Clubplanet Nightlife Community

RIAA sues 12 year old girl

macboy

It's a sign of the times...they're going to go after offenders of all kind...to make a statement!!! (more than anything else)...it's like the war against the distillers on the years of the prohibition in Chicago of the 1930s or the war against druglords in Miami of the 1980's...it's war baby...even if it's war against babies

:confused:

The music industry moguls need all the money they can get a hold of to remain moguls...it's actually way more complicated than just saying "well, they have a lot of money, why do they want more?"

No, no, no...you have to understand that music empresarios (the real ones) are like royalty, definitively way over the regular joe...think the likes of David Geffen, Chris Blackwell, Quincy Jones...I mean...do you or don't you want to see more Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelins, U2s...without capital for super-artist-development...the music industry is condemned to shit like Britneys, Justins and some other fabricated clones.

I would like to see more bands being nurtured and brought up to full development...without money, it will just be a thing of the past...that is the first thing that crossed my mind when I found out that you could get music for free...I was like "damn! no more rock super stars"...we need to support excess and decadence, whatever it takes

My 2 centavos

;)

Originally posted by djreiss

does anyone know how the riaa are tracing the offenders?

simple

they trace people from message boards and internet websites.

then they go on P2P programs and nabb your ass..

but only a few P2P allow RIAA anymore, the RIAA is banned from most transfer programs..

also you can bann the RIAA from your websites.

im suprised this homo dave hasnt banned the riaa, but he will bann links to danny tenaglias message forum:confused:

Originally posted by funketeer

Your computer generates an IP address...that's how they trace you...super-fucking-easy! :D

I know about IP addresses, but i was curious..say for example, if i was to use P2P software (not that i would dare infringe any copyright laws) they would have to connect to my computer during file sharing to obtain my IP address, trace my IP to my ISP and obtain my personal details from my ISP! does that sound about right?

not that i am concerned or anything :rolleyes:

I know about IP addresses, but i was curious..say for example, if i was to use P2P software (not that i would dare infringe any copyright laws) they would have to connect to my computer during file sharing to obtain my IP address, trace my IP to my ISP and obtain my personal details from my ISP! does that sound about right?

they're coming to get ya! :eek:

Guest saleen351

But heres the real kicker of the story, what happens when file sharing of music has dramaticaly gone down, yet sales haven't gone up???

Well in the shortrun, you'll see the whole "people are going to start buying soon, we are reintroducing them to buying music legaly".

But what happens when sales don't go up???? << you won't hear a peep out of any dj or producer on this subject, they are gambling and are going to loose.

And that one label that lowered prices sent shock waves threw the market...

The industry is in shambles based on price fixing, price floors, and greed.

Good luck RIAA, you even have congress comming down on you...

Actually you don't need to be online for them to trace you. Most of these services keep logs of information like IP's and they can at anytime find what IP was connected. Then they can find out from the ISP who owned that IP during a certain span of time and obtain your identity that way. But from what I understand many ISP's are not allowing the RIAA access to user records. If you are worried call your ISP and ask if they are cooperating with the RIAA. =)

The music industry fucked up when they raised CD prizes to ridiculous heights...fuckin' $17 for a piece of shit plastic circle that cost less than 1 cent? It was just a stupidly ambitious move from their part...in return, that fucking Napster genius kicked the industry in the balls with his software and what I can't help but see as the end of the music industry as we knew it...the end...they can chase after 12 year old girls, but the truth is...the dammage has been done...the end.

Sales will never go back up to what they where...no more record breaking sales and all that romanticism...gone...history...for a music buff like me and I bet, many of you...it is sad...nostalgic, if you will.

Originally posted by djm

Actually you don't need to be online for them to trace you. Most of these services keep logs of information like IP's and they can at anytime find what IP was connected. Then they can find out from the ISP who owned that IP during a certain span of time and obtain your identity that way. But from what I understand many ISP's are not allowing the RIAA access to user records. If you are worried call your ISP and ask if they are cooperating with the RIAA. =)

Actually, the IP logs won't do any good unless you go in and see what the person provided on his shared drive in terms of copyrighted material. Just being on Kazaa or any of these other sites is not enough. If you see how the RIAA is wording their language, they are not targeting downloaders, but rather uploaders (though we know people do both).

Guest saleen351

Another way an alleged file trader might succeed in defending a lawsuit is by relying on the 1992 Audio Home Recording Act (AHRA), which could provide some form of legal immunization for peer-to-peer users. Napster unsuccessfully invoked the AHRA when the music industry sued it into oblivion, but courts might be more sympathetic to individual users, some legal experts believe.

The law says no lawsuit may be brought that alleges copyright infringement based on the "noncommercial use by a consumer of such a (digital audio recording device) or medium for making digital musical recordings." The latest generation of multimedia PCs that are equipped with CD and DVD burners may qualify as a digital audio recording device, the thinking goes, which would mean the AHRA applies.

Jessica Litman, a law professor at Wayne State University who testified before Congress when the AHRA was being debated, said it's "an argument I'd expect to see made, and it's possible that it will succeed.

"It's absolutely clear from the legislative history that Congress' attempt at the time was to protect all noncommercial forms of music copying, period. Consumers were exempt from making noncommercial copies of digital or analog music recordings...The argument hasn't been made since (Napster), but there hasn't been a consumer in front of the court. With a consumer in front of the court, the argument becomes significantly more compelling."

Like Dumond, Lynette Neuman, a Concord, Calif., resident also named by the RIAA lawsuits said she was given no warning before reporters contacted her. She also declined to divulge any information about her own situation.

Many RIAA lawsuit targets are still waiting to see what they are accused of before deciding whether to fight or settle.

"What I don't know is exactly what I'm supposed to have done," Dumond said

from cnet.com

If you're concerned about a few big companies controlling our country's

access to news, information, and entertainment, please join me in

letting Congress know now.

Later this week or early next week, the Senate will likely take up its

last major vote on media reform, and it'll be very close. After a

grassroots groundswell tipped the balance toward rolling back the FCC

rule change that would allow greater media concentration, lobbyists from

big media conglomerates have been working around the clock to tip it

back.

On Wednesday, MoveOn.org will be holding a crucial press conference with

Senator Dorgan (D-ND) and Senator Snowe (R-ME) and groups across the

political spectrum to highlight the broad opposition to the FCC rule

change. MoveOn needs to show that over 100,000 people have voiced their

demand that the Senate vote to roll back the rule change. Please help us

reach 100,000 signers by this Wednesday --

you can join me in signing at:

<http://www.moveon.org/stopthefcc/> http://www.moveon.org/stopthefcc/

Stop the FCC

It's a sign of the times...they're going to go after offenders of all kind...to make a statement!!! (more than anything else)...it's like the war against the distillers on the years of the prohibition in Chicago of the 1930s or the war against druglords in Miami of the 1980's...it's war baby...even if it's war against babies

The music industry moguls need all the money they can get a hold of to remain moguls...it's actually way more complicated than just saying "well, they have a lot of money, why do they want more?"

No, no, no...you have to understand that music empresarios (the real ones) are like royalty, definitively way over the regular joe...think the likes of David Geffen, Chris Blackwell, Quincy Jones...I mean...do you or don't you want to see more Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelins, U2s...without capital for super-artist-development...the music industry is condemned to shit like Britneys, Justins and some other fabricated clones.

I would like to see more bands being nurtured and brought up to full development...without money, it will just be a thing of the past...that is the first thing that crossed my mind when I found out that you could get music for free...I was like "damn! no more rock super stars"...we need to support excess and decadence, whatever it takes

My 2 centavos

;)

This doesn't make any sense.

Justin and Britney are fabricated because they have HUGE investments upfront to bring them to the public.

Rolling Stones and U2 were small bands before they became mega super stars...

And isn't it the music that's important? U2 are U2 because of their music, not because they are a "nurtured" super star group.

The music industry fucked up when they raised CD prizes to ridiculous heights...fuckin' $17 for a piece of shit plastic circle that cost less than 1 cent?

Sorry to be picking on you... :)

But you're not putting $16.99 in the pockets of one music executive...

The artists should get theirs, and the people responsible for bringing the artist to you should get theirs (production, marketing, distribution etc).

The best solution for music enthusiasts who don't want to fatten the pockets of th non-musicians is for direct distribution over the internet.

And yes, the RIAA is hampering this process with scrare mongering tactics.