Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Avalon NYC Opens Tomorrow ...

vipnerd

Perhaps one of the top clubs in the country ... Avalon-Boston is expanding to NYC ... :eek:

Grand opening tomorrow in the old Limelight location ...

Seb Fontaine and Saeed & Palash are the guests ...

Avalon's residents John Debo and Ali Ajami have taken Avalon to the world scale ... holding one of the most desired residencies in the country ... and having some of the most exquisite guests sharing the dex with them ...

The opening of Avalon NYC will certainly add some more flavour to the nitelife in the city ... where Crobar will also open at the old Tunnel location ... :D

Let's see what happens in clubland NYC ... :shades2:

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by vipnerd

attachment.php?postid=1725007

line was around the block last week... many from the other nyc boards went there... it wasn't billed as a grand opening..

Originally posted by saleen351

line was around the block last week... many from the other nyc boards went there... it wasn't billed as a grand opening..

True ...

Grand Opening tomorrow ...

This peeps are gonna give the rest of clubs a ride ...

And yes ... Ali Ajami and John Debo hold one of the most desired residencies in inthe country ... :D

john debo is THE BEST resident dj in the states.. a musical genious - one of the few guys who really truely mixes in Key. Ali is wicked also - what a tandom - debo is a bliss dj actually and we have already spoken of an axis / nerve resident swap for an evening which is in the works to happen before yrs end:D

mixing in key means exactly as it sounds - mixing in key keeping the entire night in a musical flow... it does limit you a bit as far as choices but makes for a much more flowing set and musically it just sounds amazing.. very few guys have the ear and ability to play like this.. the only ones I know who do it for certain are John Debo, Sasha, John Digweed, Dave Seaman, and Anthony Pappa.. I am sure more guys play like this but I know these guys do it for sure... in some respects it does limit you but in others in totally enhances your performance..

Originally posted by jcbliss

mixing in key means exactly as it sounds - mixing in key keeping the entire night in a musical flow... it does limit you a bit as far as choices but makes for a much more flowing set and musically it just sounds amazing.. very few guys have the ear and ability to play like this.. the only ones I know who do it for certain are John Debo, Sasha, John Digweed, Dave Seaman, and Anthony Pappa.. I am sure more guys play like this but I know these guys do it for sure... in some respects it does limit you but in others in totally enhances your performance..

Shem is the master of mixing in key ...

Most of them receive so many records that they mark the keys on the outer cover of their vynil ... as a guide ...

Their set flows thru keys ... when the track selection is there ... it is amazing ... when not ... it flops big time ...

I believe key mixing is appropiate to a big room thou ... where the flow of a set is a story teller ... doesn't require a constant push of beats in order to not lose the crowd ... as in a smaller room ... just my humble opinion ... :shades2:

I don't think I have ever heard the term "mixing in key" before but I do believe I have been lucky enough to hear DJs that actually are gifted enouch to do so. One that stands out in my mind is Mark Farina.

In my humle opinion, when a DJ is able to "mix in key" he/she actually has to have a great ear for music as Jon stated and subsequently the DJ is able to select tracks in which the Harmonics, Partials and Overtones of each track are so well matched that the set seems to flow seamlessly and tracks form an amalgamation of sound. I have heard artists play in this way and just stood there in awe as the set flowed and the music seemed so well planned that I just couldn't tell where one track began and the other ended....very rare, but great to see and hear when it happens!

Originally posted by lyrik

I don't think I have ever heard the term "mixing in key" before but I do believe I have been lucky enough to hear DJs that actually are gifted enouch to do so. One that stands out in my mind is Mark Farina.

In my humle opinion, when a DJ is able to "mix in key" he/she actually has to have a great ear for music as Jon stated and subsequently the DJ is able to select tracks in which the Harmonics, Partials and Overtones of each track are so well matched that the set seems to flow seamlessly and tracks form an amalgamation of sound. I have heard artists play in this way and just stood there in awe as the set flowed and the music seemed so well planned that I just couldn't tell where one track began and the other ended....very rare, but great to see and hear when it happens!

Most of those DJs do have a music background ... hence ... they mark their records to keys ... to find them faster ...

It is used for track selection ... which in many cases flops ... as a crowd gets lost in the way ... but if they are on target ... you are in for a f***ing treat ... :shades2:

I had the pleasure of hearing Ali Ajami at Avalon Boston a few weeks ago as an opener for Felix Da Housecat. Boston clubs close at 2 AM so the club is only open for 4 hours meaning that the resident and guest split the time evenly. Ali had the right music for the night, played it extremely well and had the floor moving when Felix came on. I was impressed. Debo and Ajami are a wonderful resident team.

As for mixing in key...I learned about this a few years ago from Sasha who gave me the whole lesson and demonstration one afternoon over tea...believe it or not...tea...really. I'm not a DJ but I can tell you that watching him do this and explain it in that setting was an amazing experience.

not really as rare as you may think, almost all professional dj's do it to some extent or other, it's a no brainer to pick a bunch of records that are all in the key of E (and produced at the same speed!) and play only them.... a much more flexible approach is to be able to pick records of different keys, that have notes that sound good together, if you're really good you can just pick 'em, but if not you can still listen to your next record in the headphones, and see how it fits harmonically with the one already playing, if they fit somehow great, they might be in the same key, or they may be in different keys yet with certain notes that sound harmonicly harmonious together, if you know music theory then you might be able to name these exotic intervals, like "diminished 7th" or whatever, but if you don't it doesn't matter, if it sounds good it sounds good period, and sometimes even clashing disonance can be interesting, as long as it's not held for too long.... Now on the other hand if the next record you're bringing in sounds like shit with the one that is already playing then you have 2 choices, pick another record, or engineer an extremely short yet elegant transition so that there are no notes overlapping between the 2 tracks at any moment

now some dj styles allow for these kinds of abrupt transitions, whereas usually with progressive house everyone expects very long and smooth transitions, and most prog records are produced with long intros and outros with just beats and sound effects, so there's no chance of out-of-key clashes anyway

I hope this clarifies the issue somewhat :confused::)