Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The real reason y NYC clubs have changed

OK we all love NYC and for the past year people have been writing on these boards about how the Club's in NYC are not what they used to be... some people think it was 911 some think it was the X mayor and so on,,, But what i think changed it was....E,,,Back in 98 E was at its peak in NYC but over in small towns in NJ people were trying it for the first time, I mean i have seen cops,teachers,and meny others who i think would never try the shit doing it in NYC,,,They would never do it in there own town cause they were afraid of someone seeing them so they all went to the CLUBS in NYC,,,, but soon you would here more and more about E,, in the papers on the news it was all over, soon the clubs came down hard on the shit,,, after a few years the people moved on from the pill...now two the the best clubs the TUNNLE and Twilo are no more as of september of 2001...I have been going to NY clubs for over 9 years and wish nothing but luck to all who are trying to bring the VIBE back..........

Originally posted by tunnle

OK we all love NYC and for the past year people have been writing on these boards about how the Club's in NYC are not what they used to be... some people think it was 911 some think it was the X mayor and so on,,, But what i think changed it was....E,,,Back in 98 E was at its peak in NYC but over in small towns in NJ people were trying it for the first time, I mean i have seen cops,teachers,and meny others who i think would never try the shit doing it in NYC,,,They would never do it in there own town cause they were afraid of someone seeing them so they all went to the CLUBS in NYC,,,, but soon you would here more and more about E,, in the papers on the news it was all over, soon the clubs came down hard on the shit,,, after a few years the people moved on from the pill...now two the the best clubs the TUNNLE and Twilo are no more as of september of 2001...I have been going to NY clubs for over 9 years and wish nothing but luck to all who are trying to bring the VIBE back..........

that plus a mix of other things to

i respect your opinion, but a lot was going around before 98 and the e generation. if this be your call, then i would think coke and AIDS in the 80's would give good reason for the scene to fade back then.

no to sound too democratic,... but WE are the scene and WE have the power to tell it were to go and what to do....when there is a will there is a way. :)

yea e killed everything :rolleyes:

e has been around forever

it didnt just come on the scene like arnold and blow everyone up

its a pill not a fuckin scene killer

the scene is dead b.c of the government ie: mayors, senators, governors, cops, people with agendas, or people needing publicity for votes

Originally posted by crowina

i respect your opinion, but a lot was going around before 98 and the e generation. if this be your call, then i would think coke and AIDS in the 80's would give good reason for the scene to fade back then.

no to sound too democratic,... but WE are the scene and WE have the power to tell it were to go and what to do....when there is a will there is a way. :)

veeery well said......:aright:

I def think the government cracking down on clubs has been very detrimental to the scene. But I also think that djs have been changing too.. Not ALL of them, but i've noticed that now since "club music" has become more mainstream, some djs that used to be huge in the underground scene are compromising their talents to appeal to the masses...I may get shot for saying this on here, but i think that some djs have sold out and are now watering down their talent to appeal to more people... which will then in turn allow the djs to make more $$$...

So this is the real reason? Nice, I wondering what the fuck was going on down there.

Originally posted by karisma

i think that some djs have sold out and are now watering down their talent to appeal to more people... which will then in turn allow the djs to make more $$$...

agreed...:aright:

- but thats how 'most' musicians are - once they get the dough- they start to suck...

Originally posted by bbbooom

yea e killed everything :rolleyes:

e has been around forever

it didnt just come on the scene like arnold and blow everyone up

its a pill not a fuckin scene killer

the scene is dead b.c of the government ie: mayors, senators, governors, cops, people with agendas, or people needing publicity for votes

I *think* what he meant is that E's popularity grew to the point where everyone and their mother started taking it and then started going to clubs... which resulted not only in a major change in the "type" of people who were clubbing, but it also drew tons more media and police attention to clubs in general... hence the crackdown and closing of some of the city's legendary venues.

But no way, no how, do I agree that a new drug will bring clubland back to its former days of glory. All that will do is bring more attention to it, along with further closings.

I partly agree with Karisma's point though... it's true that a LOT of the old-school djs have changed their style, sold out, what have you... resulting in a more mainstream sound, and again, attracting more people who would otherwise not have been interested in the scene... but on the other hand, there are still just as many djs out there who are playing more underground sounds... you just have to go to more underground venues to find them.

What killed the scene was not drugs or gov but greed. 10yrs ago when everything was at a high point there was a door policy in NYC clubs. If you did not have a certain look or style you were not allowed in. Nowadays all one needs is 25 bucks and a pair of Fake gucci sunglasses.

Then everyone and their mother started comming to the clubs. I hate to say it but the gov did not care when gay men were OD'ing and dying, it was not until White suburban or medical students OD'ed and tragically died. Then the media and Gov got it in their heads to regulate these clubs. No door policy meant undercover cops could get into any dance club. Every numnut from suberbia who thought they were OG's were selling E out in the open to cops.

It sure as hell was not E or any type of Drug b/c then clubs would of been closed a long time ago.

I was around back in the day when the parties were something to remember

You would walk away from every night with nothing but laughter and you would count the days to do it again

I believe the shit rolls downward

It all starts from the top and filters down .. and the DJ is big part of this of this community

If they don’t care then this feeling gets reflected on the crowd and next thing you know that crowd has then same frown on their face

Give and you shall receive

A DJ just does not spin music they should be involved with every key moment of the night making sure that there is nothing but smiles and hands in the air on that Floor

I believe that if you give people Bad mellow beats that they will turn to get help and this will be the Drugs I understand that Drugs play their role in the scene but they should not be the main reason you paid $30 to be there

You need to know that this night will be off the hook and you will be riding the best high this world has to give and that’s is energy from Music

Music is the Primary reason all these strangers gather to one room at strange hours of the morning

They should not be disappointed and they should all walk away friends

Just venting !!!

darkerheadshot2.JPG

“To torture is to be silent …to die is to stop listeningâ€

Quote by Frankie Velez