Clubplanet Nightlife Community

UGLY PEOPLE: must you point them out?

wideskies

do you feel the need to comment to others about people that you consider unattractive?

say you're sitting at a cafe with some friends. a chunky, unstylishly dressed young woman walks by. do you wait till she passes, then giggle and comment on her unflattering outfit?

or you're out dancing at a club with your man and you notice a greasy-looking guy trying to attract the attention of some dashing young starlet. do you turn to your boyfriend and mock his antics?

do you think that most people do this? does it REALLY make people feel comfortable about their own appearences or is it just a mark of a mean personality?

if you do this: why do you do it?

I have yet to understand fully why people do this, but it might be a mixture of the following:

• to feel better about themselves
  • they are fashionista's, or are just used to commenting on people, good looking or bad
  • they have no tact or morals

one thing i tend to notice, is that people make fun of things that they are not use to seeing...like on a beach, seeing older men in speedos...in Europe that is such a common thing & no one dares look twice at them..but here wit my friends, they just sit there & stare & laugh about it....

i also know some people that think they are better than everyone else, so if you are different from them, you will be made fun of...

i tend to keep to myself, but if someone does sumin funny, i will laugh, but i don't normally sit there & just pick things out...i am out wit my friends to have a good time & that's all that matters..

I only comment if the person is being arrogant or obnoxious...but other than that I could care less.....I do have a friend that comments on EVERYBODY......You could be the hottest thing since sliced bread & she'll find 1,000 things wrong w/ you...But she is VERY insecure & crazy about her appearance so that should explain it

I will admit that I do have and still do this . . . and it isn't about being insecure or uncomfy with myself. I am more than confident about how I look and feel ;) I have strong opinions and yea I crack jokes. Its a mark of my bitch personality :rolleyes:

I won't go degrading obese individuals, but like the guy you described in the club, come on now if he is acting like the guys humping the girls on the SNL skit he deserves to get ridiculed . . .

my friends know I will say whatever I'm thinking and have no shame. Yea they also say Ill get my ass kicked one day for all the mocking :rolleyes::laugh: I enjoy it as fucked up as it sounds and if ya wanna crack on my be my guest . . . everything is for shits and giggles . . . I wouldn't intentionally wanna make someone feel bad or maybe I do :hey:

anyway, the reason i posted this is that it was pointed out that, while i am the sort of person who dislikes people who are deliberately and uselessly insulting to others, i too make comments about people i see on the train, out in clubs, etc.

while i don't tend to comment on people's unalterable characteristics or weight, i do say things like, "wow, those pants look really weird on his frame" or "hey, did you see that woman's haircut? bizarre!"... and it makes me wonder whether i'm coming across as hypocritical.

...i looooove to people watch...but it's never really in a negative manner...a wise ex-girlfriend told me once, that it's all about intent...are your comments intentionally cruel?...or just statements of surprise, curiosity, etc...it's only natural to watch and identify...it's part of our learning process, among other things...it's what we attach to those thoughts that we need to be wary of...

Originally posted by phatman

...i looooove to people watch...but it's never really in a negative manner...a wise ex-girlfriend told me once, that it's all about intent...are your comments intentionally cruel?...or just statements of surprise, curiosity, etc...it's only natural to watch and identify...it's part of our learning process, among other things...it's what we attach to those thoughts that we need to be wary of...

you deserve a giant slice 'o cheesecake for that :aright:

2011.JPG

Originally posted by damack

ugly people's feelings dont matter so it's ok

well, this isn't about the ugly people's feelings if they can't hear you.

it's about YOUR feelings, and the need to point out the ugliness of others. what does it mean?

Originally posted by fierydesire

I will admit that I do have and still do this . . . and it isn't about being insecure or uncomfy with myself. I am more than confident about how I look and feel ;) I have strong opinions and yea I crack jokes. Its a mark of my bitch personality :rolleyes:

I won't go degrading obese individuals, but like the guy you described in the club, come on now if he is acting like the guys humping the girls on the SNL skit he deserves to get ridiculed . . .

my friends know I will say whatever I'm thinking and have no shame. Yea they also say Ill get my ass kicked one day for all the mocking :rolleyes::laugh: I enjoy it as fucked up as it sounds and if ya wanna crack on my be my guest . . . everything is for shits and giggles . . . I wouldn't intentionally wanna make someone feel bad or maybe I do :hey:

I am sort of the same way... I would be lying through my teeth if I said I wasn't guilty of this. :rolleyes: Like Z said, I won't laugh at people b/c, say, they're fat, or just not very attractive. If someone is not dressed to suit their figure (as discussed previously- lol), or looks like they just walked off of an assembly line, yes, they will become victime to my sarcasm. And like I already told you about what I witnessed at PS-1... if someone is acting like a complete hooch or like one of the Roxbury guys; yes, they to will be laughed at.

It's partly boredom... sometimes it's because someone's actions are just so inappropriate and stand out so blatantly... I'm definitely very picky; maybe that just amounts to me being overly-critical. I am of myself- why not others as well???

WS- yeah it could be construed as hypocritical... but hey, it's not as if we all couldn't use some improvement...

wow, everyone sounds a bit defensive. i probably came out sounding more biased than i meant. ;)

i'm interested in human behavior and the motives behind it (including my own motives and behavior)... that's why i asked the question. i wasn't daring anyone to admit something that i dislike because i wanted to start an argument.

Originally posted by wideskies

anyway, the reason i posted this is that it was pointed out that, while i am the sort of person who dislikes people who are deliberately and uselessly insulting to others, i too make comments about people i see on the train, out in clubs, etc.

while i don't tend to comment on people's unalterable characteristics or weight, i do say things like, "wow, those pants look really weird on his frame" or "hey, did you see that woman's haircut? bizarre!"... and it makes me wonder whether i'm coming across as hypocritical.

everyone looks and criticizes wether it is verbal or not.

you may not say some things out loud but there are definitely thoughts going through your head.

so does thinking thoughts make you a better person than the person saying them? no way

i agree with fierydesire.

me and friends make a joke out of it.. its all for laughs.

we dont make fun of every overweight or ugly person that walks by, but some people are just asking for it.

Like overweight people in a mini skirt and belly shirt ... please its funny why not laugh or like u said a really ugly guy trying his hardest to come on to the prettiest girl in the club

as long as you dont make it obvious or laugh in the persons face

its fine

dont judge yourself for being human and thinking thoughts that everyone else is thinking.

i dont agree with being mean at all but laughin with friends is harmless.

Originally posted by jjkitten

yeah its fun to point out people who look funny or are acting stupid and ridicule them

lol j/k

but it is fun and it creates a topic of conversation

:laugh: THAT is what pisses me off...when people go j/k at the end of the sentence...Like thats not gonna make us think you're a conceited asshole (even for a chick! and thats hard to attain!) for saying what you said..

..Define 'look funny' ... Define 'acting stupid'.. 90 percent of the way those standard issue cheeseball glam idiots dance would look 'funny' to me if I were to sit there with that fucking attitude and examine it.. Then again, me doing the robot is 'funny' as well..so why fucking ridicule it?..

..Make a fucking decision, then STICK with it..:rolleyes:..

Originally posted by wideskies

wow, everyone sounds a bit defensive. i probably came out sounding more biased than i meant. ;)

LOL- I was calling YOU the hypocrite- hypocrite! :mad:

Hehe, J/K :tongue: ... but the last part of my post was actually referring to the question you asked about yourself. Just meaning that yeah, it may be hypocritical... but we all are in one form or another- you just need to either accept it as part of your personality, or work on erasing it altogether.

nah, commenting negatively on others with flaws is too easy and has no challenge and no fun. really lame.

what IS fun though is busting on the flawless, or lets say the people that THINK they are flawless, especially looks-wise.

a few years made it a habit to look through those beauty magazines, take the most flawless girl i saw in each magazine, the REALLY drop-dead georgeous girls, and find things on them, just from the picture, to bust on them hardcore.

what happened? instead of standing in front of a real hot girl and drooling like every other guy, my focus totally shifted and for example i ask her what´s up with her hairstyle, it looks a little fucked up. that it would look better if she wore it like that and that. and bam you totally stick out from all the other guys with just one sentence which says alot about you. honest, doesn´t give a fuck what people think, confident, not impressed by her beauty, high standards... mix that with some social proof (hot girls that are with you) and you´re instantly IN with many of those superficial girls.

but seriously, these superficial people are sooo easy to break down (i sometimes do it for entertainment on a girl for me and my buddies). their "personalities" that consist merely of a collection of vanity fair articles is so "cute". how can they even EXPECT to be more than toys?