Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who Thinks Johnny Vicious Is The Best Dj In Nyc

Errr...Danny Tenaglia. He's the only person to have successfully keep a party going for years. JV had his chance when the Roxy was renovated and he was the resident. He failed to keep the party going. In fact, I'm sure we can pull a whole mess of threads from this board around that time where a whole bunch of you were complaining how cheesy JV was and how he should be replaced.

I think there are 3 types of DJ's.

1) A DJ who plays popular tracks that everyone knows. Those that play the big hits from the radio. They are typically shunned by the music community but loved by the radio kids.

2) The pseudo underground DJ that really doesn't have his own sound so plays the underground hits after it is proven the track is successful by other DJs. It's rare to hear something new from them. They keep themselves and the crowd going by pumping out hit after hit. These types of DJ's usually do well for the mass population but there types of DJ's are also a dime a dozen.

3) Genre benders who consistently introduce new tracks that become popular due to them introducing it to the genre. These types have a specific "sound" to them, sometimes making it hard to draw a larger crowd. Few are successful in this category but those who succeed reap great rewards (think PvD, AvB, Sasha, etc).

JV is in category 2. But I also admit, he's very good for that category.

Originally posted by djinnom

Errr...Danny Tenaglia. He's the only person to have successfully keep a party going for years.

No he's not... what about Junior Vasquez... Victor Calderone... I know that statement might not carry to the present for them, but they were rocking it for many years... esp. Junior.

someone who spins KTU music can never be the best DJ in NYC....i think people forgot that NYC has some of the biggest names in the world...i just got back from ibiza and these following names were so huge there noone would understand

Roger Sanchez

Erick Morillo

Satoshi Tomiie

Scumfrog

David Morales

Lil Louie Vega

etc

u cant even put these guys in the same category as Johnny Vicious who i must say was the first DJ i loved but as time goes on u get onto bigger and better things

Jonathan Peters is probably one of the worst DJs ive ever heard...the guys not known out of NYC, Boston, Philly or Vegas

These over grandiose statements are retarded..

It all depends on your taste. It's like someone saying

Spielberg is the best director..EVER! (lol)

There are too many flavors and too many

people playing too many different ways to say ANYONE

is THEE BEST anything.

Last three guys that blew me away LIVE

all played different styles of sounds and with different

technical approaches:

DJ RUSH breaks shit down

ON his OWN in nano seconds

at break Neck speeds..

Terrence Fixmer gets DARK

and EBM with a digital voice changer

(He even throws in nasty guitar riffs)

Laurent Garnier can go from

D&B to House to TECHNO

with a touch of BREAKS and wind

it up with electro...AND

NEVER LOSES THE CROWD!

There are too many talented DJS

out there..I go for the ones

pushing the envelope in the

music scene (i.e:Helping it evolve

in different ways)

Just cuz you have good beat matching

skills and play a 12 hour set doesn’t mean

jack shit and it sure as hell won't put

u down in any history books.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by mugwump

is THEE BEST anything.

technical approaches:

DJ RUSH breaks shit down

at break Neck speeds..

D&B to House to TECHNO

it up with electro...AND

NEVER LOSES THE CROWD!

in different ways)

Very true...and how much do your productions count when people are calling you a great DJ? People like sanchez, morillo etc, even if they were barely passable as DJ's (not true) they would still have so much props just because of their production credits they would still be some of "NY's GREATEST DJS!!!!"

Its impossible to rank DJs...its all opinion

ah christ. JV is a great dj, one of my favorites, but how can u say any one dj in new york, or anywhere for that matter is the best? with so many diferent styles, how can u compare? as far as new york trance dj, vicious is probably the best, in fact he's one of the only. but there's so many different dj's playin so many different styles.

the whole dj ranking thing is bullshit and a popularity contest. every dj is goodm they all have talent. how can u say one guy deserves to be #1 and someone else is #2, or #102. wuts the difference?

im not saying JV is the best in new york, im not saying he's not the best in new york. im just a fan, and as far as im concerned he's good. im not gonna try to place him anywhere among all the other dj's. one nite im gonna go hear vicious, another nite im gonna go hear DT, then a guest european dj. they all play different types and i like all types. and i like very dj for a different reason

Originally posted by tastyt

No he's not... what about Junior Vasquez... Victor Calderone... I know that statement might not carry to the present for them, but they were rocking it for many years... esp. Junior.

I thought he meant at this moment, not throughout history. If he did, then you are right...there's a whole mess of DJ's with various styles that JV wouldn't be able to touch. I mean, if ppl like JV, that's fine, I like him at times too.

Originally posted by mugwump

is THEE BEST anything.

technical approaches:

DJ RUSH breaks shit down

at break Neck speeds..

D&B to House to TECHNO

it up with electro...AND

NEVER LOSES THE CROWD!

in different ways)

I guess it all depends on what you define as "best". It's not like we have stats we can track as in sports players. But common sense would make it the amount of ppl that go to see a dj specifically, day in and day out, year after year, all over the world would put a DJ up in the running for being the best at what they do. I know many fall into this category in the world, but DT and until Earth died, Junior Vasquez, would fit into this category for NYC. Hell, I don't even like DT's music but I can recognize he is one of the best worldwide for the genre.

I know there's a lot of great DJ's here in NYC, but I wouldn't be able to classify the DJ who spins in his basement to 12 of his friends as someone who would be recognized as such no matter how much skill he/she has (not to say any of the names you mentioned are in this category).

Calling Johnny Vicious the best DJ in NYC means that you don't go out much, OR you are just ignorant. Though I MUST say in Johnny's defense that he has been spinning in NY for quite a long time, i.e. opening for Junior Vasquez back in day!! I have heard old recordings of Johnny spinning and he was fantastic!!! But the GARBAGE CHEESE that he plays now, puts him in the DJ Skribble category :rolleyes:

Originally posted by todd f

Calling Johnny Vicious the best DJ in NYC means that you don't go out much, OR you are just ignorant. Though I MUST say in Johnny's defense that he has been spinning in NY for quite a long time, i.e. opening for Junior Vasquez back in day!! I have heard old recordings of Johnny spinning and he was fantastic!!! But the GARBAGE CHEESE that he plays now, puts him in the DJ Skribble category :rolleyes:

Just as I can't tell you who

the BEST DJs are I also

can't tell you who the WORST

DJs are...(Though I've heard plenty that

made me leave the dance floor ASAP)

One man's cheese is another man's

GOLD. I stopped listening to Trance

halfway through the Twilo years..

it just didn't do it for me...Last

time I heard Johnny I just couldn't

get into it. In fact I hated it. But

I'm sure others on that floor

where dazzled! All good..

THREE MORE DJs THAT HAVE BLOWN

MY MIND:

Sara Walker (Bad ass..can

flip from D&B to Breaks

in a heart beat..)

Billy Nasty (cuz

he's just naasty!)

2 many DJs

(OK these are TWO guys..

Listening to them is in a category

on it's own..Anyone that can

throw in a Dolly Parton track

and mix it to Royksopp into

Vitalic into Iggy pop and

have THOUSANDS dancing to it

is insane!)

Originally posted by caponeslistao

HAND DOWN HE IS THE MAN..............

you have just reaffirmed that u and ur boyfriend LALA r by far the BIGGEST FUCKING MORONS TO EVER GRACE THE CLUB SCENE....Johnny Vicious isnt the best DJ in his own house....

best DJ in NEW YORK CITY>?? that is one bold ass statement and uve proven how much u really DONT KNOW....i wouldnt even begin to fathom who is the best NYC DJ...there's so many quality DJ's no one talks about..like Matt who does Fridays @ Abaya...Meritt...Justin Nichols...not to mention gods like Tenaglia..Vasquez..Tomiie...Morillo...Regisford..Vega...etc etc

fuck that..i dont think johnny vicious could hang with Roha or mike bugout or djjonstephens from this board....

his style is old..boring..repetitive....

DIE!

ooohhhhhhh IN NYC!

BEST DJ IN NYC..

shit that's a different story..

ok

(ahem)

Too many of em..

Ok ok..My top three

DJS in NYC:

Sara Walker still holds..

Adam X (Cuz I like the dark rides)

Selway (Cuz I like old mixed with new)

I would have also said Magda but

she moved to Berlin....

*To my liking....

Originally posted by eddie3

everyone and there mom know that Louie devito is the best in the city... if not the world

Seriously, shut up. You're not funny.

Caponeslistao, you're a fucking moron, not specifically for posting this thread, just in general. Although this thread highlights that your stupidity has no bounds.