Clubplanet Nightlife Community

VIP Friday's?

kslik

I am from around here, I was just trying to do some research on how people felt about VIP Friday's. Actually that whole area on Friday? UP, Home, VIP?

I was hoping that having an idea of what makes certain places sub-par would help me understand why the other places now seem to be "just average".

Originally posted by kslik

I was hoping that having an idea of what makes certain places sub-par would help me understand why the other places now seem to be "just average".

the standard should be a DJ and crowd who take the music seriously.

That, as opposed to some hack dropping the latest spoon fed radio shit to a bunch of of former frat daddies and speaker ho's just looking for the next free drink.

that whole street is filled with sub par places...Platinum, Home, Insomnia up the street. I have been to a few sub par clubs but those are beyond description.

VIP has the potential to be a good club, when and if they bring some dj's that are not into top 40 music. Unfortunately, that's what the crowd wants to hear. Bad dj's ...which attract a bad crowd. Personally, I am willing to tolerate the crowd if the music was better. Demographics plays a large part in that too. VIP used to better (music, that is) when it was called Earth some yrs ago, at least they played International music.

Hard to believe the good old 9.30 club was there.

Nothing can compete on Fri anyway, since I read buzz was back.

Originally posted by kslik

I am from around here, I was just trying to do some research on how people felt about VIP Friday's. Actually that whole area on Friday? UP, Home, VIP?

Originally posted by nyckitty69

Personally, I am willing to tolerate the crowd if the music was better. Demographics plays a large part in that too. VIP used to better (music, that is) when it was called Earth some yrs ago, at least they played International music.

check out mike haddad's thread on the board, they've got a few nice things going on at Home in the next couple of months.

Guest jroo
Originally posted by revaluation

the standard should be a DJ and crowd who take the music seriously.

That, as opposed to some hack dropping the latest spoon fed radio shit to a bunch of of former frat daddies and speaker ho's just looking for the next free drink.

hey! you be nice to the speaker hoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you ever felt the people's elbow from the top speaker??

I agree that a lot of clubs book crappy DJ's who don't know house music from jungle. Their idea of house tracks include: "One More Time", "Sandstorm" and "You're Better off Alone". This combined with patrons who don't understand what WE consider to be "good music" is mainstream club culture. I'm not going to knock what VIP & Plantinum are trying to do (which is run a business). They're out to make money, not to educate the masses.

If you haven't taken a look around, Hip-hop is the most popular form of music in America. The majority of people who go out to clubs want to hear hip hop. Remember AIR a few weeks ago when Masoud asked S&P to play hip-hop? Remember this past Saturday @ andalu when Junior Salinas took over after my set? The crowd went nuts the minute hip-hop started playing on the system. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the hip-hop culture, especially since it went through the same challenges EDM is facing today.

Clubs like VIP cater to a particular crowd. If you've ever been there or MCCXXIII, Ozio, Platinum, etc., you'll know that these places are filled with people who are dressed to the nines, ready to spend hundreds of dollars on table service, bottles of expensive champagne and want to stand in line behind velvet ropes only to stand around all night in miniscule VIP rooms. They are not there to hear the new tribal remix of Luzon's "Manila Sunrise" or to dance all night to a 12 hour set by Danny Tenaglia. However, they will shake their rumps to "In Da Club" no matter where they are.

I say let these clubs continue booking DJ's who play mainstream. It'll keep people we consider to be "lame" inside the walls of pretentious clubs and away from us, while we continue to enjoy the freedom to show up in sneakers and UFO's in venues who book quality EDM DJs who know how to play what WE want to hear.

My 2 cents...

Originally posted by djraykang

I agree that a lot of clubs book crappy DJ's who don't know house music from jungle. Their idea of house tracks include: "One More Time", "Sandstorm" and "You're Better off Alone". This combined with patrons who don't understand what WE consider to be "good music" is mainstream club culture. I'm not going to knock what VIP & Plantinum are trying to do (which is run a business). They're out to make money, not to educate the masses.

If you haven't taken a look around, Hip-hop is the most popular form of music in America. The majority of people who go out to clubs want to hear hip hop. Remember AIR a few weeks ago when Masoud asked S&P to play hip-hop? Remember this past Saturday @ andalu when Junior Salinas took over after my set? The crowd went nuts the minute hip-hop started playing on the system. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the hip-hop culture, especially since it went through the same challenges EDM is facing today.

Clubs like VIP cater to a particular crowd. If you've ever been there or MCCXXIII, Ozio, Platinum, etc., you'll know that these places are filled with people who are dressed to the nines, ready to spend hundreds of dollars on table service, bottles of expensive champagne and want to stand in line behind velvet ropes only to stand around all night in miniscule VIP rooms. They are not there to hear the new tribal remix of Luzon's "Manila Sunrise" or to dance all night to a 12 hour set by Danny Tenaglia. However, they will shake their rumps to "In Da Club" no matter where they are.

I say let these clubs continue booking DJ's who play mainstream. It'll keep people we consider to be "lame" inside the walls of pretentious clubs and away from us, while we continue to enjoy the freedom to show up in sneakers and UFO's in venues who book quality EDM DJs who know how to play what WE want to hear.

My 2 cents...

you rock, Ray. :love2:

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Oh, please. Like you know. Last time you actually went out, VIP was called DC Live.

i'll have you know that i was forced to go there last month for a bachelor party . . .

and yes, the other time i went there it was dc live . . .