Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Rave Act II! Please send an email, NY!!

RAVE ACT II!!!

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Ecstasy Awareness Act of 2003'.

SEC. 2. PROFITING FROM RAVES.

Section 416 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 856) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`© Whoever profits monetarily from a rave or similar electronic dance event, knowing or having reason to know that the unlawful use or distribution of a controlled substance occurs at the rave or similar event, shall be fined not more than $500,000 or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both. If the defendant is an organization, the fine imposable for the offense is not more than $2,000,000.'.

SEC. 3. GRANTS FOR PROSECUTION OF ECSTASY OFFENSES.

In addition to any other amounts authorized to be appropriated for such purpose, there are authorized to be appropriated to the Attorney General $10,000,000 for fiscal year 2004 to make grants to provide training to State and local prosecutors and law enforcement agents for prosecution of ecstasy offenses.

Sponsored by:

Mr. Bill PASCRELL (D-NJ)

Mr. Lee TERRY (R-NE)

Mr. Frank PALLONE (D-NJ)

Mr. Bob ETHERIDGE (D-NC)

Mr. Michael CAPUANO (D-MA)

Send an email:

http://actioncenter.drugpolicy.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=11060

It takes 2 secs...please help!!!

there's nothing to worry about....the law states that only those who profit from it will be fined and imprisoned. given the fact that raves are dead and no one ever profits from them anymore...no one will get arrested :laugh:

the sad part is most people dont realize this is gonna have an affect on everyone....club owners, rave promoters, record labels, and even dj stores. alot of people assume its just aimed at "the rave industry" but in reality it is aimed at the entire dance music community.

Originally posted by housedog

Done, In my opinion though if it doesnt pass this time they will put it on another bill, that will pass.

yup...pretty much.

the government is sneaky as hell (as we all know). we just have to keep our eyes open and watch out for what they throw on the table.

These laws are straight up bullshit. They already killed the whole electronic music scene. I sent my letter, but lets be honest here this shit is going to get passed. They couldnt care less about what we think. Just remember what happened with the Rave Act I. Same thing. Hope for the best.

Originally posted by revaluation

RAVE ACT II!!!

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Ecstasy Awareness Act of 2003'.

SEC. 2. PROFITING FROM RAVES.

Section 416 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 856) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`© Whoever profits monetarily from a rave or similar electronic dance event, knowing or having reason to know that the unlawful use or distribution of a controlled substance occurs at the rave or similar event, shall be fined not more than $500,000 or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both. If the defendant is an organization, the fine imposable for the offense is not more than $2,000,000.'.

SEC. 3. GRANTS FOR PROSECUTION OF ECSTASY OFFENSES.

In addition to any other amounts authorized to be appropriated for such purpose, there are authorized to be appropriated to the Attorney General $10,000,000 for fiscal year 2004 to make grants to provide training to State and local prosecutors and law enforcement agents for prosecution of ecstasy offenses.

Sponsored by:

Mr. Bill PASCRELL (D-NJ)

Mr. Lee TERRY (R-NE)

Mr. Frank PALLONE (D-NJ)

Mr. Bob ETHERIDGE (D-NC)

Mr. Michael CAPUANO (D-MA)

done, this amendment is rediculous.

Originally posted by dshadow35

These laws are straight up bullshit. They already killed the whole electronic music scene. I sent my letter, but lets be honest here this shit is going to get passed. They couldnt care less about what we think. Just remember what happened with the Rave Act I. Same thing. Hope for the best.

the electronic music scene was dead way before any of these laws were passed. shitty djs and lack of people coming to events is what killed it.

Originally posted by dshadow35

Actually, the first Rave act was changed quite a bit from the original. They took out the findings (glowsticks, vapor rub, etc) and the "or reasonably ought to know" clause that caused such a furor. This one should not go to the floor in its original form, either.

Trust me, we have some really dedicated and effective movements behind this cause. Your emails are really helpling. Keep 'em coming.

Originally posted by dr0ne

the electronic music scene was dead way before any of these laws were passed. shitty djs and lack of people coming to events is what killed it.

actually....that isnt what is killing it. people like you with attitudes like your own is whats killing it. although the scene has downsized....there is a decent one still going strong. you might not be looking in the right places.

Originally posted by djunity

the sad part is most people dont realize this is gonna have an affect on everyone....club owners, rave promoters, record labels, and even dj stores. alot of people assume its just aimed at "the rave industry" but in reality it is aimed at the entire dance music community.

im none of those people so i dont care btw your mad funny lol

well i am and i care. my living depends on the strenth of the electronic music scene and club culture.

maybe you will care when your favorite club gets shut down due to the rave act. im sure you will. it might be called the rave act but it just dont pertain to raves.

Originally posted by dr0ne

there's nothing to worry about....the law states that only those who profit from it will be fined and imprisoned. given the fact that raves are dead and no one ever profits from them anymore...no one will get arrested :laugh:

"...Since it is reasonable to assume that music concerts - whether rock, country, rap, or electronic music -attract some people who want to use or sell drugs, this provision makes criminals out of every concert promoter, nightclub owner, and stadium or arena owner in the country. Moreover, its broad language would allow the federal government to find and jail Kinkos’ managers, soda and alcohol distributors, and anyone else that provided goods and services to an electronic music event."

this is a protest thats going down, as far as the final vote....im not sure.

Rave Act Protest||washington, Dc||sept 6th, 2003 quote:

ROAR!, The National Dance and Music Rights Alliance

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO PARTY!

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 1PM – 12AM

HTTP://WWW.ROARGROUP.ORG

HTTP://WWW.DRUGPOLICY.ORG

Join us to protest the passage of the RAVE ACT and the continuing

assault on the EDM industry. Protest at the United Stated Capitol and

dance to the following artists for FREE! More DJs and speakers will be

added shortly. We will be sending out a "full info" email in the

coming week. For Additional info please email us @ info@roargroup.org .

ARTISTS:

Junior Vasquez

Dj Craze

Jungle Brothers

D:Fuse

The Zelch Brothers

Apple

Proxxy

more tba shortly

SPEAKERS:

Ira Glasser, President DPA

Eric Silver, System Recordings

Shawn Heller, President, SSDP

Douglas Rushkoff

Graham Boyd, ACLU

Kieth Haas, 2AM Artists

Sam “the man” Burns

EVENT LOCATION

Located @ the Upper Senate Park directly off Constitution Ave between

New Jersey NW and Delaware Ave NE found irectly North of the US Capitol

Building

Washington, DC

Parking is widely available both in the surrounding area and at Union

Station approximately 2 blocks to the North. There are facilities for

the

offloading and parking of tour buses onsite. The Upper Senate Park is

closest to

the Union Station Metrorail and train lines.

Tour Buses are being arranged from numerous cities. Please email

info@roargroup.org for any bus or general inquiries.