Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Simons - Gainsville 13 Year Anniversary

marcodavalos

Simons turns 13 this Saturday November 8th. :eek:

Simons has become one of the longest running and most highly touted dance music clubs in the United States. In the mid nineties it served as the blueprint for other clubs, which found inspirtation from Simons' music direction.

Congratulations to Joe C and the Simons crew.

Respect.

ahhh. my memories of simons

Garth in the loft, locked down all night, then all day

mark farina sunset party at soulhouse ah . . . . then all night listening to him jam to 4 of us then all morning

Danny T. playing all kinds of different music, not just the tribal crap he has played for the last years.

Zodiac parties

after parties in Simons house until the wee hours

Good times.

Simons is now commercial though, but mad props regardless!!

Also guys, DJ Chang is in town (simons resident for like 8 years or something)

Peace

JB

i love the plasma lounge .. no other place anywhere like it .. :)

only got to go a couple of times and unfortunately not for any legendary parties .. I saw Stryke there way back before I knew what techno was and I also saw John Digweed on crazy July night. I miss that place. The sound still bumps but that 2am law really kills them imagine being able to go till 6 or 7 in the am and then you can go till 1:50am b/c the police are there turning off the dj at 2 :(

its very unfortunate .. gainesville was one of the birthplaces of the electronic scene in florida along with orlando.

i heard about a party at simons with hawtin/aquaviva playing till the whee hours of the afternoon.

It has a very dark and warehousey feel and the vibe was usually off the wall everyone there having a blast.

Can't make it up this weekend but I will try to make a trip up to gville soon.

Good luck Dave/Joe :)

Originally posted by rcrespo

i heard about a party at simons with hawtin/aquaviva playing till the whee hours of the afternoon.

There were many many nights when that sort of thing happened.

It was a rarity for me to ever leave the club at close (Maybe once or twice) and god knows I spent many many late nights there.

Originally posted by skywalker01

saw rabbit in the moon at simon's (or maybe the place across the street...florida theater??) on new year's eve in the mid 90's and went to soulhouse for afterhours w dj three. damn, that seems like soooo long ago. some great time fo' sho':D

It was at the Florida Theater for New Year's. I was there. :D

That was one of the finer Rabbit performances.

MANY a time i've partied at simons. whether it be the anniversary, gemini or gator growl party, i was there. i can still remember at one anniversary party i went to, simon had to close the doors of the club and lock everyone in for a little while b/c the cops were waiting to peg any underage drinkers as they walked outside.

reason? in celebration of the anniversary - simon had an open bar at 7am...for everyone! talk about class.

Originally posted by dpreston

hey FX you played at the awareness parties right :) weren't you friends with kris volpe?

Actually, me and my dear friends Pete and Sarah were responsible for developing and implementing the whole idea of awareness. Yes...I remember Kris...good kid!!!

here's a lil' blast from the past...

awareness1a.jpgawareness1b.jpg

awareness2a.jpgawareness2b.jpg

awareness3a.jpgawareness3b.jpg

FX