making serious coin now.

If you're a dj, and you think the music is the only thing that matters, well then you're a fucking retard because you're gonna be poor the rest of your life. All the big names sell out, yes even Mr. John Digweed............spiderman, spidermannnnnnnnnn. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ after you establish yourself.

It is DEFINATLEY not about: money, latest music, or the spotlight!

It is about how you work with what you got. It is about the fealing you get when you see people react to what you are doing. Sure the money is great when you make it, but I agree with Dino they don't give a fuck anymore. After a while it just becomes a J O B, thats when you need to do somthing new.

Personally i think there are alot of dj's that really do suck. I'm not hating on anyone, but being in the business that i'm in, i know getting into a big name club isnt about how good you are, its either about who you know or how many people you can bring in. There are some really good dj's out there, but sometimes you change your mind about a dj after hearing a $hitty set. Personally I've been spinning mostly hip hop, but i've been known to throw some sick house sets. I always have the crowd going crazy and get nothing but good reviews and feedback from people. It takes alot of money to become good..and also to become a famous dj. Alot of the "bedroom dj's" are really good, but without the right connections or money to throw your own party in nyc, they remain in the shadows. I'm just getting out, but mainly by throwing my own parties everywhere from nyc to westchester to albany ny. Currently at 20/20 - Sultry Saturdays. CHeck it out...hit me up xtremebx13@aol.com

Later

DJ DAVID ALI

I have been disappointed with the 'standard' of a lot of international DJs.

It's due to a number of things: The media hype, mixes done using Protools on CDs, generally having high expectations. A lot of dance music producers sell themselves off as DJs to be able to tour on the cheap as well.

I empathise with the young talented DJs who find it hard to get a break.

not into the whole DJ shit. we go to clubs, have a good time or not, and go again another time. a DJ to me, is like a parking lot valet, they bring you the CAR, and thats it , you give em a buck tip. very rarely does a parking valet bring you the care with such style, and entertainment, that you give that valet( DJ), and extra tip. they're just like waiters to me. the talent is in the chef( music writer), not the fucking waiter. thered are stylists and designers. designers have the big talent, the stylists, just work with it. a dj, is USUALLY nothing more than a stylist. most are unexceptional, few are noteworthy

Well being a DJ myself i do have to go against that. A good dj gets the crowd into the music. I've gone out places where i had a miserable time, partly because the music sux. If your dancing or listening to the music at a club and a dj plays a song and your like wow this song is good and everyone is singing the words, thats a totally different experience than when you just hear music and that leave the club. I always get people coming up to me after I dj and when they are leaving. They are always like "good $hit kid" or like "yo we'll definitely be back next week." It changes everything, next time you go out to a club or bar, pay attention to the music and the dj and you'll see what i'm saying, if not, i'll be at 20/20 this Saturday for the beach party. I spin hip hop there, but i guarantee what i just said...its all in the music.

DJ DAVID ALI

people go to the factory bc peters is there, if he was spinning in a different club, the people would go to sf, same thing with draper at exit...it went downhill.

yeah, i agree its the music. like in a restaurant its the food. but dj's barely affect the music, they merely select. thats why i don't pay mucha ttention to dj's on the creative talent scale theyre just not worth thinking about, in total, other than a few exceptions, they're just waiters, the talent is in the kitchen, thats what interest me- the chef, not the waiter

I've been to all the popular venues in nyc from exit to the sf to webster hall. The clubs usually have top of the line dj's who are good at what they do. Alot of the smaller venues and lounges also have some good dj's that dont get the fame or respect of the bigger club dj's. This is a business thats hard to get the fame and respect, even if you are really good.

Later

DJ DAVID ALI

Originally posted by djdavidali

I've been to all the popular venues in nyc from exit to the sf to webster hall. The clubs usually have top of the line dj's who are good at what they do. Alot of the smaller venues and lounges also have some good dj's that dont get the fame or respect of the bigger club dj's. This is a business thats hard to get the fame and respect, even if you are really good.

Later

DJ DAVID ALI

Exit, SF, and Webster Hall are the worst examples of quality music venues in nyc.

Originally posted by DINO nYc

Oakie was doing remixes when half of you were playing with G.I Joes and the other half were still wearing diapers. You see alot of the so called "big names" earned their respect a long long time ago and they really don't give a fuck anymore. They're the people that made what you listen to today famous. It's all about the dollar now, it's a business. I used to think these guys were all sell outs too, but my attitude towards them has completely changed. I may personally think Oakie sucks as a dj, but he's making serious coin now.

If you're a dj, and you think the music is the only thing that matters, well then you're a fucking retard because you're gonna be poor the rest of your life. All the big names sell out, yes even Mr. John Digweed............spiderman, spidermannnnnnnnnn. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ after you establish yourself.

whats wrong with spiderman?:confused:

Lets see here is some of RICK CORBO websterhall sat dj, playlist lately. And tell me some of these tracks arent some good body movers.

PQM- nameless

LUZON- the baguio

MICHAEL BUNCH- the playground

MARCELO CASTELLI- on drums

ANTRANIG feat ANGELICA DE NO - dangerous

DEEPGROOVE vs TONY THOMAS-supergroove

LAURENT PAUTRAT & MLK- right now baby

EDDY AIRBROW- the magic drums

KINGS OF TOMORROW- i want you for myself

KULT OF KRAMERICA- opium

SSL- follow me

ANTOINE CLAMARAN- medellin

SECRET SOCIETY- psychological warfare

DELILAH- be strong 4 me

ROBBIE RIVERA- master of drums

VICTORIA BECKHAM- not such an innocent girl

3 PEACE DIVISON- beatz in peacez

YUG feat HELEN GARCIA- got to just

LEE CABRERA- shake it

AMUKA- apprecite me

DJ PIRRE VS DAVID MORALES- make it hot

FABIO KING- SPECIAL LOVE

JAIMY & KENNY D- the real thing

CARLO DALLANESE- test and born

CZR feat ALEX PEACE- you feel it

VICTOR CALDERONE- the drive

FAITHLESS- insomnia

MOBY - in this world

ANTIONE CLAMARAN- alert

and theres so many other songs out there i cant name right now. Also i didnt put the mixes he plays cause i dont know them all either. I mean his style is DARK,TRIBAL, PROGRESSIVE, some VOCALS. I think these are some awesome track so i dont know why people would say webs sucks musically.

To be honest i havent been to webster hall lately. A friend of mine was doin the flyer distribution there. Its one of the only clubs that still has a pretty good name. I usually throw parties all over ny, and right now Webster Hall has one of the only successful parties going. Like i said, I havent been there in a while, but will definitely check it out when i get a night off.

Sultry Saturdays @ 20/20 this Sat...Beach Party --> Check it out !

Later

DJ David Ali

Originally posted by DINO nYc

Exit, SF, and Webster Hall are the worst examples of quality music venues in nyc.

You're a friggin' idiot if you make this comment. You guys in NYC might be used to having to best talent in the world spin right in your back yard...but dont take it for granted. Theres a lot of people all over the rest of the east coast and out west who would kill to have locals like JP, Vicious, Draper, Corbo, Mike Rizzo, Macaluso, Santana, Bailey and so on, spin weekly.

Yeah, only a few of those names have spun at those 3 clubs. But all of you whiney, spoiled NYC clubbers need to wake up and realize what you've got goin for ya. If you think you've got it bad, you're just plain ignorant becuase you've got some of the best DJs/producers in the world spinning in NYC/NJ weekly.

Originally posted by mangos

You're a friggin' idiot if you make this comment. You guys in NYC might be used to having to best talent in the world spin right in your back yard...but dont take it for granted. Theres a lot of people all over the rest of the east coast and out west who would kill to have locals like JP, Vicious, Draper, Corbo, Mike Rizzo, Macaluso, Santana, Bailey and so on, spin weekly.

Yeah, only a few of those names have spun at those 3 clubs. But all of you whiney, spoiled NYC clubbers need to wake up and realize what you've got goin for ya. If you think you've got it bad, you're just plain ignorant becuase you've got some of the best DJs/producers in the world spinning in NYC/NJ weekly.

Listen numbnutz, I've spent the better part of the last ten years defining the style of house music I like. Not once did I say how bad NY has it, so don't make any assumptions about the original post that you quoted. Each person on this board is entitled to their own opinion and I believe that the venues listed all suck.

Lets check out your list of dj's

JP - was a fan up until 98, he can't hang anymore.

Vicious - never really like his style, great guy though.

Draper - not my cup of tea.

Corbo - to be honest with you, never heard him before.

Mike Rizzo - not my cup of tea.

Macaluso - not my cup of tea anymore.

Santana - sick and tired of the same old tribal bullshit.

Bailey - not my cup of tea anymore.

I've heard all these guys at one point or another, with the exception of Corbo. Webster Hall sucks as a venue period, and I would never ever set foot into that place again, regardless of who's spinning. So I can honestly say that yes according to my musical standards the above venues mentioned all suck, whether it be because of the music, crowd, and or general vibe.

What about the other NY talent that you failed to even mention? Hisham Samawi, Steven Lee, Bill Patrick and the 112 crew???? Now those are the guys I support, it's not all about some big name dj, it's about the quality of music played. Different people appreciate different styles of music, you go hear your shit, I'll go hear mine. Thanks.